M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Worst Mail-Crafting Injury
No Wounds - I Feel Happy! I Feel... *thud*
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
It's Just A Flesh Wound
46%
 46%  [ 15 ]
How Many Wounds Have I Had? 1, 2....5!!!
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
It Felt Like I Cut Down A Tree With A Herring
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
The Bunny Attacked Me....with pliers!
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 32

Submissions: 59

Worst Maille-ing Wound
Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 7:30 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Feel free to add comments on severity, location, and various levels of stupidity that led to the injury. Smile

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 7:53 pm

The worst was when i had a 1/2 in mandrel mangle

I was power winding some 11g on my "lathe" going about 2000rpm the mandrel cracked at the hole i drilled to holed the wore bent to a 90dig angle about 4 inches frome the end of the mandrel (note my mandrels are 3 feet long) wipped at full speed hit me four time befor i knew it put a gash in my shoulder about an inch and a have deep took 15-20 stiches to close up the second hit broke two of the bone in my hand the other hits just left realy nice bruses

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 8:07 pm

S**t! You win!

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 8:19 pm

Lol

May not have cut down a tree with a herring, but you almost cut off your head with a mandrel Very Happy I agree with Owen, you win, Xander!
Ouch Laughing

My worst was when I was stripping 14 ga copper wire with an xacto knife, (of course) pulling it towards the hand I was holding it with, and it slipped... it was kind of fun. If I was with any friends I would have thrown the blood that gathered in my cupped hand at them, but as it was, I just licked it and put a bandaid on it and washed most of the blood down the drain.
It was fun playing with the little pieces of fat that were hanging out Very Happy
I can still feel it, when I pull my index finger back, and I have a scar from it.

(Xander may have had it worse, but I won't let him take the title of most graphic Razz unless he feels like describing his a bit more, in which case I'm spooned)

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 82

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 8:31 pm

hmmm... my worst would be my poisonings...but they're not really injury. My worst injury would be 6 guage wire whip, but I was hand coiling, so it wasnt too bad with welders' gloves on. Other than that, it woulda been the other night, I was working on a particularily tight half persian 4-1, and my flat nose 'slipped and jabed' cutting across 3 fingers, bled quite a bit too Very Happy

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Posted on Thu May 22, 2003 11:44 pm

Attually (sp?) it wasn't a bunny with pliers, it was a baby with pliers

My niece was sitting on my lap while i was closing some rings... she helps me, when i close them she picks them up and puts the in the jar... anywhy she was getting a little bored, so she I let her play with a pair of pliers....

well he was so happy she through her arms up in joy... still holding the pliers... and nailed me right in the eye (well not in the eye but only missed by a few mm)

Never let kids play with pliers when there that young.
BTW: she was only 18 month at the time.

Shidoshi

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:13 am

my worst is just stabing myself with my pliers. but i have to be careful not to do mailling for long as i have RSI in my left wrist so it starts to ache after about an hour.

Childofdune.
I hope you cut away from yourself now. i learn't the hard way too. It was before i started mailling and before i was a chef. i cut through to the first bone joint and through the ligament in my index finger with a butter knife. i spent 2 nights in hospital a had micro maille wops! surgery on my finger. I then spent the next 12 weeks in a cast and had pyhisio on my finger as well. my finger still doesn't work very well anymore so please everyone always cut away from yourself.

Quote:
"such is life" Ned Kelly

Submissions: 24

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 12:29 am

ouch...
Actually, when I'm using those things, I'm usually cutting myself on purpose (look, the kanji for death on my left arm! Cool, huh?) but not enough that it really bleeds (at least not much, but it does get a small scab)

Then there's the time I was cutting wax towards me with the same thing but got my thumb, and licked it dry, so I spun my arm around to make more blood flow to it. Well, it did, and it flowed clear past my thumb, through the air, and onto the floor, wall, and celing...... Not a whole lot, but enough to make some pretty little spots I didn't notice for a week Very Happy

But I'm not going to strip wire with those things anymore at all... any good ideas on what to use that won't kill me and isn't too difficult?

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 3:23 am

I would say my worst injury would defently be my tendintus. Man did that hurt for about a solid month. Its good now tho Smile. That really dosnt matter now... I am on the eadge of burn out.. Crying (very sad) So I dont think over mailleing would be a problem.

I am a chef too.. well not really. But I work in a kitchen. I make salads and desserts. Smile its fun and really good money for some one my age.

COD- I think there are special tools made for stripping wire.

Lee

SPQR!

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 11:11 am

hals7x

i know what you mean about burn out. i was head chef of an italian restaurant and i came very close to burning out. as an effect of that i had sleeping problems so all i can say is take it easy man. the only important thing in life is your health and family.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri May 23, 2003 1:23 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
don't have any monstrous injuries to boast of...
my worst one is just a slipandjab(or wirewhip?? my memory's getting worse...) across four(or five??) fingers. no scar though...

It is well-known that the body is made up of various elements, among these being iron. The reason we know the body has iron in it is because we can taste the iron in our blood. Therefore, it stands to reason that the iron in our blood will be drawn to the north, just as the iron needle on the compass is drawn to the north.

In order to make the body compass work, you must shut your eyes, so as not to confuse things, extend the right arm with the index finger pointing, then spin around three times to the left. When you stop, open your eyes, and you will discover that you are facing north.

Dragons of a Lost Star
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 8:02 am

Hey all,

I seem to have had it easy so far. I have a matched set of slipandjab scars, one near the first knuckle joint of each index finger. I also had my left little finger go numb from compressing the ulnar nerve. It was numb for a few months. I finally got feeling back it. I have to alter the way I grip my pliers with my left hand.

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 8:31 am

My worst? Impaling a hand straight through on a section of 12g wire. How? Was winding it, had about four inches protruding off the mandrel, and one mandrel lying on the floor. Disaster was waiting to happen the moment I stepped off to the workbench, and onto the mandrel on the floor, which cheerfully rolled out from under my booted foot. Slipped forwards, tried to steady myself on the workbench, and put my full weight on the sharp wire end.

Submissions: 82

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 12:56 pm

CoD, if you want a quick way to strip coating off copper wire, use a freaking carrot pealer.
It works wonders, my mom was an electrcian for a few years and she gave me this tip.
It works damn well good, and your not cutting yourself every 5 mins.
Very Happy

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat May 24, 2003 3:18 pm

I chopped a nice little "V" into the soft inside part of my index finger with some Aviation snips as I was cutting the last few rings from a 14 GA Galvy spring. The cut was about 1/2 inch wide and long, but shallow enough not to cause permanent damage. I could see my pulse in blood as I rinsed the wound under some water. Sad

Not too bad, relatively speaking.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next