Pepe jumpring cutting disaster - Help!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've only skimmed through most of the posts. Though from the sounds of it you may of put the blade on backwards or tried cutting the wrong direction. I did this the first time I got my Koil Kutter in and it did the exact same results

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I haven't changed the blade at all. I have been cutting rings for about 2 weeks now and all of a sudden the blade cuts into the top plate. I think the drill must have moved or something. How do you like the Koil Kutter? I did look at that but decided to go with Ray's that has the drill mounted on the board and you just have to put the coil holder in the channel that is over the drill and push it through. Worked great until this mishap.

Thanks for the reply

Carolyn

tkubic wrote:
I've only skimmed through most of the posts. Though from the sounds of it you may of put the blade on backwards or tried cutting the wrong direction. I did this the first time I got my Koil Kutter in and it did the exact same results

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Koil Kutter works perfectly for like half the price. Though I also now have a ringinator. I use the ringinator for cheap metals and the koil kutter for smaller and more costly materials.

cver, i was refering to oceans original post, lol didn't see yours. I think your issue could be a range of things, (assuming it's like the koil kutter) you may not of aligned the blade in its guide properly, or possibly of gotten the arbor misaligned in the chuck. It's really hard to tell what's happening without being there.

If any of you have pictures you can post of your issues it would be much easier for us to spot the problem Smile. I suggest photos of the damage, the tools used and how everything is mounted.

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 pm

The more I read I think maybe I should have gone with the Koil Kutter. Will see what Ray has to say when he returns my call. Will try to post picture tomorrow. Running to Super Bowl party now. Go Saints!!

Thanks
Carolyn

tkubic wrote:
Koil Kutter works perfectly for like half the price. Though I also now have a ringinator. I use the ringinator for cheap metals and the koil kutter for smaller and more costly materials.

cver, i was refering to oceans original post, lol didn't see yours. I think your issue could be a range of things, (assuming it's like the koil kutter) you may not of aligned the blade in its guide properly, or possibly of gotten the arbor misaligned in the chuck. It's really hard to tell what's happening without being there.

If any of you have pictures you can post of your issues it would be much easier for us to spot the problem Smile. I suggest photos of the damage, the tools used and how everything is mounted.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm || Last edited by kodiak on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

No, you did OK....Dave's Koil Kutter is a decent tool, but you'd probably get a consensus from folks that have experience with both, that Grossman's is just a bit better. It's Machined to closer tolerances than the Pepe also.

*DON'T* pay those ridiculous prices for blades, like $19 something from Rio, or anyplace else....check Thurston's website, the #323 blades are less than $6 bucks, high quality blades. You will need to grind in a key-way if you've chosen to keep the key-way on the arbor. Not a big deal, worth the $14 savings.

I'm sure Ray will get back to you. He's good about that....I talk to him still, occasionally, mainly to get updates on when the stock of "improved"(not), units has finally been exhausted, and he gets back to producing the original design.

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:16 pm

^ ^ what he said
Most likely your doing something just silly that needs a tweak or two. All the systems are pretty much identical, very often it seems people come on and have issues very similar.

Posted on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

I don't like the Koil Kutter, I'm a Jump Ringer fan.

Couple of things come to mind though with the issues you're having that I didn't see suggested when I skimmed the last two pages. Hopefully I'm not repeating any other post here.

When was the last time you lubed the flex shaft? It's recommended that you lube it every 40 hours of use or so. Also, when was the last time you changed the bushings in your motor? Old bushings result in less power which results in bad cuts. Also (and I doubt this is your problem, but a good maintenance idea none the less) do you regularly "dust" your motor with compressed air? It's a really good idea to do so every time you use it; dust and metal particles can accumulate inside your motor shortening it's life. You can just use one of those compressed air cans they sell to clean the vents and keyboard on your computer.

Hope some of this helps.

Posted on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:30 am

Thanks so much for the tip about the blades. I believe this all started out with an input about having problems with the pepe jump ring maker. I joined in (my first time on this site), and brought up my problem about the ringer I have one which doesn't use a flex shaft at all. It is Ray's Jump Ringer Basic Short which uses a drill mounted on a board to cut the coils. So sorry if I cut off the original subject. I am new at this all.

Carolyn
kodiak wrote:
No, you did OK....Dave's Koil Kutter is a decent tool, but you'd probably get a consensus from folks that have experience with both, that Grossman's is just a bit better. Machine to closer tolerances than the Pepe also.

*DON'T* pay those ridiculous prices for blades, like $19 something from Rio, or anyplace else....check Thurston's website, the #323 blades are less than $6 bucks, high quality blades. You will need to grind in a key-way if you've chosen to keep the key-way on the arbor. Not a big deal, worth the $14 savings.

I'm sure Ray will get back to you. He's good about that....I talk to him still, occasionally, mainly to get updates on when the stock of "improved"(not), units has finally been exhausted, and he gets back to producing the original design.

Kodiak-

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm

i have the pepe system too, what i have done in the past is insert a dowel or if i dont have one exactly the right size, i use a few smaller wooden dowels. that way there is some support on the inside and they dont shoot all over. i had this issue when i first started cutting too. i havent done any argentium yet though. the other issue i had, was the rings werent cutting all the way thru when i used 16 gauge wire. possibly there is an issue with any wire over 18gauge.

Christy

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2