Super easy question on 4:1 snakeweave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Super easy question on 4:1 snakeweave
Posted on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Oy! A crisis! Only my third project. Want to step up a little bit, but not frustrating. So Slight variant on my plain 4:1 European.

l'm on Ringlord ordering rings now. (First project was Home Depot scratch, not doing that again (plus tendonitis now)

(project: same size bracer main black stainless 14ga
5/16". Snakeweave with yellow anodized aluminum)
Was suggested 16ga 1/4"
I really want to go smaller so it's more blackened
stainless with thinner lines of yellow.
1/4 is one below main 5/16.
Next down is 7/32"
One more is 3/16" - what I'm looking at.
At 16ga 3/16" do you think I CAN weave into 14ga
5/16"?

Submissions: 1

Re: Super easy question on 4:1 snakeweave
Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

rotfiend wrote:
(project: same size bracer main black stainless 14ga
5/16". Snakeweave with yellow anodized aluminum)
Was suggested 16ga 1/4"
I really want to go smaller so . . . 3/16" - what I'm looking at.
At 16ga 3/16" do you think I CAN weave into 14ga
5/16"?

This is an AR, or ring Aspect Ratio, question. What you'd want to know is what AR is the smallest AR you can make Snakeweave in.

Very first thing is find the wire diameters in your project -- gauge numbers are an okay conversational shorthand, but they do not help you calculate AR so never mind thinking in gauge at all. What's wanted is your measured wire diameters.

Stainless wire often doesn't even mention its gauge, but being a steel wire, it will use Steel Wire Gauge if it even mentions gauge. Your larger links would be in wire of .080ยจ diameter, and your smaller links are in .063" wire. Just on the basis of that, the .063" wire can get four links into another link of ID 5/16". But the tricky part comes with trying to put more than one .080" wire from the larger links into the 3/16" ones.

AR = link ID divided by wire diameter, to about one significant figure -- ID/wd. When you're getting really close to minimums, it may be good to use calipers and measure your links' ID because it may be slightly larger than the nominal ID, which is the D of the mandrel the links were coiled around. It might be *just* enough. OTOH, time to seek a more favorable AR, say by using smaller diameter wire yet for your small links, something close on to .048"-.050".

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1