***Entries for Theme Contest 21 - No Metal
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 45

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Lunautumn wrote:

Icemaille Euro 4-1!

I added some food coloring to the water. It didn't completely turn out the way I'd planned, but I made a very colorful mess. Smile

The rings started out at approximately AR 5.3, but they started melting pretty quickly as I was working. The blue end of the sample is more melted than the green end.

I did find a way to close the rings, but it was an absolute pain. Melting the rings open without cracking them was hard enough.

That is awesome!

Always remember: A sucking chest wound is the Lord's way of telling you to slow down.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 am

Lunautumn wrote:
Icemaille Euro 4-1!

Ingenious!

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 am

Well done too all who entered and Good Luck Very Happy

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Lunautumn wrote:
Icemaille Euro 4-1!

I couldn't get my ice rings to work just right, too many were breaking to work nicely... then again I was working on the size approximately of an icecube so it could be used in drinks.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 61

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:00 pm

If this is too late, I understand. But just in case I can swing in under the deadline, here's a last entry.

European 4-in-1 bracelet, made with leather links. Dyed mother-of-pearl rings at the end. Magnetic clasp.

Three different types of round leather thonging made up the links: black (1mm), light brown (1mm), bronze (2mm). Yes, the bronze-coloured links are actually leather, not metal; the leather is just dyed metallic bronze. The brown and bronze were tied around a mandrel (the handle of my craft knife) to make them as uniform as I could. The knots were then glued or varnished, and the ends cut; thus those were "pre-closed" links. The black links were tied in the maille-making and not uniform in size. I'd originally intended to trim those as well, but I rather liked the "shaggy" effect, so I left them un-trimmed.

The image on the left is the front of the bracelet, the one on the right is the back, where one can see the E4 a little better.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Entries will be accepted until midnight tonight EST. So a few hours left. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
I couldn't get my ice rings to work just right, too many were breaking to work nicely... then again I was working on the size approximately of an icecube so it could be used in drinks.

I know the feeling. The ice got very brittle after I melted the ring open, if the ring even survived that process at all! I started out trying to make Euro 6-1 but most of my connectors broke, so I switched to Euro 4-1 because it put less stress on the open rings. I think I broke about 50% of my rings overall.

I used some of my prototype plain ice rings as ice cubes. It's fun to watch them melt, especially after all the frustration they caused you. Smile

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm || Last edited by Levi on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Hello All,

Sadly, I've been way too pressed for time recently but forced myself to get this together today. The rings are PVC conduit cut using a hacksaw, the blue rings have an AR around 5 and the grey ones AR is 4 to 4.4 depending on how thick I cut it.
EDIT: The black rings are large 1.15" O-rings with an AR of 4.
The blue rings are solid and grey ones got snipped vertically with my aviation shears. I did not have enough time to fuse them shut but I did make a tip for my soldering iron that looks like a small butter knife that slides between the cut edges and melts them. In testing, the grey and white (not shown) fused to a good as original strength and could still be filed/sanded to remove the lumps. Each of the blue rings was filed by hand, the grey ones would have been but again ran out of time. With some time and effort rounding the grey rings they look like metal ones.

What I did manage to pull off.

PVC maille badminton net.
Yeah, it needs to be way longer but it should last quite while. The sheet is currently 9x9 inches.

PVC J6-1 with E4-1 edges.

PVC Byzantine section.

That net could have been a bracer...
With a few expansions this would make a nice bracer.

PVC net close up.
A bit of a closer view of the piece sitting on a firebrick.

The grey rings even when cut to 1/4inch or less are quite bothersome to get open, I don't expect this to fall apart without a very good fight. If fused I'm starting to think these would out perform steel without the weight. That whole 9x9 sheet only weights 230g by the way.
The PVC pipe came from the electrical section at Home Depot at $10 or so per 8 foot pipe.

Hope you enjoy.

In the nick of time edit:
I've combined them (excluding the Byz) into a gauntlet.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 0

Tal made me do it
Posted on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 pm

This challenge has some very amazing entries Smile
I'm not a maille artist, my brother Tal is. I'm more of a beader, but when he showed me the challenge and his entry, I was reminded of something I've been meaning to make for a while. A chain made out of beaded rings. I only managed 7 rings in a simple chain, but will probably finish it to a necklace at some point. So I showed it to my brother and he told me to post it:

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 am

My entry:

A single ring of glow sticks woven into a 9 pointed star. And just for fun, a second ring of glow sticks woven into a three pointed star.

Total rings: 2
Total glow sticks: 43

Jump to:  
Page 11 of 11. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11