aluminum and heat
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

aluminum and heat
Posted on Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question, looking for a reality check.

I read on TRL's site that aluminum rings can not stand up to heat. I was thinking about making a candle holder and the rings would definitely be in close proximity (~2 inches?) of a flame, is stainless a MUST here? If I can use aluminum how about anodization, does that hold up to heat?

Submissions: 20

Re: aluminum and heat
Posted on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

pearldrums wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, looking for a reality check.

I read on TRL's site that aluminum rings can not stand up to heat. I was thinking about making a candle holder and the rings would definitely be in close proximity (~2 inches?) of a flame, is stainless a MUST here? If I can use aluminum how about anodization, does that hold up to heat?

Aluminium melts at a relatively low point, I suspect this is what you read regarding
Anodization on aluminium isn't hard to damage, though I don't know that heat would with any certainty. I'll take a lighter to some later.
My gut would say try Stainless. Though heat will discolour stainless steel as well...

When in doubt, test.

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm

The aluminum alloys TRL uses will begin to lose strength at approx. 350F or 175C. Direct exposure to a candle flame is at least 800C so it would anneal the metal making the rings very soft and weak. However, heat rises, so just being near the base of a candle or touching melted wax should not affect the strength.

The type of anodized coating used by TRL is only decorative, it will not protect the aluminum in any way. In addition, many of the dyes used will degrade at elevated temperatures.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Posted on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot! Bubble Witch Saga 2

Posted on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 am

Direct exposure to a candle flame is at least 800C so it would anneal the metal making the rings very soft and weak. ADC Air Duct Cleaning

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1