Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:35 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

It's a medievil pimp toilet.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:52 pm

MrMaigo wrote:

Been to wastewater treatment plant? Nothing like the smell of 3 million people's "poo" gone septic... Laughing

Yes. Pig, duck, and turkey farms have them beat, hands down....

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:13 pm

It's my understanding that human waste if not treated, is then used to grow food is hazerdous to human health. But i believe copmposting has its advantages.

How can introduce myself to myself when I don't even know me any more
Insanity is an artform!
MEMENTO MORI MOO

Posted on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Yes, the way that septic systems work is that the 'nasties' that cause disease are killed off by an overpopulation of good microbes. Its like the processes that decompose meat. It smells nasty as hell for a while, but with enough time and the right environment, it becomes as inert as dust.

I read an article that stated that municipal wastewater in developing countries is an important water and fertilizer source, since the farmers can rarely afford to fertilize with chemicals or animal manure on a large scale. It sounds nasty, and it *can* be dangerous, it doesn't seem to kill millions or anything. They're more worried about AIDS in that kind of area.

Oh, and COOL SEAT, never thought of that.

Submissions: 72

Posted on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:41 pm

Sure, you might get a disease if you happen to expose yourself to the raw sewage of a few million people, but composting your own poo is perfectly safe. After it's broken down for a few weeks in your composting barrel, it's no more dangerous than dirt, because it IS dirt.....very fertile dirt.

It seems to be the thought that poo is waste, therefore it is bad for you and it should be as far away from you as possible. I think once our soil is so depleted that even all of our chemical fertilizers do no do enough to grow adequate amounts of food, our poo will become stinky gold. Soil depletion just isn't that big of a problem yet. Rolling Eyes

So, I shall enjoy my electricity-free composting toilet with a maille seat and metal lid. Very Happy

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:41 am

mettalleious ravenwolf wrote:
It's my understanding that human waste if not treated, is then used to grow food is hazerdous to human health. But i believe copmposting has its advantages.

ANY raw waste, including animal manure, contains "nasties" like e-coli and should not be used for plants grown for human consumption BUT the internal temps, good bacteria, earthworms, and microfauna in a working compost pile kill and/or eat these nasty bits and result in a safe, inexpensive, and effective fertilizer.

Posted on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:21 am

nothin like getting a couple rings stuck in your crack after your midnight dump Surprised

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:36 am

Allan Menefee wrote:
I read an article that stated that municipal wastewater in developing countries is an important water and fertilizer source, since the farmers can rarely afford to fertilize with chemicals or animal manure on a large scale. It sounds nasty, and it *can* be dangerous, it doesn't seem to kill millions or anything. They're more worried about AIDS in that kind of area.

Like I said, we do that in th US. As long as its processed, dewatered and dryed (cooked in the sun) its safe.

Posted on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:32 am

My toilet seat is already cold enough. I don't need to be putting metal on it. In all reality though, that is a really cool toilet. I wish I had that just as a show piece. Something that great does not deserve to be pooped on.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:20 am

MrMaigo wrote:
Like I said, we do that in th US. As long as its processed, dewatered and dryed (cooked in the sun) its safe.

Wow!! nothing like totally buying into "the system" LOL!

First you pay for the water, then you send a few gallons down the drain with every flush, then you pay them to remove the water from the poo and treat it with a number of chemicals before flushing it back into a lake or river (still containing high levels of chemicals that affect plants and wildlife) where other cities downstream repeat the process. Very few cities actually sell or "recycle" the solid waste either. Most burn or bury it.

Mother nature can safely "treat" human waste without wasting fresh water, costing you both ways, or adding to the polution problems our rivers, streams, and lakes already have. Composting toilets are a good start to saving our precious natural resources, reducing the costs of living, and recycling our waste.

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/

Posted on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:25 am

Mikal , I've seen you talk about dumper diving for compost things, and now, more compost preaching...
I have a compost bed, but it's no big deal... I throw stuff out there, let it rot, next year I use it for my garden.
But there is some limit to the use of compost.
Unless you live on a big property, and have a big garden.... do you?
Otherwise, what are you going to do with all this good soil!
Maybe if you grew mushrooms or vegatables.... or something Coif Cool Smiley
what gives

Posted on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:35 am

speaking of it...
SOIL DEPLETION!!??!
Ok, maybe if Africa, or the Down Under.... but look, if you live in the US and make chain mail, odds are, you have good soil.
And it's not like depleted soil can't be cured by other means than adding 'better soil'.
Over time, soil rejevenates, with rain, insects and worms, even without things being added like compost or leaves or new soil, the soil will come back to life(over time)... thus, the fuetal system and farming and peons was one of the original needs of chainmaill, to defend the farmers, because of crop rotation: the ancient way to renew the soil.
* ALERT* Ok, I know that was a rant, sorry
Coif Cool Smiley

Don't get me wrong, I like a enviromentalist, but espeically one who would USE the stuff they compost, and share it, and grow a better more happy place.
And I don't like people who would claim to be enviromentalists and mulch soil and grow gardens... but then they DRIVE A CAR to work, and they TAKE SHOWERS and waste water, and they FLUSH THE TOILET instead of walking out into the woods, and who THROW AWAY trash on the road like nature was a waste basket.
And I don't like myself if that is how it goes Smile I'm just saying it's nice and all but considering the other factors of human life it seems such a small effort as compost is feeble.

I say, we all strap on our chainmaille gear, and go with swords to take care of the 'real problem'....

YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT!!

Submissions: 72

Posted on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:33 am

Flowstone,

I may make a large garden, and I may not. If I end up making more compost than I can use, I'll give it away to who ever wants it. I don't plan to hoard dirt.

Quote:
speaking of it...
SOIL DEPLETION!!??!
Ok, maybe if Africa, or the Down Under.... but look, if you live in the US and make chain mail, odds are, you have good soil.

I don't follow...Come see the soil around where I live. Most of the fields I drive by are white.

I never said I was an environmentalist, nor did I say anything about what anyone should do. Go ahead and drive your cars and take your showers. It's OK.

Quote:

I'm just saying it's nice and all but considering the other factors of human life it seems such a small effort as compost is feeble.

No it's not. Every step is worthwhile.

Bah, we seem to have changed the topic of this thread. Let's go back.

Sweet seat!

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 am

cliffordparker wrote:
... where other cities downstream repeat the process. ....

When I used to live in Lowell Massachusetts I would joke that there is no such thing as 'Lowell water' since we have Nashua and Manchester upstream. Surprised

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:38 am

cliffordparker wrote:
Wow!! nothing like totally buying into "the system" LOL!

Dude, I totaly work for the f'ing system Laughing

The water that comes out our wastewater plant is better than the water that comes into our fresh water plants. Course we have one of the better run plants in the country, but you HAVE heard of the EPA, right? The chemicals get removed too, hell, they practily remove themselves.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next