Glass chainmail
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Glass chainmail
Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

First post for this Canadian glassblower. I make glass chainmail. I have submitted to the gallery a picture of the start of a glass chainmail necklace. I have no pictures of the first one I made, this is the second, and it isn't finished. I was thinking I would start leaving rings out of the center of the piece, and continue expanding with both sides at five rings wide, before tapering down to a tight fitting hook and eye type clasp. Just have to wait for it to be approved for you to see it. It is under "materials-other".

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:11 am

i took a sneak peak, very nice work.

are you using boro or soft glass? do you simply shape glass rod?

do you anneal the rings seperately.. and.. do you anneal all the rings? can you bring it to temperature in the kiln without having them fuse together?

i'm not really knowledgable about glass. i'll have to show this to my sister, who is a lampworker/glassblower. i'm sure she'll love it.

i would be interested in hearing more about how you do this. i hope to have a torch by this time next year for production work for my sister. glass maille sculpture would be the cats' pajamas.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:17 am

funny thing is that around christmas i was watching a glassworker that had a worksite set up in a local mall and thought that it would be a really neat thing to make chainmaille out of glass... cudos to you for making it work. Very Happy

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:29 am

I work in borosilicate glass. This piece is just made from 4mm clear rod, but the first one I made I stirred up colour and pulled the rod to make it from. I leave annealing untill it is finished, the rings won't stick unless you get the kiln too hot.

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:35 pm

Here is a link to a dicussion forum where I have a picture of it posted. It is currently the last post on the page, but it may get added to. This is a better quality picture than I was able to submit here.
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618&page=2&pp=20

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:41 pm

Ya! someone else that makes glass maille!
I got bit by the bug a few years ago and played around with it. I too watched the guy at the mall making stuff with the torch and thought, I've got a torch, I can do that.

I'm using a mapp gas torch and Pyrex glass. I've been working on a Bez chain mostly.

Laters
Stephen

Submissions: 75

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:35 pm

Sweet man. A full shirt out of that would be crazy!

Sit back, relax, and whip out some rings!

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:05 pm

just dont get hit to hard Razz

very nice
-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Crazy maillers... Tsk tsk tsk...

Yes, I am aware that I am one of them...

Btw, kinda takes the original purpose of maille away, doesn't it? I mean... You are probably safer NOT wearing that stuff that you are wearing it... Razz But who are we, who powerwind with no protection (well some of us do/have done), who carry more weight that most spines can deal with, who slip'n'jab ourselves at least once or twice a day with needle nose pliers to scorn it for that reason... Very Happy

Looks just beautiful... Shiney... *Gollum*

Firngrod

Oh, sweet nubiness.
I mean... It's only fun as long as you are learning something.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:58 pm

That is really cool. very pretty.

A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:05 am

Nice, Now if you would just share how you made the connections so cleanly...HEHE. everything i've tried comes out with a nice/ugly bubble at the connetion piont....*snif*

again vary Nice i can't waite to see it finished.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 38

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:41 am

Woaw!! that gnarly! i realy like the blue and red in the necklace!

so how to you cut those rings? bolties Razz HAHAha

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:49 am

MaxumX wrote:
Nice, Now if you would just share how you made the connections so cleanly...HEHE. everything i've tried comes out with a nice/ugly bubble at the connetion piont....*snif*

again vary Nice i can't waite to see it finished.

There is a reason glass chain is considered a test of a lampworkers skill. It helps to make the connection thin, and collapse it down untill it is even, and round it off with a graphite rod. It is critical to use the right amount of glass for the ring.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:33 pm

My style is to form each ring on its own. I welded a piece of pipe to the lower jaws of pliers. So I grip the the end of the rod and start winding it into an open ring. Set it aside to cool as I work the next one. After its cooled, i use a little trick the glass guy showed me. I use my side cutters to snap the glass rod off.

just grip the glass where you want it cut and squeeze and twist the wrist holding the cutter. its not much pressure and I just move my wrist about 1/2 inch. its amazing. The end is clean with usully a small sharp bit.

Now its an open ring. I thread it normally. heat up the ends and a spot about 1/4 around the ring. I can then grip that with the pliers and bend and fuse the ends togeather. its now a solid ring.

Sure kills time. If I get as many as 6 rings done, I'm happy. Sometimes the twist style breaks the ring. it happens. oh well, I use that glass to make other things with. beads, marbles ect.

So ya, I've started a shirt. Its not practical. Its ART! Its has no use but to look cool and bragging rights.

Tip o the Hat, Brian. Your stuff looks great!

Stephen

BTW, slip and jab is not something I want to think about. cherry red glass wacking you? not fun.
After a marble exploded, I found out that glass sticks to you!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:35 am

Maillling of a whole different order. Maille windchimes. Where do I buy?

A wise man cannot be insulted, for the truth is not an insult, and untruth is not worthy of notice.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next