Cast Iron Scrubber
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Cast Iron Scrubber
Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

My sister ask if I could make a scrubber for her cast iron cookware. Does anyone know if there is any reason to use saw cut rings over machine cut? I don't want to be removing the seasoning from the cookware.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 am

Using round wire rather than flattened links would be more important. It should be less aggressive against the seasoning than a comparable steel wool scrubber, which can with some time and effort go right through seasoning to the metal -- calling for a wipe of oil and a bit of heating to reseason that spot. Cast-iron patina is not horribly difficult to maintain; if I get trouble on such a pan it's usually the other way -- too much gunk cooked on, and needing an aggressive scour to smooth things out.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

Just watch your closures, I usually make mine as little pouches/pockets larger enough for a cheep cellulose sponge.
There are a few different shapes available commercially.
I'm not sure if there is any difference in proformance.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 am

I have actually seen them in museums where they are just a 4x4 patch of European 4 in 1 and that is all. Not sure what you are thinking about making, but they have been used for quite a while.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!

MusicMan that's one of the reasons I brought it up to her, and the fact it gives me one more thing to go make... Rolling Eyes

Submissions: 32

Posted on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:59 am

I have an antique mail scrubber in my arsenal of dish washing doodads... an interesting detail about the antique one is that it is made of split rings rather than butted. ID looks to be about 5/8".

The antique one also would have originally had a wooden handle, which would make it more effective than pushing it around by hand... but it works pretty well if I use a dish washing brush to push it around - I find that the two of those employed in such a way (with a little soap and water too) are far more effective than either implement on its own. Its the best thing I have for scrubbing really nasty burned on crusty bits of crud.

I've also made a few scrubbers using round butted rings and other bits of maille-able stuff, but they did not work nearly as well... but at least they double as neat sculptures... or maybe I made sculpture that also tried to be a mediocre pot scrubber?

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 am

I can't handle mail scrubber well for cleaning. Any advice?

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 am

Bunch it up so it's like you're holding a stainless steel scrubber.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1