Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all, my name is Suzanne (which you can shorten to Suus), I just turned 29 and have been making bracelets from chain mail since last october. I went to a fair in october where i first came into contact with it. Since then i've only done the euro 4-1 and now think it is time to widen my "chain mail horizon"!

I came upon this website in a book I bought and I immediately went to check it out. So, here I am!

Posted on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am

Good day all.

My name is Mike, and I have been looking at making maille for....about 8 days now. Over the weekend I got some supplies from a friend who used to make maille jewelry.

I first tried E4-1...failing miserably. I now think my AR was too large for me to work with it, knowing nothing about the actual technique of weaving maille (do I hold it? Do I keep it on the table?) Watching a youtube video or two cured that.

I then wove about 1 cm of box chain...about 1 cm of roundmaille, and then dove in to make my wife a half-persian 4-1 bracelet, which came out spectacularly well.

Next project was my own full persian 6-1 bracelet, which also came out well.

So yeah, now with the early successes, I'm hooked. I think I have well over 100 pages (be they articles, gallery submissions, or weaves) favorited on this site. I'll be around.

The articles here have been immensely helpful. I'm really glad to see this kind of community exist for the art of maille. Keep it up everyone!

-Lucidish

Closing rings since 2013-07-27

A jack of all trades, master of none, often times better than a master of one.

Maille Code V2.0 T4.2 R4.1 En.o Fper MFe.s W$ C$ G0.8-2.0 I3.2-9.5 N8.8 Pjt Djt X0 S13 Hn

Submissions: 61

Posted on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Lucidish wrote:
I first tried E4-1...failing miserably. I now think my AR was too large for me to work with it, knowing nothing about the actual technique of weaving maille (do I hold it? Do I keep it on the table?) Watching a youtube video or two cured that.

Yeah, sometimes one just has to see it being done, before one can figure out how to do it oneself.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 45

Welcome
Posted on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:07 am

Good to have both of you. Coif LoL

Always remember: A sucking chest wound is the Lord's way of telling you to slow down.

Newbie Here
Posted on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Very Happy
Just to introduce myself before I go poking around. My name is Michelle but you can call me blue. I live in Toronto Ontario and I starting off with beads and grew tired. Then browsing around for something new to keep these hands busy I found a chain maille jewelry kit to make a necklace. Then I became obsessed with it. I have jump rings of different sizes all over the house in boxes. Constantly looking for ways to make it more interesting. I've started selling my creations just so I have a reason to make more. Here I am to learn tips and the such.

To know where you want to go you have to take the wheel and drive...with determination! ~Me

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 am

Greetings all

My name is Katrina Wolffe. I live in Portland, Oregon. I am a 46 yr old artisan who is disabled due to chronic pain issues.

I have been making chainmaille since the late 90’s. I am self taught, though I do get my weaving patterns from several sources, and I take great pride in turning out a quality product at an affordable price. This means that although I keep my prices low, I do not sacrifice quality workmanship.

Due to my pain issues, my production rate varies from day to day. On a good day I can place and close about 200 rings/hr., or 1000 rings/day.

I make my own bright aluminum and stainless steel rings, and I buy my color rings from The Ring Lord web page.

I started my Etsy shop because many people who saw my work said that I should sell it. I have a couple of game stores here in Portland that I sell my dice bags to on a regular basis. I also do custom work for costuming/cosplay, make armor for SCA members, and have done repairs on vintage and modern chainmaille pieces.

I have made everything from dice bags and jewelry to game boards, balls and even a tailcoat with working buttons and buttonholes!

I know several patterns of both flat cloth type, like European 4 in 1, to thicker patterns like Byzantine and Persian weaves. I am always willing to learn new weaves, and experiment with fun things I can do with them.

My Etsy shop can be found here
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KittensoftChainmail

My Photobucket Gallery is here
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Kittensoft_Chainmail/library

Katrina Wolffe
Owner/Artisan
Kittensoft Chainmail

"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"
-Arthur Bach

Posted on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello everyone!

I am a teacher in Pennsylvania who specializes in Reading so I naturally gravitate towards interesting books. A few months back I was browsing a local yard sale for new reading material when I stumbled across an informational booklet about chainmaille jewelry. Well I was hooked so I picked it up and brought it home to place in my library where it sat until about a month ago.

For the month of July I was enjoying my vacation time and I decided to try something new. After purchasing a few supplies I began my induction into the world of chainmaille. At this point I feel very confident with the basic Byzantine weave and European 4+1 which I've used to create a number of bracelets, earrings, and necklaces. My friends and family continue to support and encourage my new hobby and I am quite eager to discover more complex and interesting weaves. My goal is to reach a point where I no longer need to rely on tutorials and instruction manuals to create beautiful works of art. Hopefully, as my skills advance I might attempt larger projects such as armor or murals. At this point, however, I am content with chainmaille jewelry projects for my significant other.

...She really enjoys getting jewelry on a daily basis. Very Happy

Posted on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Hello. My name is Paul. I travel for a living, and have very recently discovered a live for weaving metal. I have so far learned the byzantine link method, but I plan to learn as much about mailing as I can cram into this little brain of mine! I love the tutorial, and I see myself learning quote a bit from here. So, in return for sharing this awesome knowledge you have collected, I will be making my first small donation to help insure this site is here for myself and everyone. Good to meet you!

Posted on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:50 am

Hi! Coif Smiley

I'm Ashley. I mostly do chain mail jewelry but never turn down a good chainmail weave.

I'd say I'm mostly a beginner, but I'm working on my way to intermediate.

Hello!
Posted on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:34 pm

I guess I should've posted here first, but I'm glad to have joined what seems to be a very awesome community here! Hope to get to know y'all better!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Nice flowers Dragon_ and welcome everybody! It seems like I go away for a month and the community grows (that may be a hint to me Razz )

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm

hi, my name is Sian, i am 32 and live in the UK. i am only just getting into chain maille, so far i can do helm weave, box weave, byzantine and butterfly chains, but am desperate to learn more.

Hello
Posted on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Just introducing myself. My name is Rose, (the username was already taken so I used one of my game names - DragonRosie, as I have just learned Dragonscale weave and have dragons on the brain). I learned chain maille many moons ago but haven't done anything since and have now gotten back into it but without a teacher, so I am searching the internet to learn more weaves and patterns. I mostly make jewelry and smaller items, for now... Smile

[/i][/code]

DragonRosie

Posted on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:19 am

Hello,
I cant believe how many interesting things I've seen and how much I have learned just browsing this website over the last hour. Its Awesome! I wish I had found it a couple of years ago.

Posted on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Hello I am a jewellery maker but a beginner to chainmaille and found this forum a while back when I was looking for some new weaves to try and am really impressed and decided to join. It is a great place to come. Hope to be able to contribute something one day when I get a LOT better. You have done some amazing work . Happy weaving.

Jump to:  
Page 52 of 90. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 88, 89, 90  Next