Captive Ring/Orbital Ring definition inconsistency
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle
   
Author Message

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 744
Submissions: 19

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It’s O/C i find a bit inclusive. I believe that depends on that they depend on umdefined concepts (planet and cage).

My gripe with classing helm as captive instead of orbital is the biggest; If you elements holding rings in place, they are going to fall.

A classical orbital, orbit a single NE/TE connection. If we were to subsitute the interaction with a bolt instead of a direct connection, does the interaction between the central weave and the orbit change? In My eyes, it does not. (I’d argue that a small enough moon connection is indistinguishable from a direct connection. Might require heavy NSR use.)

With that logic, the captors at the end of orbit, serve the same purpouse as ”planet rings”. In the same vein, the rings holding helm non-connected rings are the small ones, and If you flip a small segment of helm, the non-connected rings are in all ways external, and in My understanding of topology and knot theory, they are always external.

The final thing about captive vs orbital i want to bring up; a captive ring can be lost, topologically, much easier than an orbital. A captive, If you lower the OD, could fall out. To make an orbital ring fall of, you need to expand the ID.

Oh.

Writing This out makes me se Why helm could be captive. If we view My last paragraph with inverse definitions to mine, Both orbit and captive become fully legitimare views.

I almost lost My train of thought, but another note, what about ”reinforce”?
R is easily integrated with symbiont, and closely relates to C/O. (Case example; RIR)

RIR sheets in the same way as CIR, but is neither captive or orbital. However, the R rings ”orbit” the ”inner plexa” of converging rings, and are ”encaged” by the Chains external perimeter.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:59 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Anybody have any other thoughts on how to define these issues? If not, I will start a new post in the Weave and Article forums to get the community's larger input.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 744
Submissions: 19

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have nothing more to add at This moment, in This topic.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

These are the definitions I will than post in the Weave and Article forums to get as much exposure as possible.

Orbital Ring: A ring whose sole structural interaction is held in place by planet ring(s) which the orbital ring passes around while never passing through.
Example:Orbital

Captive Ring: A ring whose sole structural interaction is held in place by either cage ring(s), that the captive ring neither pass around nor through, or sandwich rings, which involve both an orbital interaction as well as one or more captive interactions.
Example of Cage:Captive Inverted Round
Example of Sandwich: Helm

Symbiont Rings: where the captive/orbital behavior involves the interaction of two (or more) independent weaves.
Example:Interlock

**Please tell me if there are any changes you want me to make in wording before I post it to the other forums. I am going to try for later this week or early next.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: June 20, 2012
Posts: 330
Submissions: 22
Location: France

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Shouldn't "Symbiont Rings" be "Symbiont Weaves" instead?

Beside that, it sounds good to me.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Shirluban wrote:
Shouldn't "Symbiont Rings" be "Symbiont Weaves" instead?


Good question. . .I will have to let Narrina comment on that because it is her definition that I am just trying to put words to.

I can see your point, but as I understand it we are looking at how the rings interplay with each other as the two weaves interact. I could be wrong.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 744
Submissions: 19

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I still disagree, but I believe I Will have to post in the next topic.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
I still disagree, but I believe I Will have to post in the next topic.


And that is why I am hoping that Narrina will be able to say something on the topic. Because I assume that you are talking about the Symbiont that you disagree with or is it just me in general?


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 744
Submissions: 19

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

MusicMan wrote:
Karpeth wrote:
I still disagree, but I believe I Will have to post in the next topic.


And that is why I am hoping that Narrina will be able to say something on the topic. Because I assume that you are talking about the Symbiont that you disagree with or is it just me in general?


Actually, it’s mostly the captive part.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
Actually, it’s mostly the captive part.


If we can keep it simple how would you like to change it? I would be much easier for us to get it down here before presenting it to the community and than have a discussion that muddies the waters.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:58 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth - In regards to your definitions on page 2 I understand the idea, but I do not like that the Orbital and Captive definitions are exactly the same except for one word. I think that this would be confusing to people who are trying to understand the difference.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 744
Submissions: 19

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It was worded that way, just to get My definition down.

I have no qualms with rewording any of My 3/4 definitions, as long as the meaning stats intact.

The reason I stans by mine, is that I believe they better encompass what we mean, when we use the terms today.

This would however make Definitely Not Beer a symbiont; meaning I’d like to change the name of that new tag.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: April 02, 2008
Posts: 2266
Submissions: 42
Location: Lincoln, NE

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am finally posting a new Thread in the Weaves Discussion Forum to get the communities thoughts.


Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
All times are GMT. The time now is Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle
Display posts from previous: