Intersting Galvy Coloration
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Intersting Galvy Coloration
Posted on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

What's up M.A.I.L.

So quite awhile ago I was messing with my galvy wire and trying to change coloration and such by using acid and messing with the oxidization and such. (Using the proper safety precautions)

In the pictures you can see a lump of hauberk and Elfsheet belt for comparison of the natural coloration.
The one that I am curious about is the European 4 in 1 patch that is silverish and shiny. It is smooth to the touch, doesn't have the awful smell of galvy, and as you can see there isn't any oxidization and its been washed several times and its also been a couple years. I have never been able to replicate that trial run.
You can also see the Byzantine and Half Persian 3 in 1 that I tried and they just turned brown or rusted looking.
the other two random chunks of maille just turned more gray and powdery feeling when they oxidized more.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how I could have gotten the first result. I have only ever been able to get rusted and gray since then.

I think this should work for image hosting however I'm not completely sure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bsdZ5EV3zwQgUhQu7

TL;DR
How did I get galvy to change to shiny and smooth without the smell. I have never been able to replicate it. Confused

P.S. I had a much more thorough post but had to restart before I got a chance to post it so this will have to do Laughing

Submissions: 26

Posted on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have a nasty feeling your going to have to work of memory and vary process, concentrations of solvent, and timings in/out/drying etc untill you can start narrowing this down.

Fortunately usually chemistry of this kind isn't a lights on lights off thing. so you should be able to feel your way towards a solution. Do you want to talk it through?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1