A few Keychains i've made
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 3

A few Keychains i've made
Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:05 am || Last edited by Dravin on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

These were made to break up the monotony while working on a large scale Hauberk (that i am about 1/2 way finished with) i know on a few of the helm pendants there are scratches on the aa rings, and that was because of my impatience/laziness, i didnt want to go out to my shop to get my other set of pliers with smooth jaws, or a roll of tape to tape up my toothed jaws

the first one is a Black Red and Purple Byzantine key chain with a scale tail
stats are
3/8 14 ga AA
small AA Scales

Here we have a couple helm Pendant key chains one finished one allmost done
stats are
3/8 14 ga AA
1/4 17 ga Aluminum

Here we have a couple Ring and scale key chains i made one is a dragon tail weave with scales added to it the second is just a 1 on 1 chain with scales added on all 4 sides stats are
dragon tail
3/8 and 1/4 17 ga aluminum
small aa scales

1 on 1
1/4 17 ga aluminum
small aa scales

Next up we have a sample of What i thought was Dragon Scale, but pointed out i left out a row of rings, so its in reality wyvern Scale (Thanks Dinwar for pointing out my Error) i was playing around with
Stats are
Large rings 3/8 17 ga aluminum
Small rings 1/4 17 ga Aluminum

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:48 am

Is that like a half dragonscale? The small rings are forming rows because you used them in every other row. Very interesting! I've never seen that before, let alone thought of it myself. How is it for strength and the like?

I also really like the small scale keychain in the picture furthest right. Shaggy loops with scales instead of rings?

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:10 pm

wow i didnt even realize i messed up doing the dragon scale. but now that you mentioned it i went back and took a closer look at the tutorial and i see were i left some of the rings out. wow ... but yes as to strength it seams to hold up pretty well. it is less flexible though then a simuler section of E4in1 i made with the same 2 ring sizes. i used one 1/4 inch ring to connect 4 3/8s rings, and looks better. i was planning on continuing the dragon scale piece and making a braclet out of it.

as to the scale key chain, i was just sitting around messing with some spare rings and the scales and that was just something i came up with. i had tried several different variations. like one scale on every other ring, one scale on every ring, but to me it just didnt look right untill i put 2 scales on each ring.

i was originally going to make my scale Hauberk out of small scales so i ordred 6 thousand 4k black and 2k red, right off the bat. now keep in mind that i had never worked with scales before. so i tried weaving them, even got some pointers from a friend of mine who has experience with small scale work, but my hands just didnt have the dexterity to work with the small scales. so now the Hauberk i'm making is using large scales, much easier for me to work with, but this now leaves me with 6k small scales to burn up Razz

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:34 pm

I think you re-created wyvern scale. I only remember because I was poking around last night (yeah, I'm a nerd Smile ), plus I'm mildly obsessed with dragons. Anyway, here's the Library's link to wyvern scale.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/subcat.cgi?key=6930

I was wondering how the weave looked at a higher AR; it looks better than I had anticipated. I can't wait to see the full bracelet.

I really like your helm chain circle. That's impressive. And I love the colors!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 am

Dinwar wrote:
(yeah, I'm a nerd Smile )

Did you forget where you are? I think that classification could apply to most of us here. Laughing

Anyways, I like your scale keychains. I can't help but wonder, though, if they would be pocket friendly.
Also, I can't quite see the color from the picture. The first keychain with a scale on the bottom, is that a red scale?

Shaggy loops with scales. Hmm, I may have to try that.

Posted on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Vorondil wrote:
Anyways, I like your scale keychains. I can't help but wonder, though, if they would be pocket friendly.
Also, I can't quite see the color from the picture. The first keychain with a scale on the bottom, is that a red scale?

Shaggy loops with scales. Hmm, I may have to try that.

well i know the Helm pendant and the Byzantine one so far have been holding up very well for the last few days (my room mate has been using the helm and i've mainly been using the Byzantine) other then the occasional nick or scratch, or color wearing off from prolonged use. as to the 2 scale ones, i was worried about that my self so i did carry the shaggy loops one around with me for a few days and it seamed to hold up ok, never pulled apart or any thing like that. the only problem i did have was every once in a while one of the top scales would pass through the key ring and end up on the other side of the chain. i do have an idea though to prevent that from happening. using a 3/16th aluminum ring to attach it to the split ring.

And yes, the Scale on the bottom of the First pic is red. When i took the Pic's i should have set up some sort of light Source .... but i didnt want to wake up my room mate sleeping on the Sofa ... lol

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1