66%  [ 16 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

Submissions: 77

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

you know sometimes I think people who are even dumb enough in the first place to shoot themselves while wearing maille should be dead anyway. Of course we don't want that kinda incident on our hands. If you're going to shoot something, do it like Jue-Eldir, and nail it to a tree.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:42 pm

Konstantin the Red wrote:
I think a newbie forum is an even better idea than a one-stop-for-newbies thread, not to take anything from that idea. Combine it with a link setup something like "Are you new to mail? Click here to read articles on the FAQs, then go to the general discussions in the Knitting Circle." We would, I think, get more refined questions since the basic questions would largely have been answered.

I like this idea of Konstantin's; most of the FAQs are questions that have more than one answer, e.g. "Is speedweaving a good idea?", "What is the best way to cut coils?", that sort of thing.

We could either move threads from other fora or start new ones in the FAQ/newbie forum. I don't much like the idea of a FAQ that says "Look somewhere else." If we did start new threads then they would have to be heavily moderated. We are a chatty bunch after all. Very Happy Look at the "maille of proof" subthread we've got here.

(accidental alliteration)

Submissions: 21

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:07 pm

A lot of questions are ones whose answer is an opinion. For example...

What's the best kind of cutters?

Of course, the answer is mini bolties, but not everybody may think so. Wink (j/k of course -- they have their downfalls)

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:06 pm

After giving this a quick skim I?d have to ask ?Why does it have to be one or the other??

Blaise that prototype FAQ looks great! Coif Cool Smiley Definitely a good idea and I like the direct links to more information. Could those be made to pop up in a new window to make getting back to the FAQ easier for the newbie? They?ll almost certainly be looking for more than one answer.

As for the Newbie Forum? That could run in parallel to the FAQ with a link to the FAQ prominently at the top of the page. That would provide a place to ask more informed newbie questions.

As to the ?bullet proof maille? question I have to agree that we don?t want to give anyone the idea that it could be done. Not just from a ?limiting our liability? standpoint, but from the point of view that ?you really don?t want to try that because you will not survive and we want you around to make and enjoy maille for a good long time.? The ?kids, don?t try this at home? wording of that answer works for me.

My two rings worth.

Oh, one more thing? As for the Darwin factor: If they?re that dumb, they?ll probably remove themselves from the gene pool one way or another. We just don?t want to give them any ideas. (At least none that could be traced? Very Happy )

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 21

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:00 pm

Legal liability, schmiability... Razz

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 pm

Thadius wrote:
Legal liability, schmiability... Razz

Liability indeed! You have 666 posts you dyval! Razz

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2