CoBolt questions.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

CoBolt questions.
Posted on Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:23 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok, I'm considering wether or not to buy Kinpex CoBolt cutters. i want to know a few thingamijggers.
1. The type of cuts. I read they make >< cuts or // cuts, If the cut is ><, I'm not buying them..
2. How quickly can you cut through a foot long coil, or how many rings per minute(rpm Laughing )
3. Do they need to be grinded at all.

Thanks.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:47 am

These are diagonal cutters, correct? In that case, the cut would be ><.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:59 am

Well I love my knipex the cuts are pinched yes but very good, better than pinched but not as good as machine sheared. Oh and about how many per minute or hour that depends on the material I use primarily 14 and 16 gauge galvy 16 guage cuts a little faster but thats cause its a thinner wire, but I average about 2000 rings an hour cause I'm crazy like that incidently I now have no biceps and huge forearms think popeye. Very Happy of course I can't feel my hand after that but that goes away in a while and it gives me enough rings to last me a week cause I only do it when I'm bored now. and don't grind them cause that will void the warranty if you got it off a tool truck or from knipex. but don't worry you'll be able to cut through anything you throw at it up to 3/16" according to the knipex website, but you can't cut through a spoon Laughing why would I try this cause I wanted my own spork. Laughing Very Happy http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/pics/16839picture_009.jpg I love my knipex so much I took a picture of them I've cut through about 20,000-25,000 so far and still no chips or nothing it squeaks a little but oil does wonders.

It's probably the obsessive compulsiveness, but without it I'd never be able to control my ADHD.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:19 am

Kabaalk wrote:
These are diagonal cutters, correct? In that case, the cut would be ><.
They would be mini bolties Coif Cool Smiley I personally don't have a pair, but I have heard that they give cuts close to //, but don't quote me on it since I don't have my own pair.
Reed

"Life is like a box of chocolates...but yours is like a box of live grenades!!!"
A man/boy/teenager of many talents/hobbies/gifts.
Check out better resolution pics of my stuff, as well as more in general at http://community.webshots.com/user/bnnnboy

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:35 am

They may give you >< cuts, but they do it very easily. The pair I have cut through TRL's 16ga 3/4 hard stainless as easily as my avation snips go through 18ga brass. They're also very good for score'n'break. If you're going to cut big and tough wire, the CoBolts are the way to go.

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:05 am

when i cut stainless with my cobolts, ,they give me // cuts... galvy is pinch cuts.. al i dont know, ,cause i dont use al

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:45 pm

They are the best $42 I ever spent. They work best on hard metals, Stainless, tungsten... haven't tried Ti yet.

After so many years of hand cutting, I've really damaged my hands. THe knipex allow me to cut again. If I had bought these years ago, my hands wouldn't be in the shape they are.

Get them.
If you are serious about maille, get them.

Stephen

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:12 am

Yah, it has only been two years of mailleing and my hand already hurt but I have mine now all because I borrowed yours, Stephan... but I think it's a good thing I did. And yeah the harder the wire the better the cut.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1