View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all!

Just started about a week and a half ago, and I've found my hobby. I started with a European 4 in 1 with 16ga 1/4" rings, and I think it turned out really well. I've got the hang of that, and now I want to try something else. I was thinking some type of sheet, but if there's anything I should do first to expand my skills, I'm open to that.

I want to eventually make a glove, so when I shuck oysters, I don't jam an oyster knife in my hand. Euro 4/1 will be fine for that, I'm sure.

So glad I found people to help me learn.

Dave

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:03 am

If I were you I'd just buy a welded butcher glove, crafting our own safety equipment seems ill advised. I think you'd be better to start off with a shirt anyway, more practice and less of an advanced project.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Dhagan said sheet, not shirt. Concur -- a butchers' glove would be the effective safety article because its links are welded.

Welcome, Dhagan.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 am

Yes I read their post, I was suggesting a shirt would be a better introduction into tailoring and wouldn't need to be welded or considered as safety gear.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:55 am

Yes indeed.

At 25-35K links depending on link size, a shirt is an appreciable time commitment -- figure two months, maybe two plus for a haburgeon, the kind of mailshirt most people think of. Substantially longer if you're radical enough to go steel riveted rings, which is a shirt that resists knives. Butted-link shirts are fine for LARP use and SCA hardstick. Though they'll call for repairing holes at the more vulnerable points from time to time.

Shirts advertise you're a mailler, but unless they're riveted mail, it's not like they sell. Even riveted, at four times the man-hours weaving them compared to butted mail, they are costly. DIY still rules among the mail users. They buy and coil their wire and donate the weaving time, in the furtherance of a larger hobby.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:10 am

I was just thinking how cool you'd look shucking oysters in a shiny aluminum tank top..

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1