Missing information from an old article, mods check this out
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 15

Missing information from an old article, mods check this out
Posted on Tue May 20, 2008 9:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Today I anodized some aluminum coils with the method described in the article on that topic on MAIL. the results came out better on one coil than another, and i found out from a different source that this is because you are supposed to etch the coil before you anodize it (etching the coils is not mentioned in the article) etching the coils makes the anodization process faster and more thorough, and can be done any number of ways as listed in a difference article on MAIL. i would just like if an editor added in this small, but very important step for other users of the site (i've already learned my lesson!)

let 2 things be noted: one, the change is relatively small in overall appearance, but the etched aluminum does look a little more thoroughly anodized, and the reaction is faster; two, i do not mean or intend to demean the author of this article at all, they said themselves this was a very brief overview.

thanks!

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 6

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 2:42 am

Hey could you post pictures of the coils/rings you did?
Would like to see how they turned out - not an admin-

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 am

i'll try to get some pics up soon, i turned both the coils into rings, and you can't tell a big difference between the two types, but the reaction is definitely faster after the aluminum has been etched. the anodized aluminum is very silverish in color, you'd almost swear it was tarnished silver, only problem is this is an anodization coat we're talking about here, and its very easy to rub off with pliers if you're not careful.

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 am

Jazzer might be a good idea to PM Blaise or David Austin about this. I'm not sure if an article can be changed without the permission of the author. However why don't you write a new one and submit it???

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 am

Jazzer - We can't. We're not an open format. Each article is standalone and copyright to its submitter. Even the author can't update his article. He has to kind of resubmit it, or ask an admin to do it manually. Sucks but that's how it is.

You can try contacting the writer yourself though, and see if they want to make the change.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 am

Cynake wrote:
Jazzer - We can't. We're not an open format. Each article is standalone and copyright to its submitter. Even the author can't update his article. He has to kind of resubmit it, or ask an admin to do it manually. Sucks but that's how it is.

You can try contacting the writer yourself though, and see if they want to make the change.

That's what I thought and personally I think it's good way for it to be but I think Jazzer should just write another one!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 582

Posted on Wed May 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Articles are allowed to have editor comments, no? Some of them do.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 am

It's fine if the author wants to change the article, but in the past, we've had multiple articles on the same topics, not all of which agree with each other....

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 pm

i could write another one certainly, and i could include some pictures as well. i'll make sure to give credit to the original author, since that's where i'll get most of the information from. thanks for the help everyone!

-'Tis but a scratch!
-What? Your arm's off!
-No it isn't!
-What's that then?
-I've had worse!
-You lie!

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat May 31, 2008 10:34 pm

Are you talking about the article by MeTri? If so, it's definitely pretty sparse, and a new, more detailed article would be extremely cool.

But nonetheless, it would be no big deal, as already mentioned, to add an editorial comments to existing articles to add that information.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1