Practical chainmail- riding a motor bike?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:11 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Very interesting INDEED!
The way a mailer thinks... it's like you're born for it... and the people who are drawn to mail tend to think like the others.

I already have a helmet... and maile... now all I need is a bike. I've been driving for three years... three cars..(none wrecked[well one from the inside:roll: Coif LoL ], no felonies, and only minor traffic signal violations.)
I want a bike but as long as I am still working, AND living, in my parents house... they won't take me buying a bike. SO I'm just trying to see if weaving some maill for a bike suit when I can get one, is an impractical idea.
Needlenose Pliers

Posted on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:17 pm

One, I believe that most ambulances/rescue trucks carry a multitude of cutting tools, such as aviation snips or those scissors they show on TV that cut pennies. While I'd make some quick releases, they'd probably have little trouble cutting the maille off, especially because they'd probably put you on a gurney, in the ambulance, then cut it off while en route to a hospital. Not much internal surgery can be done on a ambulance AFAIK anyway.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:18 pm

I ride a bike. and i Started a jacket. but i stopped about 1/4 of the way in. i was using 14g 3/8 galvy. i stopped production for 2 reasons. one- weight. two- the smell!

i would still like to make a jacket for make up for the "No-Armor-Value" of a motorcycle. im gonna wait for the wallet to get phat enough for some Ti. Very Happy

To all who ride a motorcycle- Please be safe. I know from personal exp. how its hard to go slow. if you know what i mean.

~Z?~

I do not have a Soul, I AM a Soul. I HAVE a body.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:02 pm

Hmm - if you really want maille with your motorcycle stuff, I'd say to think about starting small first - any chains to replace with maille? zipper pulls, epaulets (however it's spelled), maybe a belt or boot chains - have chaps? enlay down the side or on the back of your jacket, maybe even some maille on the outside of your gloves...your handlebars - do you have tassles....fringe on your jacket? Saddle bags or a cargo hold...all sortsa stuff can be covered or made from maille, doesn't necessarily have to be a suit over you...But I'd say to go for it -

Take the in and out need into effect...The best way to think safely might be to make an opening in the front and in the back...not with a zipper, but with a clasping busk of sorts...what's a busk? A busk is a semi-flexible piece of plastic, etc, that has large hooks on it - used for making corsets and such. You might be able to find some if you look hard enough...if you can't find any...then maybe you can get some large hooks (like the kind that are on boots for lacing) - to hook a ring over.

someone - at some time - enlayed maille onto their bike - either the seat or the gas-tank and hard-covered sadle bags.

It's just me, all by my lonesome.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Quote:
Can people think of good ways to incorporate chainmail into a leather jacket? Elbows, shoulders... arms, maybe? What about underneath?

Ring Maille. Use 1/2 in SS rings sewn into a jacket.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:16 pm

or popped through the leather. Less chance of the ring coming free of the stitching, if there is no stitching!

Submissions: 7

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:30 am

There's also the heat to think about. I heard a story once, don't know the full details:

A biker had maille on while riding when the bike blew a tire. Instead if rolling he went sliding. A trucker who saw this stopped to see how he was and saw him get up, smoking from all over. The biker ran toward him screaming "Get it off, get it off!" The friction from the road had either worn through his jacket and heated up the maille or else he had the maille on the outside. He survived with minor burns all over. I like maille, I like riding, but I'm not risking it. Uber

(accidental alliteration)

motorcycle jacket project
Posted on Sun May 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi I know this is an old thread but I'm starting a motorcycle jacket and thought people may be interested.

I've been making maille on and off for a few years and have been riding bikes about 9. After a roasting, super hot and sunny, sweat rashed journey around greece and europe in summer 2007 (from the uk) I decided it's time to think of a solution that keeps you cool but as safe as leather.

I came across the article from Jason who rode into a deer and whose maille shirt saved his torso and I decided to make a jacket. I wanted as much info as possible but there's precious little out there. After all my reading I've got a plan, which is in detail at:
http://www.phillipjackson.co.uk/made/chainmail/motorcyclejacket.html

But in summary:
- japanese 6-2 pattern (butted)
- made with m12 and m6 spring steel lock washers
- split down the front, fastened with luggage straps
- calculated 2x as strong as 1.2mm leather
- calcualted no hotter (perhaps 1/3 less hot) than leather during abrasion

I'd appreciate it if anyone can take the time to read my plans at the above address and comment positively/negatively on my science and ideas. Point out any flaws perhaps Smile

cheers,
phill jackson

Posted on Mon May 19, 2008 3:04 am

I've never been on a bike, so I'm probably not one to ask, but it seems to me that chainmail would be excellent for preventing road rash but not for anything else, just like its use in battle, prevents cutting but not impact. I would say definitely nothing with a closed front, as someone mentioned to avoid choking or other problems, I'd also say it would probably be best built onto leather.

like the forearms and the side of the leg. isn't the side of the leg a common place to suffer road rash if you lay down a bike?

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2