Needing help with Christmas Gift Idea
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 12

Needing help with Christmas Gift Idea
Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok so I've come to the wise gurus of the Maille boards for help. Its getting dangerously close to the holiday season for me. While yes I do work better under pressure I need help. I need to come up with a very unique very do-able idea for a very good friend for Christmas.

Said friend has been the majority of my incoming orders of maille related items, practically the only one of family/friends still encouraging me to make this into a full time business, has given me a place to crash land when things at home get to be too much, and a lot more. He doesn't wear much in the way of jewelry at least not on a daily basis. He has 2 daughters (age 9 & 21 months), and I'm making charm bracelets for both girls. But I really really want to make something unique for him in addition to some of the other gifts I'm going to be making for him. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I have a ton of 18 & 20ga copper wire that I recently got out of a salvage effort, i also have some 16 & 14ga aluminum coming from same salvage effort that I'd love to incorporate if at all possible. As for colors he's really into the black, red, silver look...I really want to make this happen I just don't know what to make...

Posted on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Mmm,
How about a nice belt- for all the times he's helped you 'stay up'.

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Ha ha... good one Tal. lol.

not knowing much else about your friend, it's tough to advise. However I can tell you a few things Ive done for friends that keyed on their interests and it may start you down a path of discovery for the untimate gift.

I have a friend who lives the straight-edge lifestyle. He moved into a new apartment with big windows. I made him maille curtain tie-backs and incorporated large brass "X"s that dangled down.

I have a friend that recently bought a house. I made him e4-1 brass numbers for his address.

One of my older neighbors when I lived in boston was italian and stereotypically made huge dinners and invited people over all the time. She baked lots of breads. I made her a maille trivet to cool her bread on. Later I made her a set of napkin rings.

I also have a friend that runs a dojo and relishes torturing his most dedicated followers. I made him an E4-1 shirt from vinyl coated steel. He makes his diciples wear it and run stairs when they need... 'correction.'

bro-in-law wears a wallet chain, I'm in the middle of making him one for christmas.

Friend got married, likes the mead I make. Gave him a bottle and adorned it with maille.

Friend who is also ito brewing. Made him a little 'luck charm' for the top of the carboy.

there are a few examples. hopefully it sparks something for you. and don't forget a banner inlay type thing like 1sky is doing. That is just an awesome way to appreciate someone!

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 pm

These are some wonderful ideas, Dreemr.

Maybe he needs new watch bands?

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Ok lets see what else I can give for 'info' on said friend. He doesn't wear watches and the only time he wears a belt is for work and that has to be WORK issued...He works 3 jobs: all part time: Pizza Hut (cook); Teletech (home based phone/customer service); Computer sales/service out of his home.

He has 2 daughters (9yrs who he's never met in person; and 19 months who he sees once a week-ish; yes that's 2 different mothers).

He's a huge horror movie/industrial music fan, he collects dark art...clive barker, etc. He has an affinity for collecting skull figurines and other 'dark' decor. He's the one i've made the raven's handflower, the maille & pewter clawed slave bracelet; and the altered flogger for. He's the friend who I'm giving half my salvaged copper/aluminum to so he can get some extra $ for his business. He's a year & 3 months younger than me by the #s but is far beyond me in wisdom. He encourages me to read and find out more about anything I can. He likes to go to Industrial/electronic concerts with friends, he has 6 piercings, 2 tattoos, he has a brother who lives upstairs from him and the two are similar on a lot of things; different on many others...

Said friend has 2 very extremely tweaked out computers...both rebuilt recently from scrapped parts himself...One is done in blue lighting the other done in red lighting. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do maille wise that could be incorporated into a computer...I'll have to get photos of the heat-sink that he bought for his brother's computer that's HUGE...but has a ton of copper in it as I was thinking of trying to do something for his brother involving the salvaged copper we got the other day...

Do any of these help?? I'm going to contemplate doing either galvy steel bastardized byzantine curtains for his home office/computer work room for his business. It only has 2 windows and doesn't need a lot of work but would still be cool looking just the same...

HMM OK i'm off to go design...those...other ideas welcome!!

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Dreemr wrote:
Ha ha... good one Tal. lol.!

>sniff<
I wasn't joking.

Definately like the idea of curtains! Or maybe a tablecloth or doily tybe thing to display his skull collection. Or a set of edge trimmings to hang off the edge of bookshelves. Or an auminum shower curtain!

Maille Code V1.0 T5.1 R3.6 Feur MAg.t Wcmi Cjwc G2.0/0.6 I38.1/2.5 Pj Dj S99 CCips

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:18 pm

LOL the aluminum shower curtain...the ex who regularly visits with the 19 mo old would KILL him first then me...I'm thinking curtains:D

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm

@gawthfrawg: What about maille cover grids for his computer's case fans? E4-1, fully-stretched, should work well, but other weaves may be also appropriate. And there are only a couple of standard fan sizes - e.g. 80mm fans have their mounting holes in a 72*72mm square, or the larger 120mm ones have them in a 105*105mm square... And the corner rings must have a size (with the other rings hanged in), that you can shove a 4 to 5mm mounting screw through the hole - so a 6mm mandrel for making the corner rings should fit well

maybe you could lead him even to a "gothic" computer case design - just "sow" that idea in his brain by such a gift. Cool

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39 am

Talia wrote:

stay-up... like a belts helps your pants stay-up...
if that was unintentional then you really are talented! Razz

if he's into dark art, maybe get him a skull and decorate it.

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:10 am

Id say make him a wallet chain with black rubber rings!!!

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:05 am

Dreemr wrote:
Talia wrote:

stay-up... like a belts helps your pants stay-up...
if that was unintentional then you really are talented! Razz

if he's into dark art, maybe get him a skull and decorate it.

Razz yeah, that was intentional.....
But I meant it seriously, as in a gift with deeper symbolic meaning, goofball!
But if it got you to laugh, you can think it's funny. Smile

Still don't understand the prob with the 19 month old and a shower curtain. My son used to be 19 months and I would have loved a chainmaille shower curtain. But oh well. Still would love one, as a matter of fact! Hmmm....

Posted on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:37 pm

the ex doesn't like ANYONE being friends with him and she causes him enough BS & drama as it is I won't add to it in any way if I can avoid it.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:24 pm

You said he likes dark age art, if you go insano mailler you could possibly recreate a simple dark age painting in maille inlay by christmas. Very Happy Just remember to take pictures if you do.

"Who is to say that I am who I say I am if no one knows who I am not to become but me."
-Azrenn the Draconian

Maille Code V1.0 T5.2 R5.1 Fbyz Mfe.s Wcs Cjaw G1.6/0.3 |25/1 Pa Dacdj S06

Posted on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:52 am

I've concluded I'm going to make curtains for his office window(s) depending on how much time I'd need.

I have a pile of 16ga 7/32" ID BA rings from TRL that I was thinking of using for the curtain...or at least the first one....unless someone has a better idea...weight/size wise

I'd like to make them rather 'see through' and i don't think this size is going to work for that and it'll be quite heavy...

I wove up a patch 5.5" x 2.5" and its at 253 rings...at this size and is quite dense and rather heavy in my opinion for a curtain...I'm thinking 18ga 1/4"ID rings would be much better...and then I could in theory mix black AA & BA in a biased pattern.

OR I could do the 'main part of the curtain in BA (looser woven e 4in1)
with an AA "Topper" or valance in a more dense e 4in1 to hang over the top of the main curtain.

Anyone have any suggestions for me on this?? I'll get window measurements sometime this week...maybe even late tonight if he has them (i'll just tell him I'm buying him curtains to go with his office decor...) He'll never guess i'm making them out of maille...

I'd like help figuring out how many rings I'd need so I can buy accordingly.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:29 am

For a curtain that is supposed to let through light, I propose to weave with large, high AR rings - as a side effect weaving will go faster (curtains are HUGE and need MUCH weaving time). An alternative is making a web of chain weaves instead of a uniform area weave, if you have only a limited choice of available ring sizes. Examples for this are around here on MAIL, but I may propose "Harvest Moon" as quick weavable and well looking baseline chains, that are webbed together in a honeycomb pattern.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next