Captive Inverted Round
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Captive Inverted Round
Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:09 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

First post Very Happy As is fitting, I have a question.

CIR is something of my white whale. I play around with it every once in a while, but never can get the hang of it. For some reason, every time I try it flies apart on me--I can't get my hands to work in the way I seem to need to. I understand the theory behind it (and have read the articles here), but can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone offer some advice?

For reference, I'm using 17 gauge aluminum wire. This is a practice piece, and aluminum is cheap. Smile I'm also not entirely new to this. I've been lurking around the site for a while now, getting ideas and reading articles. Experimented with a bunch of different weaves, primarily in the European and Persian families I know the basics, in other words. The links I'm using are cut via the score-and-cut method, but I have a jeweler's saw if need be (my wife doesn't like the noise, and there's really not a good work shop for it--I'm using my home office's desk right now).

I may simply be using an aspect ratio that's too tight. I'm not entirely certain off hand what aspect ratios I've tried before (unfortunately, "mandral" translates into "round stuff lying around the house" just now, though I'm working on it). AR of 6.5 or so is what the Hilt Chain article recommends (6.4 to 7.0).....Gonna have to try that this weekend.

On a side note, I have a background in paleontology. The "maille taxonomy" concept is interesting...I'm not entirely certain how to pull it off yet--I don't know what characters to use, or how to codify them--but if I figure something out I'll post something. At the very least, it'll be an interesting way to play with cladistics.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:22 am || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Try it using the tuts linked below...

Start with this OR this.
Then work in a bit of this

And voila!
CIR can be tricky at first, but if I can convince my bear paws to make it in gauges so small I need magnifiers, don't worry, you'll get there eventually!!!
(See it Here)

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:54 am

The second link in DL's post above that's broken is here:
http://theringlord.org/derakoninstructions/iround.html

Sorry DL, I couldn't edit it. I don't have that kind of POWER. Bwahahaha.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 am

Try working it hanging from something. This allows the rings to lay perfectly in position and makes it easier to grasp. I struggled when I first tried it until I hung it from a hook. THen it just fell in place and I could easily work it.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 am

Along the same vein as what DL suggested, try making a length of Inverted Round first, and then start adding in the captive rings. It's much easier when you have a bit of chain to hold on to before worrying about getting the captives in.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Here is a really nice thread that has a good way to do CIR http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=12679&highlight=cir

I know that it really helped me when I was trying to accomplish things and the other tuts while good were causing me troubles.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:11 am

I like the hook idea. I'll have to give it a try. I'll also try working with a length of inverted round. I may have been starting with too little of a lead. I'll let you know how it works tomorrow--tonight I need sleep. Smile

Posted on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Working with a length of inverted round really helped--it gave me a place to hold on to while I worked. And hanging it helped for storage. I'm not sure how to end the thing, though--the rings fall out of my ends. Would that triple-loop hook thingy work (hook for round weaves with three links at the end)?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Dinwar wrote:
Working with a length of inverted round really helped--it gave me a place to hold on to while I worked. And hanging it helped for storage. I'm not sure how to end the thing, though--the rings fall out of my ends. Would that triple-loop hook thingy work (hook for round weaves with three links at the end)?

Yup Very Happy
That's exactly what it's designed for.

Also, lorraine, I fixed my original post, thanks for catching that!!!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1