Air Travel
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 42

Air Travel
Posted on Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Anybody traveled with their mailling supplies lately using the major airline carriers? I am going to be traveling this summer and I am wondering if there have been any major changes lately that I should be aware of.

Thanks

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 am

Save yourself some serious bother. Mail (USPS) your supplies to yourself at your destination address. TSA tends to confiscate anything metalic that they don't understand and that means almost everything even possibly mail related.

weldedchainmail.com

Submissions: 9

Posted on Fri May 22, 2015 2:42 am

I had a ridiculous amount of rings and tools in my checked luggage on three overseas trips to the UK in the last year, on Icelandair, Air Transat and Flybe.

I had no problems on any of them, though at one smaller Scottish airport they had to open my checked bag because the X-ray machine couldn't see through all the metal...

Mailing the supplies ahead is a smart idea

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri May 22, 2015 4:25 am

Checked luggage is rarely a problem. It's when you want to get on the plane with carry-on that they go all bat-guano-crazy on you...

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 pm

I fly from Chicago to Denver a couple of times per year, and a lot seems to depend on the airport. Chicago Midway rarely has any issues with my mailling supplies. Denver International finds something nearly every time I fly, though only once was it mailling supplies. For those wondering, my recent security issues include suntan lotion (forgot about it after snowboarding), juggling beanbags, and computer (Midway security no longer required computers to be removed from bags, and Denver security no longer had signage up to remove computers from bags).

While I have no issue bringing rings or pliers with me, I avoid bringing scales. The one time I did, there were lots of questions at Midway, and a higher-up got involved, but eventually I was let them through with them. If Midway was that leery about them, I figured that Denver would be giving me a body cavity search if I tried heading home with them on carry-on. At least I got a decent patch of scales put together during the flight out.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Posted on Sun May 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for all the great replies. It gives me something to think about. I am going to have to take some thinks to my sisters steampunk wedding so this information will be very helpful.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu May 28, 2015 1:16 am

I once had a coil of wire, some pliers and cutters, and a box of chocolate coming home from some field work (ie, being out in a desert for a month looking for mammoth bones Very Happy ). The chocolate was for my wife. Unfortunately, it is apparently close enough to explosives that TSA became VERY curious. When they saw the bag of ear rings, bracelets, etc. in my backpack, and opened the box of chocolates, they laughed about it, but it was a good thing I was pretty early.

Checked luggage isn't a problem with me, with one exception. The one time I brought my armor with me, it was opened and checked. Nothing major, I didn't even know about it except that there was a "We opened this" tag, just a heads-up not to keep anything you don't want gone through in the same bag as armor when you fly.

Posted on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:11 pm

I have gotten through security (Delta Airlines going out of Detroit, and coming back from Ft. Lauderdale) with pliers and rings in my backpack, as long as pliers are less than 7 inches..they are ok...That said I ALWAYS keep a printed copy of the TSA guidelines with me in case you get an agent on a power trip being a pain in the a**

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:25 pm

That's sound advice. Gauge the adversity before suffering it!

Going through the US, expect all your stuff to get turned out and put in a plastic baggie. That's a real pain when you have about 5 different sizes/material types in your bag.

Carry on? FORGET IT. Unless you like long delays and a visit from Dr Digit. Don't antagonise the nice man in the suit or the short Chinese soldier with the fully automatic. They can make your day dark indeed if you give them a reason to!

Posted on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Took my trip and sent all tools and supplies by post to the destination but on the way back put it in my checked baggage. No problems. thanks for your help and great suggestions.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Just to add an anecdote:

Back in summer 2013, I took my gear (incl 5 different pairs of pliers, 2 different types of cutters, various rings, various spools of wire, assorted mandrels, and a few other odds and ends, all in a metal case) as carry-on on 4 different flights within the US, international flights to and from Japan, and 4 flights within Japan with nary a problem.

I guess it's just always different.

Submissions: 43

Posted on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:23 pm

I've had no problems with domestic airlines in sweden, nor flying to iceland with icelandair.

The metal scanner that beeps when you walk through became activated on the return trip, and I said "I'm pierced". No questions or further investigations. not even a scan--down.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1