sensitive ears
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 3

sensitive ears
Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

My metal of choice is copper, I love every aspect of it. I mainly use enameled kind, but finding earwires to match the colour is proving difficult.

Since I'm not allergic to anything, nor is my skin sensitive, testing copper for wearability is not really an option. So I was wondering if anyone here has opinions on this.

And yes, I know copper leaves residue on skin, hence the coated type used.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:04 pm

you could make your own earwires.. there are simple ways to do it with round-nose pliers, or with various jigs.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:07 pm

have you tried making your own? there is a jig specially set up for creating ear wires heres a link to how it works:

http://www.gossamerwingsdesigns.com/ear-wire-maker.htm

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I made this today and put it in the Articles library. Maybe it will help.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=113909

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:23 am

Hmm, thank you on the tut, well made.

I was thinking of making my own findings, but the thought of an allergic reaction is obhorring.

I used to work in a jewellery store, where a young boy bought a pair of earrings for his girlfriend, and a few hours later they came back with her sreaming her lungs of. The ear wires were supposed to be sterling, inert and wearable, but we later found out they were coated lightly (with something) so they wouldn't change colour. And the image of the young girl and her bleeding, swollen earlobes was so haunting, it has made me swear I wouldn't experiment on customers.

I'm going to take the kids to the library now, and perhaps practice my english Smile

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:40 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Get Niobium or Titanium wire; both may be anodized to a color relatively near Copper (and many others as well), and due to their hypoallergic property (that both materials have in common) you will never more have to worry about possible allergic reactions due to the ear wires.

And if you don't have an anodizing equipment (I suppose that) - there are maillers around here, that surely would be prepared (and happy) to sell you an assortment of ready to be used anodized ear wires.

Edit due to DL's article: To be safe, with Titanium one should use Grade 1-4 to get the unalloyed type - it will be strong enough for ear wires anyway - and yes, I forgot about FINE silver and other pure variants of precious metals that are mostly not prone to cause allergic reactions - but there's no color selection available, and they are most time a LITTLE bit too soft, imho...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:42 am

kaeru wrote:
I used to work in a jewellery store, where a young boy bought a pair of earrings for his girlfriend, and a few hours later they came back with her sreaming her lungs of. The ear wires were supposed to be sterling, inert and wearable, but we later found out they were coated lightly (with something) so they wouldn't change colour. And the image of the young girl and her bleeding, swollen earlobes was so haunting, it has made me swear I wouldn't experiment on customers.

Even Sterling isn't "Pure"...

I wrote an article on metal allergies awhile back: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=27388

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 am

Why of course there was an article on metals + allergies...
I'm such a noob at this.

Titanium would be absolutely brilliant, been thinking of getting some pre-made rings. The only suppliers in my country sell to contractors, the beading store "price for 1 meter 4,20" isn't really my kind of business. I like to buy bulk. And the anodizing would be fairly easy: I'm a lab technician by day (metal dust/rust covered basket case by night).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1