MAIL 3.0 Feature Requests
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

kerb wrote:
A 100MB table is really not that big. I have customers with tables in the 100's of gigabytes. The hardware varies but a dual proc Dell 2850 would be typical.

Just sayin'

Indexing a large table is a huge strain in a multi-user web environment, especially when you're talking Virtual Hosting, rather then dedicated high-end sever machines.

Even taking dedicated local hosting and a single user into account, I doubt the speed of a bunch of next-row reads on a 100+Gb table would be anything short of excrutiatingly slow...

Just because I do this stuff in my spare time, and my real job is an unrelated field job that makes me happy and doesn't require me to stroke the corporatge cockshaft, doesn't mean I don't know my dren.

Just sayin'

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
kerb wrote:
A 100MB table is really not that big. I have customers with tables in the 100's of gigabytes. The hardware varies but a dual proc Dell 2850 would be typical.

Just sayin'

Indexing a large table is a huge strain in a multi-user web environment, especially when you're talking Virtual Hosting, rather then dedicated high-end sever machines.

Even taking dedicated local hosting and a single user into account, I doubt the speed of a bunch of next-row reads on a 100+Gb table would be anything short of excrutiatingly slow...

Just because I do this stuff in my spare time, and my real job is an unrelated field job that makes me happy and doesn't require me to stroke the corporatge cockshaft, doesn't mean I don't know my dren.

Just sayin'

On a table of that size indexing (at the database level) is important, as is query construction. But it's definitely doable to have large tables and maintain performance. You do want to avoid iterating through them row by row though.

I didn't intend to disparage your skills. Love the site. I program full time and recently starting making chainmail jewelry as a hobby. Learned a lot here!

Posted on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:19 am

kerb wrote:
On a table of that size indexing (at the database level) is important, as is query construction. But it's definitely doable to have large tables and maintain performance. You do want to avoid iterating through them row by row though.

I didn't intend to disparage your skills. Love the site. I program full time and recently starting making chainmail jewelry as a hobby. Learned a lot here!

Apologies for jumping down your throat... I've had a long couple of weeks... Anyone who knows me here knows that wasn't the real DL talking... I just saw a user making a first post, made an assumption, and ran with it... Offense wasn't taken, I was just in a nasty mood... 126hr week, followed by an 80hr week...

Posted on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
kerb wrote:

Apologies for jumping down your throat... I've had a long couple of weeks... Anyone who knows me here knows that wasn't the real DL talking... I just saw a user making a first post, made an assumption, and ran with it... Offense wasn't taken, I was just in a nasty mood... 126hr week, followed by an 80hr week...

I can relate man.. It's almost 11am and I've been up since about 8am yesterday (except for the hour I fell asleep at the keyboard at 2am)..
Release time sucks!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm

In regards to searching the site for articles, would it be possible to make it so that either when the search results come up, it shows what category that article is in, or have that information listed at the top of each article (with or without the search)?

Here is my problem. I've probably read through at least 80% (probably more) of the articles at some point, but I can never remember where to find them again. I will look through all of the obvious categories, and then the less obvious ones. I occasionally try to look through all of the categories, but I can never find the article I am looking for until I use the search function. This helps me find the specific article, but I still do not know where it is kept on the site so I can't advise people on where to look for the information. I can only give specific links.

Given that, I think updating the articles to list what section they are located under at the top of each article has the most potential for helping the greatest number of people. If not, including that information in the search would at least help me (and probably others) to help people.

And, technically, I suppose a third option would be if anyone wants to try to rearrange the articles into more logical sections, then, that would solve the problem, too. But if I'm the only one who doesn't understand the categorization system, then I doubt anyone will care enough to rearrange anything.

Posted on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:20 am

I think a rating sytem would be awesome. Smile

How hard/expensive/time consuming would changing to a dedicated server system be, and is it therefore even an option? Would there be enough benefits over what we have now (like those 80MB tables) to warrant the switch?

(Sorry if these questions are stupid but my nerdliness lies outside of the techy side of the internet)

I use the browser on my PSP for internet (the desktop died on me T_T) and I've had a glitch with my posts being posted multiple times.

Posted on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 am

fredfredburger wrote:
I think a rating sytem would be awesome. Smile

How hard/expensive/time consuming would changing to a dedicated server system be, and is it therefore even an option? Would there be enough benefits over what we have now (like those 80MB tables) to warrant the switch?

(Sorry if these questions are stupid but my nerdliness lies outside of the techy side of the internet)

I use the browser on my PSP for internet (the desktop died on me T_T) and I've had a glitch with my posts being posted multiple times.

A rating system, is a non-issue... Were this something we were considering looking into, and it's on my list a future possibility, it's simple.

The dicussion here was regarding being able to say "Hey! I want to keep track of this!" with an unlimited headroom... Which is just unfeasable...

No amount of power is going to help when you've got a large number of users going around and clicking "I want to see this later" on half the site.

Doing it on a much smaller, limited scale, is doable, and a distinct possiblity for the future Smile

As for the double-posting issue, I suspect it's unrelated to the PSP browser itself, but more likely the latency in the 802.11b wifi connection causing a double submission.
I suspect (or at least hope) that the web browser on the PSP is properly compliant.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Would it be possible to be able to create a way to see multiple weaves side by side?

As I am going through and trying to understand they why's of weaves I find myself wanting to compare images side by side and there is no easy way to do that. It would be nice to have a 'compare weaves' button where you can select certain weave entries and have them displayed together. Sort of like when comparing products that you want to buy.

*DL goes and gets his bat to get some batting practice with MM Smile *

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi DL,

Still loving the search by AR feature but I was wondering if it could be refined any. I was recently searching for weaves with AR 3.9 so I figured the best search with the current system was using "around" "4.0" but this gave me about 20 pages of results (which I did actually look all the way through in the end! Coif LoL ) . Would it be possible to specify the tolerance on "around" or have more options in the AR drop down?

I know nothing about coding so I don't know if this would be complicated or not.

I know that no system will be perfect(no offence intended!) as the ideal AR is subjective and there are ways to use aspect ratios that wouldn't normally work for a weave (for instance I once alternated rings sizes in JPL because I didn't have any that worked on their own). However sometimes I just don't feel like looking through so many results!

Thanks for reading.

Posted on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 am

catastrophe_777 wrote:
Still loving the search by AR feature but I was wondering if it could be refined any. I was recently searching for weaves with AR 3.9 so I figured the best search with the current system was using "around" "4.0" but this gave me about 20 pages of results (which I did actually look all the way through in the end! Coif LoL ) . Would it be possible to specify the tolerance on "around" or have more options in the AR drop down?

In short, yes.

Longer Version:
The existing 'Search By AR' page was a quick thrown-together hack...
(Hence the 'go my flying monkeys!' button)

Eventually the option to search for weaves will encompass the option to, for example:
Search for weaves with an AR within .2 of 3.9 tagged as Persian that have Gallery Image Examples

I may, however, tune the AR search a bit in the meanwhile. Very Happy

Posted on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:08 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

The existing 'Search By AR' page was a quick thrown-together hack...
(Hence the 'go my flying monkeys!' button)

Are we getting rid of the flying monkeys? I hope not because the flying monkeys have helped me learn a lot of weaves over the past month or so. I mean really who wouldn't want to command around the flying monkeys? Coif LoL

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Eventually the option to search for weaves will encompass the option to, for example:
Search for weaves with an AR within .2 of 3.9 tagged as Persian that have Gallery Image Examples

I may, however, tune the AR search a bit in the meanwhile. Very Happy

Awesome!!! *Bounce* Coif LoL

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey DL, I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, but how difficult would a sort of notification system be for when one's image is accepted to the gallery? I reckon it'd be a nice touch. Also, I love the "go my flying monkeys" button, for the record.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 am

DL I love what you have done with the gallery search features. I love the searching by tags. A Question: Would it be possible to search by multiple tags at some time?

For example: Inlays, European 4 in 1, EC...

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 am

MusicMan wrote:
DL I love what you have done with the gallery search features. I love the searching by tags. A Question: Would it be possible to search by multiple tags at some time?

For example: Inlays, European 4 in 1, EC...

You already can... Sorta...
The backend is in place, it's just lacking a front end... Right now you need to butcher up your own URL

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerylist.php?tags=Inlay+AND+Copper&weavetags=European+4+in+1

Jump to:  
Page 13 of 16. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next