Anodizing Process
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Anodizing Process
Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey all, a long time ago (no really, a VERY long time ago) I saw a thread on this forum about the process of getting different colors out of rings. I gave it a quick shot (it involved cooking the rings in an oven) and didn't get very good results.

So now that I've got a little more time and drive, I'm curious what the actual process of anodizing steel/aluminum is. I know it involves some complicated bits of chemistry (electro-plating? Is that right? Sorry, I'm going off of memory here)

Anyway, anybody got a step by step process?

Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:04 pm

I did a little digging of my own, and I found this site, for anyone who is interested:

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

looks they sell special dyes and etching materials for anodizing. Kind of a complicated process.

I was still thinking that there was something you could do with stainless that involved baking it in an oven though... any clue?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Articles are there to use, read, please, thanks...
Coloring Wire

Folks are more than happy to help, but do a bit of the footwork first, also use the search app, then you can bring the old thread up if you've got more questions.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47 pm

I regularly heat treat stainless to get different colors, mainly the darker blue/purple for inlays, just looks so cool (yeah ima dork) but I use a propane torch, I got the ones that have the extension hose so I have more control over the flame, just lay out some rings on a fire brick (dont do this on cement or rocks, ive had it explode on me before dang granite) or a steel plate, hold the flame away from it and slowly move it in while going back and forth you will see it slowly change colors and you can stop when you get to the shade you like, play around with it and you will get the hand.

I also anodize my aluminum rings, the most expensive part of the set up was the battery charger but I had one of those already. I got a great tutorial off War Pig (paintball website) it does coils quite well, but individual rings dont turn out well, im trying to find a way to change that though. But heres the link, check it out.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 pm

the colors that form on steel (don't do it on galvanized steel!!!) are a result a firescale, a coat that forms on the metal and reflects light differently than the plain metal, hence colors. i've had great success firescaling stainless steel with an alcohol stove (flame is hot, but not as hot and powerful as a propane torch, hence more control), but i don't recommend alcohol stoves as if they're not sealed properly, you could get some very serious burns. best bet is to just get a steady hand with a propane torch, my little hint of info here is that when the color is about to change/is starting to change on the metal, the flame that is hitting the metal will start to glow reddish instead of the blue around it

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 57

Posted on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 am

BlessedSilence wrote:
just lay out some rings on a fire brick (dont do this on cement or rocks, ive had it explode on me before dang granite) or a steel plate

yeah cobblestone will scare the crap out of you when it does explode, I must admit, that rock saw alot of fire that day, I now use a steal plate, people want an arm and a leg for firebrick in this city for some reason.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1