Spam from articles@
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 45

Spam from articles@
Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'd estimate that about 80-90% of the spam that I get in my personal gmail account comes from emails sent to the "articles" account on MAIL. At the moment, it also looks like somebody has signed the account up for CNN daily news updates. I'd click on the unsubscribe link, but the link is sketchy enough to make me not want to click on it (although I realize most of these places handle automailing through separate sites).

Any ideas on ways to cut down from the spam from the accounts here?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 20

Re: Spam from articles@
Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Drax wrote:
I'd estimate that about 80-90% of the spam that I get in my personal gmail account comes from emails sent to the "articles" account on MAIL. At the moment, it also looks like somebody has signed the account up for CNN daily news updates. I'd click on the unsubscribe link, but the link is sketchy enough to make me not want to click on it (although I realize most of these places handle automailing through separate sites).

Any ideas on ways to cut down from the spam from the accounts here?

I get a significant amount of spam through the development @ address as well...
Since they are publically published email address, spam is sort of a "to be expected", unfortunately... And since the articles/weaves/gallery email addresses are direct forwarders, SpamAssassin won't function either...

I'm not sure what to tell you... Since I don't use GMail, please enlighten me, does it allow you to set up "Rules"?
If so, it might be worth your while to just set up a Rule to: "Email sent TO articles CONTAINING 'CNN' MOVE TO Junk"

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for the info, DL, that's sort of what I figured about the cause (the 'public' aspect of the email addresses).

It's technically not a problem, gmail automatically puts the emails in a "spam" folder, so I don't have to do anything. It has just become really obvious in the last week that most of the emails in there are coming from the articles@ address!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1