Copper
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Copper
Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Can anyone tell me the ups and downs of copper?
I've kind of realized it is soft and I don't think I want to make a hauberk out of it, beause it would not hold up.
But I'm making a matching bracer out of copper to match my galvy bracer... can you see any problems with the copper?

How do you clean your copper, how does it hold up , and what is the largest peice you recomend for copper??( as in, will a mantle or coif work as well?

Any other tidbits about copper?

Submissions: 29

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 pm || Last edited by Chou on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

try to get your AR as low as possible (4.2 or so should work for 4-1). when you do this, the rings have the maxium strength for their size, the thicker and smaller a ring is, the harder it is to open, and on something like a bracer, you should be fine, since the bracer itself is supporting no weight

so as said, id really not reccomend making anything that has to support its own weight (shirts, coifs, mantles, etc...), but you should be fine with stuff like bracers, gauntlets, trim, etc...

Are there washing instructions?
Gu-burii sabiri

www.chouschains.tk

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 pm

copper is soft, as you mentioned.... thus, it is also easy to work with...

to clean copper, simply dip it in vinegar for a few seconds, and it wil come out gleaming.

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm

One thing to remember is your own body chemistry. Most folks turn green if they wear copper for too long.

Re: Copper
Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Flowstone wrote:

Any other tidbits about copper?

I've been working with copper quite a bit (jewelry) and I have found it a wonderful metal -- as it ages, it takes on a beautiful "patina." I have a 4 in 1 bracelet on now ... color is like an old copper penny. Smile

Submissions: 29

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:13 pm

well said pixelpup, btw, welcome to the board, i see this is your first post

Are there washing instructions?
Gu-burii sabiri

www.chouschains.tk

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:43 pm

I just made a copper ring (band ring from sheet metal) and it does indeed turn my finger a nice rusty green color. My guess would be that wire is no different. If you work with copper enough it'll temper (become hard) other than working with it, I'm not sure how to make it hard again, if one of our resident metalurgist experts could help me out here...

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks, Chou!

I've been lurking for a while. Wonderful forum ... I've learned a lot here!

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Copper is my favorite metal to work with. It's really pretty, easy to clean (a few seconds and a light rub in lemon juice or vinegar), and it works like butter. I love the feel of it in my pliers.

Sadly, it's only good for jewelry/art, as it's too heavy and weak for armor/fashions...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:54 pm

Looks like you guys answered my questions.
I agree with you guys.. I .... LOVE.... working with copper. It's so easy to bend. I even made half a E4in1 3/8" bracer out of copper in just a couple hours! It's too bad it does not work well for hanging armours.

Posted on Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:59 pm

You could always use it for edging on armour, like around the bottom edge of a shirt and around the cuffs of the sleeves. That would look beautiful new, and even nicer after it ages a little bit. Just my 2 rings worth.

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:06 am

I use copper a lot. Cleaning up is no problem, lemon juice and salt. I haven't used vinegar, how well does it work? Lemon juice is used simply cos there's a tree out the back. But I love to work with the copper rings, and mixed with sterling they look quite good.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:37 am

Blaise wrote:

Sadly, it's only good for jewelry/art, as it's too heavy and weak for armor/fashions...

I hear tell DC's got some couple tons of copper coated steel.

Posted on Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:40 am

cleaning... I use a 2 stap process... 1st is a misture of a mild acid called ph- (minus) and water in a croc pot (for to heat it up) and leave it in there for a couple hours to make sure it's nice and shiny... then when that's done, I take it out and put it into a mixture of room temp water/baking soda mixture to neutralize the acid and get all the excess dirt off... I use this process for when I'm heating up my copper/brass and it gets super super dirty in the process and it leaves it nice and clean... if you leave it in long enough.

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:49 pm

I find ketchup works nicely for cleaning copper. Turns it from dark brown to shiny as a new penny in seconds flat.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next