Lookin for Wire Round North Detroit
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Lookin for Wire Round North Detroit
Posted on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Im Looking for a good place to get wire from im just north of detroit in roseville

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:11 am

this isn't really the place to post this, but I'll just give you the same answer that everybody else gets when they ask a similar question;
You can get lots of stuff from www.theringlord.com or you can go to a farm suply store for galvy, usually only 14g and 17g, og a welding suplly store to get stainless and brass. But I prefer TRL myself.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to... I guess."
"And remember, if it aint broke, you aint tryin'" - Red Green

Posted on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:36 am

thanx but i dont use a credit card so its hard to order stuff online though i want this ring i seen that jewlers use to open there rings

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:05 am

go to a bank, get a checking account, get a debit card with a visa logo on it then you can use it exactly like a visa credit card. that's what I do, 'cause my mom was tierd of having to use her credit card then have me give her cash when I wanted to order stuff and scence I'm only 14 I cant get a CC, so I just got a DC and it works fine.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to... I guess."
"And remember, if it aint broke, you aint tryin'" - Red Green

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:29 pm

You can probably get that ring through a beading-supplies store; it's used for opening and closing jumprings. It works on light-gauge wire. Do make sure it's actually big enough to fit on your finger or thumb.

On heavier steel wire, you need some more leverage because it's so stiff. A short metal bar held in the weak hand and with notches filed/cut in the end to take the wire works like that ring you mentioned. Another way of doing the same thing is to use a small crescent wrench, opened up just enough to take the wire.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:36 pm

Money orders.

Take your cash to the post office or 7-11 and get a money order. You can get 'em as low as $0.39.

Secure as a credit card, easy as cash. Very Happy

--Martin--

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Submissions: 6

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:03 am

There's a place called C.R. Hill in Berkley, they sell jeweler's supplies, you might be able to find a ring closer there. It's on 11 Mile about a block and a half west of Coolidge highway. I don't think (from the one time I went there) that they sell big rolls of steel and aluminum wire, though, only brass, copper, and silver. You can give it a try, though, if you're willing to make the drive. There's also Armstrong Tool and Supply, but that's farther west. PM me if you want the number for C.R. Hill, you could just call and ask if they have what you want.

Submissions: 23

Posted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 pm || Last edited by Steellord on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

I also live in Roseville, and I have found 16 ga. galv in my local ACO hardware store. They sell 100 ft for around five bucks. They also had other types and sizes of wire there. I would also check out Lowes and Home Depot. Coif Cool Smiley

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order.

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:53 am

Steellord, you're getting grotesquely raped on wire prices. Here's my advice: shop around until you find someplace like my favorite lumberyard that sells wire not by the foot but by the pound and clips it off a big reel for you. These guys sell wire in bulk for people who use it in quantity -- which is maillers, all the way. I get galvy at eighty cents US the pound, any gauge they have, and they always give me a bit extra to guarantee that I've got all the pounds I've ordered, so it's even more economical. Somewhere there's a table for feet of wire to the pound, for each gauge. I never bother with this, since I just figure my shirts are X number of pounds of wire.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 pm

Steellord wrote:
I also live in Rosevile, and I have found 16 ga. galv in my local ACO hardware store. They sell 100 ft for around five bucks. They also had other types and sizes of wire there. I would also check out Lowes and Home Depot. Coif Cool Smiley

Everywhere I've seen in oakland county sells 16 gauge galvy for $6 per 200 ft.

blackeagle13@gmail.com ~ AIM: IWeavemaille13
AudioScrobbler - http://www.last.fm/user/Blackeagle13/

Submissions: 23

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info Konstantin, I appreciate the advice, I am new to mailling, I have only bought the one coil from ACO, just so I could have some wire other than the copper scraps I salvaged from work to mess around with. I am eagerly awaiting my first shipment of wire from TRL.

Thanks for the heads up on the galvy prices in OC Blackeagle. Could you point me to some of the places you've been to please.

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order.

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:12 pm

TSC(tractor supply)
Has bright aluminum for 1/4 mile for $17.
Availible in 16 and 14 gauge.

Just an thought.

Chain Armorer, apprentice
Chain Jewelry, professional(I got paid for chain!)
SCA Wilhelmus Pilgramm

Submissions: -1

Posted on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:01 am

i do not recomend getting wire at a hardware store if possible get it at a flea market i have found there wire to be about %20 cheaper Smile

Posted on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 am

Wow, I didn't know there were so many people here from MI, specifically Oakland County. I wish I had gotten into maille sooner, before I moved. I miss it. Crying (very sad)

"You're out of your mind."
"That's between me and my mind."

Submissions: 10

Posted on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Wow i feel like an idiot. I buy 100ft of 16ga galvy from home depot for $7. I feel so limited in my resources for armor. But thats ok i have a jewelry supply store a mile away from me. My little TRL! Smile

I make stuff!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next