Had my first show today!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 6

Had my first show today!
Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm exhausted...lots of tire-kickers but not too many buyers.

I did sell an Argentium and copper dragon tail bracelet and a Argentium helm bracelet and a pair of BA bubbles earrings to one guy for his wife, and the two ladies in the jewelery booth right next to me bought a few of my earrings also, one was sterling Tas' chain with a 6mm Swarovski bicone and the other was Pheasible with a 6mm bicone as well. Then another pair of Pheasible earrings, copper and brass with 5mm bicone. So all in all I was pleased.

There were lots of jewelery booths, but no other maille. Lots of compliments - especially from other jewelery people - were nice to hear!

Thanks to those whose designs inspired me. Thanks to Kod for all that fantastic Argentium!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:14 am

Congrats! Even if you consider it a slow start, it was a start nonetheless!

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Submissions: 12

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:56 am

That's excellant, Carys!

Even doing your first show is a big accomplishment in itself and not to be sneezed at!

Before you forget- write down what things were working, what materials people were drawn to, which displays and what people liked about the things they bought (ie., movement, length, neutral colors, sparkly beads) and anything else you can think of, as all of these details will help you plan what to make, what to offer, how to offer, how to display next time. Tire kickers may not hand over the cash, but you can learn a lot from them, which is cash in the box next time out.

And about tire kickers- most people go to shows with $$ in their pockets that they want to spend on SOMETHING. Your job is to make them feel comfortable enough that they want to hand that cash over to you. Every time anyone pauses for even a moment, or even looks your way, GREET THEM. Big, genuine smile (puts them instantly at ease) and ,"Hi, how are you," have made me more sales than anything else, then follow up with a genuine compliment like "I like that pendant you have on. Did you get it here?" Or something -anything- about them, "Are you from this area?"

The thing is that a lot of vendors at shows expect tire kickers to just be tire kickers and don't bother engaging them unless they ask a question or show interest somehow. When you talk to them, you set yourself apart, and they will feel good about you because they know you are friendly and they won't feel like they are bothering you. And be prepared- a lot of people want to see everything first. Many will come back. So before they leave your table, thank them for stopping by (just as if they were a friend dropping by for coffee) and say, "See you later."

Whenever I do a show, the vendors around me always comment on how many people I've had at my table.

But make sure and have bottled water handy, because this much talking can make your mouth really dry.

Also, with holidays coming up, spend a few dollars on gift boxes and offer gift wrapping with those cute little stick-on bows. Have your wrapping paper pre-cut and keep it in a folder- you know what sizes your boxes are. This makes your product a hassel-free gift. If you're worried about the cost eating into your profits, it's totally fair to build the price of any packaging (holiday wrapping or a paper bag, whatever) into the final cost of your pieces. Set a couple empty but decoratively wrapped boxes around your table with tags that say something like, "Gift wrapping with every purchase," or, "Gifts wrapped upon request."

Now pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:45 am

Great tips! I'm going to keep this one tagged for future reference.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:10 am

@ Carys: I hope for you that this will be the first one of many.

@ Talia: That's some excellent advise!

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

No, this is just one of a few more I am thinking about doing for the next few weeks.

Talia, I did a lot of what you said. I do trade shows with my husband for what he does so the show scene isn't entirely new to me. You are so right about the greetings though. I spoke to a lot of people. I had water and breath mints at the ready!

It was an interesting day, that's for sure. I'm stoked!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1