Chainmail gauntlets... AIMED AT REENACTORS/SCA!!!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 17

Chainmail gauntlets... AIMED AT REENACTORS/SCA!!!
Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:05 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all..

I am still making my shirt but i get sidetracked Razz
...I havnt got hand protection for sparring with my mate

i heard if you get a pair of leather gloves that you can hold a sword in ok with, then you can use them for training but im worried that my fingers will die >.< So. . . im thinking of making chainmail coated gauntlets like these - http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/detail.aspx?ID=713
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For the chainmail i will be using 14 gauge galvy steel, ring ID 6mm
------------------------------------------------------------------------

To SCA/REENACTORS/PEOPLE WHO TRAIN WITH A SWORD

I have no experience of training with a sword yet ( blunted ) ...

Would these provide ok protection?

Thanks Sam

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 pm

SCA Armored Combat rule for hand armor is below. Note that it requires either plates that will transfer the impact to your weapon instead of your hand, or seriously heavy padding.
Chainmaille, being flexible, doesn't do much good against blunt force. If you wear a maille glove, hold a sword, and get whacked in the hand, the maille will protect your skin but the force will still go through your bones and probably break them.

SCA Rapier Combat requires only that your hand be covered with a snag resistant material, so a rough blade won't cut you. The maille would look cool, but not offer any protection.

The question is, "what kind of swords are you using and in which style?"
If you're fencing, you won't really have an edge chopping at your fingers. If you're cutting with the edge, you will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand and Wrist Armor
The outer surfaces of the hand and wrist of both arms must be covered by one or a combination of the
following:
1. A metal basket hilt with enough bars or plates to prevent a blow from striking the fingers or the back of the
hand. If a basket hilt is used, a vambrace or partial gauntlet shall cover the remaining portions of the hand and
wrist.
2. A gauntlet made of rigid plates; either lined with padding or closed cell foam, or designed to transfer
potentially injurious impact to the surfaces being grasped.
3. A gauntlet of heavy leather lined with closed cell foam or heavy padding.(Note: A hockey glove is considered
to be the equivalent, but looks blatantly modern, and their use is discouraged.)
4. A shield with a shield basket or equivalent. (Note: A shield alone is NOT sufficient, since it covers only the
back of the hand but not the fingers or thumb.)
5. Street hockey gloves are NOT equivalent. Street hockey gloves may be used in tandem with a demi-gauntlet
and basket hilt. Street hockey gloves may also be used behind a shield in tandem with a shield basket

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 pm

well i want to use a welders glove, then cover in chainmail

im using it to defend against detipped blunted swords (2mm blade edge)

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Ok, but what kind of sword? rapier? cutlass? broadsword? claymore?
How is the sword to be used? thrusting with the tip? swinging it like a baseball bat?
Are the hands a legal target? Is there a min/max striking force?
Are you using any rules at all, or are you just planning to go out in the backyard with a buddy and start swinging until someone is injured?

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:24 pm

hand shots and head shots are not allowed.. but imm sure im gonna get hit there!

not really any stabbing but swinging like a bat but then pulling in a bit , just like they do on the reenactments...

we arent aiming to hurt each other.. we are going to learn to fight in our equipment

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:56 pm

Then the maille really isn't going to protect your hands enough to be worth the extra weight. Padding is far more important. Feel free to use it for the spiff factor though.

Hands and head may not be valid targets, but they will be hit. Eye protection is a MUST and I strongly recommend a helmet.

"just like they do on the reenactments" This makes me nervous. Which reenactments are you talking about? Note that Ren faires and such use trained actors and choreographed fights. Everything is different when you're really sparring.

I added the comment about someone getting injured not because I think that's the goal, but because I think that'll be the result. Someone will slip, someone else will get clobbered, and suddenly it's not fun anymore.

I'd strongly encourage you to find a local group that is already doing what you want (SCA or otherwise) and learn from them. They can show you what armor you'll need and how to fight safely, as well as how to fight well.

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 pm

but where i live is ages away from the reenactment societies...

Mine and my friends parents wont take us that far frequently to train.
We are going to be wearing helmets, and have shields. i was thinking of padding under the chainmail

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:14 pm

SCA in the UK: http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/Regnum/uk.php
You're on your own for other groups, I don't even know which ones exist in Europe.

Make sure your helms have adequate face protection.
Don't think of the shield as armor. You will still be hit in the body, so you'll still need protection there. Even your shield arm is vulnerable if you move wrong.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what you'll need for armor because I don't know exactly how you'll be fighting. Here are the SCA rules for armored combat http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/handbook/armoredcombat/mk_marshal_Armored_combat_HB_ver9.pdf
Use them as a guideline if you can't get someone who knows to help you out.
If nothing else, at least wear a good thick gambeson with sleeves.

Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:21 pm

you need a basket hilt. it will protect your fingers and most of your hand. if your using a 2 handed sword then u will need a set of gauntlets. u said u have a shield so i assume your using a 1 handed sword. i also fight in the SCA and you dont get to fight without proper safety gear. ebay and most armories online have basket hilts for a reasonable price or you can make one if u know a little about welding.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:08 am

I made a pair of gloves for SCA heavy weapons combat. They are hockey gloves coated with 5/16" id 14 gauge galvy. These provide ample protection to use without basket hilts, but they are very heavy. I found it was too much weight to use with 1-hand weapons. They usable with 2-hand swords and polearms, and I liked them with spears.

I have plans to make a second pair of gloves for use with 1-hand weapons with basket hilts, but I don't know when I'll start them. I will use welding gloves coated with aluminum, either 3/16" id 17 gauge or 1/4" id 15 gauge. I prefer the look of the 17 gauge, but I am not sure if it will be strong enough. With either size wire the weight will not be an issue. I will put plates between the mail and gloves and closed cell foam inside the gloves to protect my wrists.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
-Ronald Reagan

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:28 pm

Try reading Brian Price's Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction. It has a really good tutorial on how to make authentic 14th century gauntlets plus many other useful things that would interest anyone who wants to build armor.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Are you doing rattan swords or live steel? For armor standards for rattan, read the SCA marshall's handbook online, for live steel read armor standards for one of those groups, like adrian empire. If you're just hitting a dummy and not facing another person gloves are fine, otherwise you'll need much more than chainmaille, you need hard protection like boiled leather or plate at all your joints, and you need a helm, and kidney protection, and neck armor (gorget), and of course a cup.

Half gauntlet plus cup hilt or basket hilt on the sword, full gauntle if without.

Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:30 pm

this is only to deflet off oak swords..
I found a nice pair of 14" gauntlets im going to get ..
leather tan colour

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:47 pm

I know lots of re-enactors and most of them use that type of thing. My gloves look very much like those and I fight with a Viking short sword made from hand forged steel but blunt. I think they will do the job just fine. However even with gloves like those you could still get damaged hands (I have a broken little finger from a sword blow while wearing gloves like those), it's just something that happens!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 pm

https://jelldragon.com/products/thick-leather-gauntlets/

These are expertly made for protecting your hands, even against live steel (blunted) weapons.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1