Where do you get your inspiration from?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi,

I am shaco and new to the forum here. I've signed up because I am short of ideas for new jewellery. I am not a pro and I have so far mainly followed other people's ideas with it. So I'd like to know about further sources of inspiration...desingers, movies, or whatever...

blink blink

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

I tend to propose NOT rebuilding other people's designs, but to get a solid basic WEAVE knowledge, and add new ones to my portfolio, whenever I can. And usually when doing that, ideas begin to flow, what DESIGNS can be made with - independently from other people's designs. That some designs are inevitable, and virtually identical from mailler to mailler, isn't important - important is, that you find them on your own.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm

I am inspired by things I find on this site Smile

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon May 13, 2013 8:12 pm

lack of inspiration isn't so much of a stumbling block as lack of motivation. most projects require more than a few repetitions to become complete. If you really want to do something "inspired" you might try something more along he lines of a sculpture.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm

I honestly get inspired by looking at different weaves. I try to imagine what they could turn into or how I would do it differently. I sometimes start a small piece in a colour combo, and deside it would look better done another way. I find laying out the rings with the beads or whatever you want to include helpfull too.

Submissions: 97

Posted on Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm

ZiLi wrote:
I tend to propose NOT rebuilding other people's designs, but to get a solid basic WEAVE knowledge, and add new ones to my portfolio, whenever I can. And usually when doing that, ideas begin to flow, what DESIGNS can be made with - independently from other people's designs. That some designs are inevitable, and virtually identical from mailler to mailler, isn't important - important is, that you find them on your own.

-ZiLi-

I agree with this completely.

I often get stylistic inspiration from history.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 am

Where do I get my inspiration? Lots of different places.

Note that I'm very much a mixed media jewellery maker: beads, crochet, macrame, wirework, and maille can all play a part.

First of all, there are the technical experiments; pieces where I try out a new technique or a new weave. These tend to be simpler, because the important part is to try out the technique. Doesn't mean that I don't apply design to it, but the question I am answering is "how can I make something nice using this technique?" That isn't to say that I don't try out new techniques/weaves with other pieces, but with the "technical experiment" pieces, the technique is the focus.

One of my favourite bead books is "The Complete Book of Beads" by Janet Coles & Robert Budwig, because, unlike all the others I had come across before, it doesn't just focus on technique or patterns, but on design, and it has many pages of lovely pictures of beads in different ways together, colours, textures, styles. Definitely inspirational. But inspirational for beads.

Yes, there is a certain amount of "look at what other people have done" - googling images, looking at what is in the shops, etc - but I'd never want to reproduce someone else's design exactly, that would be boring. It's more along the lines of seeing what is possible, what kind of things work.

Of late, I've become interested in making jewellery which is symbolic, which has an underlying meaning, usually something fannish.

The idea is to make something which is both a pretty piece of jewellery, and which means something, where the meaning isn't necessarily obvious to those not in the know. It's challenging, but the very limitations of the concept help with the focus and design.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 582

Posted on Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

I like ZiLi's advice.

To add to it a bit:

Once you learn a weave, there are still other things to do with it to refine its aesthetic. Try weaving it with different metal types. Try different ring sizes, and try graduating the weave. Try weaving it on a bias (if possible), etc. Learning the weave is one thing, but finding its full potential is a whole other matter.

There are over 1200 weaves in the M.A.I.L. database. Once you sift through all the slop and rule out the garbage in there, there is still enough inspiration to last for years.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi there,
thanks for the feedback! I'll try to improve on these foundations. Probably learning is a good way of getting new ideas. Very Happy In fact the reason why I started the weaving hobby was because of a the Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe starring the main role. Luckily I found one of the posters online and it's now at my wall showing the armour. I found the accessories and the props fascinating in this one.

blink blink

Posted on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I get inspiration from anything. I look at something and try and figure out how I would make it. What patterns would I need.For example, If I want to make a jewelry box out of mail, I would use voodoo seemed together with 3/4 persian. Just start imagining everything as maille. Keep copying other peoples work. then alter it. doesn't matter how. try anything. some things will work, others won't. the easiest way by far to put your personal stamp on something is to do a basic pattern with an inlay. Inlays allow something as simple as euro 4-1 to be a unique piece of work reflecting your own artistic tastes

Always question what you know before you question what other people know. So you know some facts huh? where'd you get them facts from? Facts come from people and people lie. Can you prove what you know?I find it's best to speak from personal experience and never quote fox news.

Posted on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 pm

It's kind of lame, but I first got the idea to start making chain mail from a video game called "Skyrim". I thought to myself, why the hell am I sitting here on my couch making all manner of armour and weapons in a video game when I could be out in the back yard/ shed making it for real. So that's what inspired me to start anyway.

I'm still kind of new at this and am pacing myself through the basics, but I can see why copying others' work (copying, not claiming as your own) would really be a good way to go. Imagine getting halfway through a project and then thinking "now, if I do this that way and that this way, boom. You've learnt something new and could theoretically take it any direction you want.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyway. Hope it helps =D

"It seems like most things can be fixed by using enough hammer."

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Some of this is restatement of other people's comments.

Simple jewelry is merely a segment of chain with a clasp on either end, or an earring finding on one end. Towards that end, make samples of various weaves in smaller gauge wire (preferably not galvanized steel) and clip some findings on them. Vary materials, colors, and ring sizes to give different looks to the weaves.

Get some beads. Seed beads are fairly cheap and come in pretty good quantities in most craft stores or craft departments. I like 6/0 size, they go pretty good strung on some of TRL's 20g rings. You can either find beads that fit on rings, or you can use some wire and make single or multiple bead elements that have a loop in either end.

Some people are very protective of even their simplest designs. I would hope that most of the people who have submitted items to the gallery here have done so with the purpose of inspiration, but be very careful about outright copying.

Honestly, I haven't done a lot of jewelry. Well, nothing that's much more than just a length of chain with a clasp on the end, anyway. I'm working on playing around with some smaller stuff. My fiancee has gotten a couple or 3 pairs of earrings over the past couple of years. I've got some coworkers that are encouraging me. One's basically an earringaholic, so it's fun to get her opinion on things. Earrings are generally quick and easy to do with smaller amounts of materials.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:21 am

Dunno really, I just look at things and think to myself, hmm, that would be cool to design. And I run with it from there. Granted, haven't really done much maille lately, perhaps a few box-weave chains here and there, but I guess the same thing about inspiration applies with other crafts and stuff.

_________

Being from the third world, BMR claims the right to speak in the third person.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:56 pm

I fold up spiderwebs a lot. Banana spiders have yellow silk that's really easy to see.

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:26 am

how does that work exactly, do the bananas just fall into their webs ? Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next