knippex maintenance
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 17

knippex maintenance
Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

howdy all

as many of you know, i recently bought a pair of knippex mini bolt cutters... when i giot them, there was ABSOLUTLEY not gap whatsoever between the jaws when closed, ,and they did not move in any other direction the slightest bit other than open/close..

now, i have noticecd there is a very small gap forming between the jaws, and when i grab the handles and slide them in opposite directions, the jaws slide about 2mm....

why are they doing this? knippex are the absolute best, so i dont expect this from them...

what can i do about it?

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 7

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:17 pm

Sounds like you got a defective pair.

Mine are rather old (I got them second-hand about 2 years ago) and have cut nothing but hard metals - stainless, titanium, bronzes - and have no gap or wobble at all.

The stainless barely rubbed off the black finish of the blades.

G--

A PBS mind in an MTV world

Submissions: 47

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:04 pm

Is that knipex some kind of brand or what? What's so cool about them? Are they somehow special or different? I have Magnum mini bolt cutters and they are just fine.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:50 pm

Knippex are probably the very best mini bolties out there. I just got mine last month and i'm glad i did. Now i'm chewing through the 3/4 hard SS TRL offers.
I'm still havent tried them on my tungsten/cobalt wire though... I'd hate to kill them so soon.
I've never seen the Magnums, So I can't offer an opinion on them.

Stephen

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:10 am

sounds like the problem i have with the snap-on cutters my dad got me. i dont know what kind mine are or what yours look like, but mine have a screw that keeps working loose. when i tighten the screw it gets a bit better, so maybe its something like that.

WILL WORK FOR WIRE.
I cannot please you all forever
I cannot please you at all. ~seether

http://www.myspace.com/darkdawn

Submissions: 47

Posted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 am

My Magnums looks like this (on the left):

One prolem I do have with these. I use to cut 2*2 rings (annealed steel) at the same time. Once I tried to cut 3 rings at the same time and I cutted through 2 feets long coil. I busted my mini bolr cutters blades. There are few gaps on them but they still work nicely.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:21 pm

I agree with Queene, try tightening the screws.

Knipex cutters are some of the best. If you're having problems this early, then something's definitely not right.

If tightening the bolts doesn't help, then I'd contact the place where you got them and see if you can get a replacement (it should fall under Knipex's warranty...)

Posted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:09 am

my knippex have no screws... they have solid cobolt rivets. theyre not the problem though. the cutters dont have play sideways or anything.... the way they travel is parallell with the arms... kinda hard to explain. i spoke to my teacher about them yesterday, he says that a slight bit of play in the direction mine are moving is sorta normal.. also, i bought mine at a flea market, so replacement is pretty much impossible...

all this is not to say they dont work beautifully! they just melt through 2mm galvy, and snap stainless off cleanly leaving a near flush cut.... copper is a bit of a pain cause its just too soft to cut, but a light twist gets the rings off...

the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:32 pm

Whoops, sorry... guess I should have taken a look at my pair before saying that. Although the misalignment of the blades could still be occurring through the bolt-plates... but unfortunately it doesn't look like anything you could easily fix Sad at least they cut the harder metals well enough!

Posted on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:38 am

yeah. im happy with them... i was jsut a bit concerned at the fact that knippex are german made precision tools, and so far i have never had the slightest problem with any german stuff.... this is the first... not that its much of a problem,, more of a sentimental/emotional thing.... i feel for my tools.. if they are not happy, i am not happy...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1