Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 582

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

No no no. Please do away with the unreadable red text. Surprised

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 am

Hello, everyone,

I'm in Oklahoma and have been doing small chainmaille projects for about a year. I've made a couple of lanyards using a loose orbital on one, and a loose byzantine on the other. I was pretty pleased with those. I've also tried several different weaves on bracelets, and a couple of anklets that my lady really enjoys wearing. I've also made several "favors" for my rennfaire family.

My current piece is a tiny sterling silver ring in a byzantine pattern, using 20awg in a 7/64" I believe.

Anyway, I'm looking to expand my skillset and make maille jewelry as an extra source of income. I look forward to reading thru the forums and picking some brains here.

Do you want ants? Because, that's how you get ants.

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello. Coif Smiley

I'm Sophie. I've been making chainmaille jewellery for a few years now and have learned a lot from this site. Only now have I decided to jump into the forums. I also do a bit of wirework occasionally.
I love everything history or fantasy related which is why I ended up making mail.

Hobbies other than jewellery related endeavours include archery, yoga, reading, gaming, etc. I'm pretty boring.

My first project is a big one.
Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm

My brother in law does SCA fighting and for his knight award im making him a scale shirt with sleeves, possibly thigh protection, and a canvas (probably) tabard with his house device on it. I'm using welded stainless steel rings and stainless steel scales from TRL. I have a number of questions but this is the main one: What pattern can i use in flexible areas like the inside of the elbow and arm pit that i can weld (so it cant be too tight) and i can also weave INTO the scales. Ive found i can build off the scale rings with a Euro 4-1 seamlessly but I do want a more aesthetic option for the visible areas. Mainly the elbows and armpits.

Since it is scale my attention was immediately drawn to the dragon scale weave but i dont know if i can seamlessly transition from the scale pattern to the dragon scale sheet.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi and welcome to all the new people!

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 am

hey all,
im in Montana and just starting to figure out how to do some more complex weaves than European 4 in 1. im open to learning anything and am just excited to figure this out. i would eventually like to make a full vest, but for now im working on some smaller projects. looking forward to some bigger projects.

Greetings Fellow Weavers
Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Hello, all.

I have been checking out this site for information about the various weaves and projects I can do. I am hoping to find more info as a member by getting to ask questions and upload pictures of some of my handiwork.

I have only been chainmailing (is that a word? lol) since the start of 2018.

Oh, Sidenote: I enjoy reading the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi folks!

I just finally got into doing chain mail (or is the preferred usage 'maille' here?) recently. (My wife is thinking of doing a small shadowbox with my first ever piece of European 4-in-1. *laugh*)

I've been playing with the various weaves and looking at Instructables for some ideas, but I started noticing M.A.I.L. in a lot of references, so I thought I'd come over and check it out. After reading a bit as a lurker, I decided it was time to come in and join up!

I'm willing to learn whatever people are willing to teach.

Unheard of means only it's undreamed of yet; Impossible means not yet done. (Julia Ecklar)

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:18 am

Welcome, Kinsfire! "Maille" is much used here. It and the related personal common noun "mailler" are in common use on "mailling" sites. I don't greatly care for so half-English-half-French completely-neither spelling, deeming it affected, but the spelling does help with googling and avoiding everybody offering you padded manila envelopes. Sure, you could put mail in a mailer. . .

You see our Library section has dozens of articles, mostly useful, some rather iffy. The one article I submitted lo these many years back has an iffy-blotch on it regarding the torso fit of a shirt. I was younger when I did it, and now recommend finding Butted Mail: A Mailmakers' Guide. But I'd like to think that nonetheless it makes more authentic shirts than the now ancient Bladeturner pattern, also known as Colluphid and Area 51 patterns. Check with us about anything on Instructables that is about a mail shirt or other armour pieces. Might work in armored wear; might not.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 pm

I have been making beaded and wire-wrapped jewelry for about a year, but I stayed away from chain maille because I don't have the steadiest hands in the world, and I have pain in my joints. Then I decided to go for it anyway. What was the worst that would happen, besides having a ton of extra jump rings? I started with a byzantine bracelet, made the matching necklace, and have since made shaggy loops earrings, mobius knots for earrings, and a helms weave bracelet.

I am hooked, obsessed, absolutely love it. Smile I have to take a break sometimes because holding and using the pliers so long starts to hurt my hands, but I plan to continue learning new weaves and having fun while I can.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:46 pm

tallymh wrote:
I started with a byzantine bracelet, made the matching necklace, and have since made shaggy loops earrings, mobius knots for earrings, and a helms weave bracelet.

Welcome! I'd love to see your work - please consider uploading pics to the gallery!

Submissions: 28

Re: My first project is a big one.
Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 am

Gailson wrote:
Since it is scale my attention was immediately drawn to the dragon scale weave but i dont know if i can seamlessly transition from the scale pattern to the dragon scale sheet.

An interesting way to think about scales is that they are just more oddly shaped rings that can't be opened. With dragonscale, just think about which rings you can replace with scales easily.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 am

Hi, I've started my adventures with the chains and it's an art of which I am very passionate

hiiii
Posted on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:04 pm

im beau im a fire performer from reno nveen spinning fire for 9 yrs i also breath fire. i juggle as well. im a jack of all trades im also a carny. ive always loved making jewlery mostly doing wire wrapping on stones, but i just found maille and i love it

pyromaniac

Hello everyone
Posted on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:31 am

Hello everyone! Newbie here. Just started working with chainmaille to make jewelry. Well actually I'm waiting for my rings and tools to arrive. Any tips and tricks for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Wylie

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 10. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next