What would -you- do to make MAIL better?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

what would -you- do to make MAIL better?
Nothing, this is the most wonderful site in the world
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
Change the look and feel
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Reorganize the weaves
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Reorganize the gallery
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Reorganize the articles
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Re-edit the articles
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Incorporate
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Form a guild
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I don't care, I'm just looking for mail addresses to spam, what's chainmaille?
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

Submissions: 7

What would -you- do to make MAIL better?
Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:50 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Sakredchao raised an interesting point in another thread, what do you all think?

(accidental alliteration)

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:00 pm

i'm on the weaves scene.. expect changes to start about 3pm mountain time.

the things you listed are all based on changing the things that are there presently.. what about new ideas to make it better?

how can we get more traffic?

dealing with the broken chatroom link..?

maybe the server is too slow?

the weaves is the only thing i can think of that needs to be redone.. (well, and the chat room thing..)

maybe we could use this thread to brainstorm ideas.. not to hash them out.. if there is enough interest in a certain idea, we should start a new thread for it, so people do not6 have to sift through endless amounts of information.. but let's brainstorm first, huh?

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:07 pm

If everybody has a personal site, hopefully they already have a link to M.A.I.L.! Very Happy

To make it even easier, we could use some spiffy banners (big, small, whatever!). I'm horrible at that though, anybody else?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:08 pm

FREE BEER! Very Happy

How about a bit more information on how the search engine works - can you use "minus" to eliminate certain things? (Such as "bracelet -brass".) If this functionality isn't there, could it be added?

Maybe a few times a year, add all the articles to a PDF file available for download?

I hate the black background, but as all the graphics match it, it's not worth changing.

"Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:23 pm

I think that this sight is one of the best out there for maille information..Other then some standable things that could be changed its fine to soute its needs, and ours..well some of us any way...lol.

The things that i can think of that could be changed are:

broken links...i.e. The Chat room
A bit of Disoray in the gallery and weaves..
Cleaning out the links page....(some are not there anymore.)
The look of the sight..though i am all for the black and gray maby we could find some other combination...how about gold and dark brown or a backround of some kind..maille related of corse..

i have to rase the question of, Is maille going to be come a guild? and should it?...( i think yes and...then no...im not realy shere )

Whould we like to see more trafic and how do we accmplish this? I run a buisness as some of you might know you may have even been in once..i have "the MAIL flyer " all over my shop. I also gave them to some of the local shops in my area. If every one was to do that last thing there...even if you remade the flyer so that it suted the shop you were puting it in it would bring in more people...

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:05 pm

One thing that I really want is more tutorials. People submit all these cool, pretty, weaves, and we stand in awe, only able to try to figure it out by the picture alone. A little more info is really what I'm gunning for.

As for the color scheme, I like it as it is. It gives the place a nice feel, and I dunno if a change would really be that great.

Anyway, I have completed my rambling.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:31 pm || Last edited by Jengajuice on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

uh.......

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:39 pm

Im all about the spamming of people, j/k dont hunt me down and kill me Very Happy , oh and what is chainmaille again Confused ?

I would have to go with the weaves and gallery, maybe an option to goto a certain page or something, instead of having to load the first page and then click on which page you want, especially if you know which page it is (i guess thats where the "search" option comes in) but it would be nice..... Cool

Also, cleaning out the non active members that have been inactive for years! Ok maybe one.

Giving a tour page, you know so people can come look, and then decide if they want to join, but keep the forums down and out to members only, not visitors (im bothered by those who read others stuff when not invited to)

Maybe a map showing where there are armorers across the nation or world even, even if it is just dots on a map, it'd still be cool.

Besides that, you got me, oh maybe some better backgrounds too! (not just black)

Jenga

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:03 pm

The MAIL Chatroom link should be working correctly, as I had Blaise point it to a new server quite a long time ago. The server is IRC.BeyondIRC.net.

As far as weaves go, I feel that there needs to be quite a bit more information. Tutorials would definately be nice, but I feel that the more important issue, for the time being, would be a better organizational structure. I noticed earlier today that we gained a new family (Orbital/Captive), but this is only a beginning. Sub-families may be in order to keep sizes down.

Again, with weaves, it would be nice to know what rings the sample of the weave was done in. With it, more people would be willing to try it. As a collective, we'd then have more knowledge of the weave, and be more willing to try it on our own.

I know for sure that I'm not going to waste my time trying out a new weave if I have no idea what size rings will work (especially in something with 3+ ring sizes). If the sample sizes were given, I would be able to easily construct an identical piece or a scaled piece (derived from AR). I'd be more willing to play around with different AR's.

This brings me to my next point: Blaise was on the right track with his AR Studies article. We should construct a database of known, working Aspect Ratios for each weave. Absolute minimum would be where the weave locks solid. Practical minimum would be where the weave is flexible enough for most applications. It may turn out that Practical Minimum may have more than one variant, such as Ps (Practical for use as a sheet), Pc (Practical for use as a chain), or etc.

As for the articles, I can see why we would need more information. Some of the articles serve just about no purpose, as is the case with an article called Math behind the art. (I mean absolutely no disrespect to Coyote) Some of our articles need to be revised, reformatted, expanded, or even deleted. There also needs to be a restructuring, similar to what I mentioned with the weaves.

Alright, enough ranting. Lets hear some more from other people.

Oh, and one last thing. I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time to help with anything MAIL needs, though I would ask that I be given the power to do so directly and not through proxy. I doubt the administrators trust me enough to, so I should just shut my mouth now. Very Happy

[ Edit: If it was possible, I would vote for #3-5, and partially #6. Being as I can't, I voted for #5. ]

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:42 am

I would also love to see more tutorials, especially with reccomendations for gauge and ID or at least what the artist used then you could figure out the AR for yourself. I also agree that it is frustrating when you think you've found a cool link and it's no longer active, updating or weeding out the links page is a good idea but time consuming. Anyway, I love this site and if nothing changes it would not be horrible or anything but change is good.

Metalchick Wink

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:35 am

I'd be more than willing to weed out the links page. Like I said, though... I wouldn't exactly want to do it through somebody else. It's more of a pain than anything that way.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:26 am

links page

broken links on the lefthand side of the homepage

format and/or fix up the articles

it ould be for my personal pleasure to have articles and gallery stuff go up faster but thats not possible i am just to demanding and they do a good job already

hmmmm.... a banner would be awsome

overall reorganization just to weed out stuf thats no longer in use or needs to be used...

promotion of the chat rrom and connection of it to other mailling sites like TRL

keep ing the peace btwn the sites

ok now i am just ranting

but just a thought or two or three

WAIT a reorganization of the rank system

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:32 am

As for the chat...

There's already five of them up. Two are by TRL. We all want unification, but aren't real motivated to do it. Go figure.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:46 am

i'll ask alderamelech if he's done being the links guy..

as to AR listed witht he weaves.. i'll edit the weaves where the AR has been found with that info after i sort them out.. that is good information to include. i started sorting the weaves out, and hopefully i'll hit the hybrid section and then go back and look through everything again.

i'm glad that nonmembers can look at our site.. other sites have made it a requirement to be a member to view the board, and i strongly disagree with this tactic. everyone is welcome here.

i like our colors.., i wouldn't change that..
or anything that required blaise do any more than the most minimal change.

a member map is a good idea i wonder if there's a way to automate this easily based on profile info,, but again.. don't want o make work for blaise. i always look to see where people are from when reading one of their posts.

adding search engine info to the site FAQ is a good idea. i wonder if it's there already? and if not i wonder if anyone but mari knows the answer to this.

and speaking of FAQs, there is talk of a maille faq in the articles section.. i think this is a great idea.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:52 am

im all up for the world map. heres my suggestion. a VERY large picture of a map of the world, but only 2-3 different colours. green for land, blue for water, red for dots, that way the pictures can be as BIG as they want, and no matter what speed internet you have, it will load super fast. we elect one of the admin people to be the map dotter, and make a sticky thread in the forums with a limit of 1 post per person (is that possible?) in that thread everyone posts NOTHING except their name, and where they live. the admin can then go and put a dot on the map where the mailler is. Very Happy

i suppose australia will be very bare.....

leave the colours as they are. the reason is something like this...
- read the posts on MAIL, the colours are good, but eyes hurt after some time. find a link to buddahs shirt, and read that entire thread on TCB. colours great at first, but eyes get sore after some time. go back to MAIL. colours good again, but after some time, eyes sore.... it really doesent matter what colour combo is used, they ALL get annoying and sore after a while.

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next