Amendments to Theme Contest Rules (Discussion)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 582

Posted on Mon May 11, 2009 3:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Do we have enough to go on? I'm itching to get another contest underway.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon May 11, 2009 8:10 pm

No pressure, but uh-huh, yup, me too, you betcha!

Submissions: 57

Posted on Mon May 11, 2009 8:31 pm

*scratch, scratch* Ditto
Less talk, more rock! Laughing

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon May 11, 2009 8:45 pm

yep. let's give it a shot - and let's look how it works out.

-ZiLi-

(Maybe I will be a contestant this time, after the rules seem to be much more compliant with my personal preferences. But that depends on the topic chosen)

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 12

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 12:37 am

I'm with everyone else on wanting a new contest to start (I even have suggested themes) hehehe but I'll be busy until the 3rd of June (thanks DQ) - so I'd have to keep an eye on the board as to when its open for topic choosing; and what not.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Allright, is everybody good with this? Get me a few Yays and I'll go put up the brainstorming thread.

1. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry should be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite.

4. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm

yay, works for me.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Yes, sounds right.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Yay, absolutely! Very Happy

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Yay!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 10:52 pm

I give it an yay.

"What's the point of livin' if you don't try?"
"Life goes exactly as you hadn't planned it."
"Don't look back at what might have been, and what you coulda done."

Submissions: 14

Posted on Tue May 12, 2009 11:44 pm

All right, these rules are the official new rules. The brainstorming thread is up. If you have a problem with something, post here or message me.

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am

We COULD take the contest rules apart, but maybe it's simply a matter of 'code of conduct'.

About rule #1: This one should be only a guideline, to reach the contest's goal to see new pieces that fit to the contest's topic. The timeline rule has imho to stay as-is, but interpretation of valid content can always be discussed, during submission phase, to have the chance to see even unusual pieces. In fact this discussion took place during the first couple dozen posts, and it was concluded, that even unusual pieces that use springiness (a good example is the memory wire snake), or other non-strict chainmaille that profits from elasticity effects (e.g. the wrapped cubes, or the headband) were valid entries - and be subject to voters' judgement. So I have no objections about them - but other pieces could be seen as questionable, that use rubber simply as preclosed-ring replacement, without using elasticity in any way (I won't blackmail these; voters may decide, which ones fit here).

About rule#3: In my opinion the rule should be: Images of submitted pieces have to be conform to the valid Gallery submission guidelines - either already submitted to the Gallery during the contest, or submittable in an unaltered form. Note: If images simply exceed dimension/filesize limits, a rescale/resample to become conform is imho no alteration - that would be a re-crop or exchange or other edit of image (parts). If a submitter is unable to do such image manipulations, (s)he shall speak up, so someone can provide a gallery rule conform manipulation as service, to have the image being replaced before deadline, so the voting thread can be built from conform images.

Last but not least back to 'code of conduct' - let me say only that I'm very disappointed, that a mature person can behave in such a way. Errors or misjudgements happen where people work; if one happens, usually a simple 'sorry' suffices to prevent further, possibly major damage. I continue to wait, and hope to avoid the 'dren-hit-fan' effect that could emerge...

Edit: After having read again through the voting thread, allow me some further remarks, that even slightly adjust my opinion uttered above. Our contests are MAILLE contests, and NOT photo contests - some people seem to forget about. Photos are just a medium, a vehicle to transport 'virtual pieces' world-wide, as we are a world-wide community, and it's simply impossible to collect all pieces physically in one place, to be touched and compared by all members in person. The pieces are the primary aspect; their representation is a secondary one, that has to fulfill only a technical role. Rules about size/dimension limits shall serve mainly the purpose to present all pieces in a comparable, easily accessible manner, to allow a fair comparison - as fair as possible with a photo alone. So discussions about invalidating contest entries due to lack of a photo fulfilling all rules (one that can be brought by another person as the submitter easily into rule conform shape - note that not every talented mailler is also a photographer and/or photoshopper), is simply ridiculous, if we speak about a maille contest.

Furtherly I may add, that there should be no problem, to have somewhen a maille PHOTO contest, maybe with some case-specific contest rule adjustments, but running mostly along the lines of former ones. Why not?

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

It would appear that the same concerns are being raised again and again, with the same reply, "let the voters decide."

This hardly seems fair to contestants who design and make a piece with the theme of the contest firmly in mind, only to lose to someone whose work does not fit the theme (regardless of the skill demonstrated.)

With regard to the photo portion of the program, I had assumed, incorrectly, that the site itself would automatically reject any photo-entry over the 100 kb size. So, I was surprised at how crisp and clear some of the entries appeared to be, then realized at least one was nearly 1 MG in size.

While that lovely piece is not in the lead, it could have had unfair advantage, as it looks incredible, while other pieces do not show to best advantage.

I have found here at M.A.I.L. that when questions are raised, or suggestions for improvement are made, they are too often shrugged off with the attitude of 'it's always worked before.'

But clearly there are issues and concerns that need addressing, and it is time to do so.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Rules about size/dimension limits shall serve mainly the purpose to present all pieces in a comparable, easily accessible manner, to allow a fair comparison - as fair as possible with a photo alone. So discussions about invalidating contest entries due to lack of a photo fulfilling all rules (one that can be brought by another person as the submitter easily into rule conform shape - note that not every talented mailler is also a photographer and/or photoshopper), is simply ridiculous, if we speak about a maille contest.

I -would- agree with this except, it takes almost no skill at all to resize an image. It might take a bit of skill to make it fit within the kb requirement if your program doesn't have an obvious interface to change the resolution of the image...a lot of them do, but I've found a few that don't (mostly of the free-to-use, edit on the web variety). Nowhere in the rules does it say that the photo must be perfect, nor even excellent, it just says that they have to be X size and take up X storage space.

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 11. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next