New to CM
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

New to CM
Posted on Wed May 27, 2015 10:51 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Chain maille has just made its intro into my life and it couldn't have been better timing. Just started practicing w/ 16g 5/16 stainless and blackened stainless in order to see what the project I have invisioned will be like to work on and I am psyched. But my god it is more expensive than I had thought....right up there with fly fishing.

Health and happiness to ya all from The Florida Keys Euro 4 in 1
[b]Mat[\b]

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu May 28, 2015 1:05 am

it is a bit of a money sink. Smile I hope your project goes well. welcome to the group.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:31 pm

I agree. I bought a batch of stainless steel rings to make a shirt, but now I don't know if I want to buy anymore. It would literally cost less to just buy a stainless steel shirt.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Sourcing is an issue. I have seen a marked decline in the quality of links in recent years and an upsurge in the cost per 100 or per 1000. Metals are getting increasingly difficult to source, which seems odd considering drawing wire is not the most technologically difficult thing to do.

I have a few friends whom love quality as much as I do and we are considering self manufacture. I'm quite sure I can under cut most suppliers out there. (I have another job so I can sell near "at cost" without worrying about the mortgage). Lack of time however is more of a factor.

It is getting silly, as soon as it becomes ridiculous I may consider it. Sure I could buy chainmaille but (not blowing my own trumpet or anything as it applies to most people here) few people can make chain the way I do.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:55 pm

you can definitely buy a quality chain shirt for less than the effort of making one, personally i just like making maille, wearing maille is fun but making maille keeps me sane.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm

I've always made my own rings; when I started, I had no clue how to go about getting rings (pretty much everyone I spoke with thought making a hauberk was impossible this day and age!), and by the time I'd finished my first few pieces I was so used to making my own that I never considered buying anything. $15 for a coil of solid aluminum welding wire, plus $20 for transfer punches from Harbor Freight (per suggestions from this site), has produced holiday gifts for most of my female relatives for years. Very Happy

Of course, I'm in the camp of "making it is the fun part". I have more jewelry sitting around than most jewelry stores, because I need downtime to regenerate and can't sit still, so I make maille. So for me, the time sink of making rings isn't really a factor; I'm just doing something to keep my hands busy while my mind ticks away anyway, so tripling the time to complete a project isn't a relevant consideration. Obviously your mileage may vary.

I don't think the issue is on the "supply" side, but on the "demand" side. When the economy tanked a lot of folks started snatching up metals for re-sale (recycling and the like), and a lot has gone into war efforts in the USA and Europe (bombs contain metal).

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:52 am

For some, weaving rings is fun. For other's... not so much. In general, when you buy a shirt instead of weaving it yourself, you get what you pay for. I enjoyed the learning process as I went deeper into chainmaille. I'm still IN the learning process. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1