Weaves admin
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 337

Weaves admin
Posted on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Please find someone else to do this job. I don't want it anymore, I don't really have the time and saying it's thankless is an understatement.
I will continue until a replacement is found and I am happy to admin/mod other, lesser areas that won't take up so much time or result is so much hassle.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm

i hear you. admining is generally thankless.

so, thanks for doing this for so long!

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:52 pm

legba, is this still your intention?

keep in mind, it's perfectly acceptable to tell people that you need to back off for awhile... you'd like a couple of assistants to keep things moving. you still would like to be the primary weaves admin as long as you were interested in it. D did that when her personal life required it, and things were fine for her to come back to it (gallery adminning) as her schedule permitted.

kim

Posted on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm really not sure I'm wanted here after royally screwing up what I thought was the right thing to do.

I really don't want to be doing the job alone anymore but if I'm wanted and needed, I'm here.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 pm

eh, everyone does things they're not proud of.

part of me is really glad that the original creation threads of MAIL are lost. i was a lot younger back then... and i was ready to lock horns with just about anyone.

whether you stay or go is up to you. if you need help, it's probably pretty easy to put together. just make an asking, and we'll figure out if we can arrange a chat before too long, or we should just do it in a thread.

either way, let folks know what you want to do with this.

kim

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:39 am || Last edited by Corvus on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

One thing I'm certain of is I don't want to be doing the job alone. Many times I've asked for help and mostly the replies I've had are along the lines of 'it's up to you', which really isn't very helpful.

I think 2-3 people working on weaves would be a lot better all round. So yeah I would like to be able to take a step back every now then and let someone else take the flak Razz and not have to get worried about being the only one saying yea or nay.

I would like to still be involved but not the only weaves admin.

I have had two messages offering assistance from AdrianHills
and ManowarDave who is in the UK so we would at least be working in the same timezone.
ZiLi also has this advantage.

Is anyone else interested? I know Talia was a great help but she hasn't been around lately (I think due to personal reasons), so we should also bear her in mind when she's back.

Maille Code

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 am

Sara: You should KNOW for sure, that you are welcome here - not going well along with all people in all aspects is just normal. So if it becomes a TEAM affair, I may offer my help too. Maybe I am not yet very experienced in many fields (having barely 'scratched' Units and Japanese), but that will come with time, anyway...

(BTW: I have a time zone advantage as well)

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 am

Yes you do Smile

Maille Code

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:34 pm

i don't think that we have ever denied you helpers. in fact i seem to recall asking you several times this year if you needed helpers. you're welcome to as many helpers as get voted in. however, we did not step up and specifically make weaves admin decisions.

i see some of the simpler weaves represented in dave and adrians profiles. do they have a grasp of weave theory? are they good at making new weaves? these are the sorts of questions i would ask.. but if you're willing to lead them / teach them, it would probably be okay either way.

zili needs no vote to start helping you, as he's already an admin.
talia, also, is already an admin, and can come and go as she wishes.

any members reading this who wish to assist, speak up.

kim

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:11 pm

sakredchao wrote:
(...) zili needs no vote to start helping you, as he's already an admin. (...)

That may be true, seen from a purely "technical" standpoint (I know, as I once accidentally did some admin 'work' in an area I'm not assigned to). But as a relative newcomer I 'FEEL TO NEED' a consensus decision of Legba3 and other 'oldtimer' BODers to accept my offer to expand my area of duties.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Yes Kim but no one stepped up.

Anyway Narrina has also offered to help. I am happy to have ZiLi's help and Narrina is known for many weave inventions so I think she would be a good addition.

Do we need to vote on making a new admin?

Maille Code

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:40 pm

new admins do need a vote.

you never said, at least to me, "i'd like more helpers." it was usually that you wanted help on a specific thing, typically the submission guidelines. or this is what i am remembering.. i could be off-base. my memory is sometimes lacking. if you asked for more weaves admins and the BOD did nothing, then shame on us.

zili, yes, you should definitely talk with legba before you go around weave admining, but the BOD wouldn't need to vote on it.

kim

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 pm

I did ask for a 'permanent' helper and Talia was helping me but I did ask again when her time on here became limited, nothing came about.
Doesn't matter now.

OK Zili's in, I think Narrina would also be good. Shall we give it a few more days and see of anyone else steps up and then have a vote?

Maille Code

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:55 pm

if zili can help you pick up the slack on here for a couple weeks that would be great. waiting a week before putting any sort of vote up seems like a good idea to me.

kim

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Generally, I'm not in favor of ballooning the BOD unless it's needed. It's a one-way door, and the BOD is large enough. with few enough active. I'd somewhat like to discourage the trend of all the common posters ending up on the BOD, and recruiting multiple people at the same time for the same job.

For example, Talia got recruited because we "needed" more gallery helpers, but, I don't know that she's done much since being here, or that she was that heavily needed in the first place. No blame to her.

Since it's only a helper job, recruit from within first? ZiLi is a good choice. If with one helper the job is still too difficult, maybe then look at adding more.

I think in 3.0, the submission process can be more open. I don't really see why the public can't see new weave submissions. Or, even to leave comments on them. So, unofficial help may be more prominent.

The trouble with weave helpers is that now, even more than before, you need to be able to describe the criteria for accepting weaves. Because two of you will have to be on the same page.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next