Is this too gaudy?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 19

Is this too gaudy?
Posted on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

NOTE: I'm not posting this in gallery discussion because the pics I'm providing are only a prototype and I don't intend on submitting it to the gallery until I'm finished.

Some of you might remember a thread I started about a year ago regarding this project. The basic premise is: make a curb chain out of micromaille to use as a necklace for a star sapphire pendant. Here are two pics of what I'll call a working prototype.

The chain isn't finished (2/3rds done) and neither the cab wrapping or the ring attaching it to the chain are firmly attached - like I said, prototype. It's probably worth mentioning that the stone is most likely heavily treated and was not terribly expensive. It's 10x8mm...so the whole pendant including the cab wrap isn't much bigger than one's fingernail.

Here's my question: Is this pendant too gaudy? I'm not intending to sell this piece; it's going to be a gift for my girlfriend. I know she's going to love it (I've kept my mailling a secret), but I want to make her something that she'll be able to wear in situations ranging from church to formal dress. The thing I'm worried about is that from a distance, the cab wrapping might look like tiny diamonds. She's not a "fancy jewelry or bust" kind of girl, but I figure I might as well make something nice for her. Hence the dilemma. The other option I have is to use a bezel setting, like in this stock photo: http://www.atthebench.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/title_bezel_set_oval_amethyst.jpg

The second option is a bit more conservative and doesn't really show off the "i made this out of chainmail" factor (because the necklace chain is so small that it's not immediately apparent that it's made out of rings). Being a male, I'm not 100% which approach is more tasteful.

Also, I'm sharing this project because I've worked really hard on it and I would appreciate any feedback! Here's some specs:

The chain is jens pind linkage made from 28AWG argentium silver wire. I wrapped it around a .035" paperclip. Rolling Eyes I used Xuron microshear cutters to make score-and-break cuts. It's remarkably smooth to the touch!

The cab wrap is forars kaede made with26AWG argentium silver wire....and I actually can't remember the ID. I made this part a while ago. I'm probably going to redo this part, because in retrospect the closures are pretty awful and I don't think I had realized I could use score and break at the time that I made it.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:45 am

i like it but as i am also being male what do i know

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:57 am

ok.. being a chick, I don't think it's too gaudy. It looks nice. The only thing that doesn't do so much for me is that bail seems a little large (it grabs my attention nearly as much as the stone). The mail sparkling like losts of little diamonds is always good in my book. However, if that doesn't float her boat so much, why not antique the rings a bit (depending on what metal they are)?

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 pm

I agree with magicmonster.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm sure your question was already answered sufficiently for your purposes but I wanted to tell you that this is stunningly beautiful. I'm a "plan Jane" girl myself when it comes to jewelry. If this is as small as you say it is, I can't see the rings making too much sparkle. I'll bet she swooned when you gave it to her. Lucky girl. I have to make my own. Laughing

Shadokat
Please forgive blatant newbie ignorance; I hope to grow out of it soon.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 pm

There is no such thing as too gaudy when it comes to chainmaille. That, is far from gaudy, it is knocking firmly on the door of à la mode.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Lucky woman, I say

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:01 am

Wot they sed. This is fine, in several senses. Go with it.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 42

Posted on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:01 pm

I would agree with everybody else, it looks just perfect. Nice Job. I can't wait for the truly finished product.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:24 am

Finally remembered to ask the wife while she was around. If the cab was 2x3cm then it would be to big and gaudy but given it's tiny size it seems perfect.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:35 am

I don't think that it looks too gaudy. It's small enough that it won't appear to be too ostentatious. Looks great!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1