Beads
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Beads
Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 6:04 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was just wondering what type of beads people like to use for their jewelly? eg. plastic, glass, crystal. and what are there pros and cons???

Submissions: 17

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 6:19 am

I've not used a lot of beads in my work at this point, but am looking into using more as they seem to get good reactions, especially from female customers. The "caterpillar" necklace I posted in the Gallery used glass cane tubes and some beads recycled from a broken rosary. I've also done some earrings hung with various beads, from hematite cubes to Swarovski crystals. I'm about to order some fringe beads from Fire Mountain to see how they'll do.

Maille code: V1.0 T7.2 R5.1 Fe4.1 MAl.a Wc$ Cabe$ G1.5/0.6 I9.5/1.4 Pj Dacdjs S84
andrew.ragland@gmail.com

Submissions: 7

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 10:04 am

About half of what I produce is beaded, and I'd say by far, my favorite as a balance between cost, durability and appearance, would be simple glass. Most of what I use is 6-8mm glass beads hung on beaded link style joiners made from snips of wire (There is an easier way to do them than the article present on beading; I'll post an article on an alternate method of manufacturing bead-links), and used as vertical link replacements in J 6-1. Other uses I've been known, have been to weave a wooden bead actually inside 4-1, or to run a string of tubular beads through large links in European patterns.

Submissions: 99

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 8:01 pm

i use semi precious gem stone beads

when buying look at there holes often they are to small for durrable wire

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:23 am

Namshaske

that would be great if you could post an article on beading as im trying to get more into the jewellry side of maille at the moment. i have made a bird cage bracelet with plastic beads that my wife had lying around it looks pretty cool but you can tell its only plastic. im going to Sydney in one week for a weeks holiday and my wife is taking me to this huge bead shop. Very Happy im so lookig forward to that.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:37 am

i like my maille without Bead - beads..well i make maille beads and use them there garented to go with what ever you doing just make them out of the same materal..

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1