Buying supplies
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 16

Buying supplies
Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

If there is another topic about this, please feel free to move/merge or let me know where to go, but I didn't notice one so ...

Where is everyones fav place to buy rings and scales and such?

I am mostly making jewelry right now and only use aluminum at the moment.

I first started buying rings on Etsy and found most to be on the expensive side and not always the best quality. I found a couple of good deals on eBay, then I found a great place called Mithral Armoury (online and on Facebook). But they don't seem to sell everything I would need/want; like no scales and no other shapes and not all sizes.

I see people talk about The Ring Lord a lot, but they are in Canada, so expensive shipping for me being in the US.

So where do you buy your stuff?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I just started myself, but West Coast Chainmail did really well by me. He was very quick to send my order, the prices are really good, and he's in the US. It's his stock that got me started. Saw

Submissions: 582

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 pm

The Ring Lord.

But then, I live in Canada, despite my profile stating that I live in the land of chainmail.

Even after you factor in shipping to the US, some of their products still end up being less expensive than other competitors. This is especially true if you take advantage of their discounts.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I live in the US and I've ordered from The Ring Lord and US vendors.

The Ring Lord:

Pro:

-massive info and selection choices of jump rings and scales
-great vendor the start off of if you're starting out
-very reasonable prices which I feel balances out the shipping cost
-offers rush service

Con:

-quality for me is ok and color selections aren't too bad but I'm super picky, especially with consistancy
-certain metals require cleaning/tumbling
-order takes a good two weeks between processing and shipping..longer depending if it's not UPS. UPS is a week by itself for me.

C and T Designs:

Pro:
-lightening fast shipping...like if they could send it yesterday, they would
-based in Colorado and as a NYer, it takes like 2 days usually via First Class mail to get to me
-does custom striped niobium which no other vendor does
-very nice selection of niobium colors
-rings come clean and clearly labeled
-neighborhood mom and pop shop kind of customer service feeling
-great selection of square rings with a detailed guide on their website
-they send out a member's email once a month with either a coupon or a weave tutorial included
-probably the best pricing of all the major suppliers

Con:

-restocking seems a bit slow
-not a big color selection on anodized aluminum
-no scales and small selection of findings

Blue Buddha Boutique:

Pro:

-probably the best above and beyond customer service I've seen from any vendor. period.
-very nice color ring selections including "mix" colors in a packet
-based in Illinois and offers a rush service
-the rings are a very nice quality
-same goes for scales and they carry colors that The Ring Lord doesn't
-they offer some really great kits and instructions

Con:

-they are pricey in comparison to the first two shops I mentioned but if you look for quality above anything else in your designs, this won't be much of an issue
-their niobium sizing is a bit different from their other colored rings (I actually found this out recently from them and had previously assumed all vendors sold their niobium the same way in regards to size.)
-shipping and rush fees are more expensive than C and T (But still less than The Ring Lord)

I've also ordered from Spiderchain and UnkamenSupplies on Etsy. Spiderchain is very lovely to deal with and she's very helpful but I don't order much from her because of the way the ring measurements are sold. Unkamensupplies has very nice colored rings and scales but are way too pricey, even to justify high quality.

I go back and forth mainly between the three I mentioned above depending on what I need, how fast I need them and what my designs call for.

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 pm

With the exception of a few kits my relatives got me, I've always made my own rings. It's cheaper that way, and if I need to switch AR I can do so fairly easily (a transfer punch set from Harbor Freight gives you all the mandrels you'll typically need). $20 will get you 1 lb. of 0.030" Al welding wire at Home Depot, and I'v eyet to put a significant dent into my roll despite making Christmas gifts for the entire family, two necklaces for the wife, S-hooks for steel pieces (it's a safety thing; the steel is HAAARD), and playing around with various weaves. My cuts aren't always the best, I'll admit, but if you can work that out it's the cheapest and most versetile way to get links there is. Not, however, the fastest.

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Littlemetalmerchant, you deserve a award for the quality of information you give!

Posted on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Great info littlemetalmerchant - thanks Very Happy

Thanks for all your replies everyone! I will definatly be looking into all these places Smile

Posted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 am

Etsy is ok for Kits and limited I only want to make One thing then move onto another medium kind of project.

Ebay has a few regular sellers like Martin that have decent stuff.
sizes are often limited and its mostly to draw more people to the main webpage for their other produce.

I have a saw cutting setup so I make most of my own rings,
TRL has better prices if your ordering over 300 in product, sometimes you can find other local people to organize a bulk buy. Its fairly easy to hit the 300 mark if you have money to invest on materials.
A lot of the Etsy rings actualy come from TRL and people simply repackage and sell them in smaller bags. Being "supplies" etsy does not care where they come from.

I have purchased other items from FMG this way with good sucess.
It often takes another week or two for the person organizeing the buy to process everything that comes in and sort boxes before double checking and finaly reshipping for distribution.

Posted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 am

I just placed an order with C and T Designs. They have great prices Smile

Posted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 am

No prob! Happy to help!

Posted on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:42 pm

I have bought rings from TheJumpRingLady.com. It is run by someone named Cheri. She makes her own saw-cut rings in limited sizes and lots of colors. She is very responsive on email to any questions. The rings close beautifully. Not sure about a price comparison, because I am a newbie.

Posted on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:24 pm

So far I really like C and T Designs and Mithral Armoury. Both are fast and fairly cheap and their rings are made well.

I did notice that the BA rings from C and T Designs are polished brighter though. The ones from Mithral Armoury still shine, but they are darker in comparison.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:23 am

littlemetalmerchant wrote:
I live in the US and I've ordered from The Ring Lord and US vendors.

The Ring Lord:

Pro:

-massive info and selection choices of jump rings and scales
-great vendor the start off of if you're starting out
-very reasonable prices which I feel balances out the shipping cost
-offers rush service

Con:

-quality for me is ok and color selections aren't too bad but I'm super picky, especially with consistancy
-certain metals require cleaning/tumbling
-order takes a good two weeks between processing and shipping..longer depending if it's not UPS. UPS is a week by itself for me.

UPS takes a week to get to you? But you live in the USA! I live in Australia, and when I've ordered from The Ring Lord, UPS takes two days to get here, the other side of the world. Confused

As for the time an order takes to be processed at TRL... it varies a great deal, in my experience. I've been lucky sometimes to order at times when they're all caught up, which means they can start working on my order almost immediately, and taken less than a week. Depends when you catch them, really.

Definitely true about some metals needing cleaning. Stainless Steel needs a shake with water and detergent. Brass, Bronze and Copper need a bit of a soak in water with some vinegar or lemon juice (or a teaspoon of citric acid powder, that works too).

The Bright Aluminium from TRL is dull compared to some other places. When I want bright Bright Aluminium, I buy it from Aussie Maille.

The quality is TRL's "glossy" Anodized Aluminium is pretty good, but the "matt" AA needs to be gone through to pick out the rings with tool marks and the rings where the colour didn't "take"; but it's not as if they don't warn you about that.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:12 am

The box often sits in US customs for 7-10 days.
Just waiting on the rubber stamp and sometimes an actual inspection.
If it gets flagged for inspection we get to wait longer.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 am

losthelm wrote:
The box often sits in US customs for 7-10 days.
Just waiting on the rubber stamp and sometimes an actual inspection.
If it gets flagged for inspection we get to wait longer.

Ah.

I certainly haven't had to wait so long. I think they file the paperwork at the same time as they pick it up - if certain cryptic entries in the UPS tracking info about "clearing" things are related to that. Maybe it clears faster here because both Canada and Australia are Commonwealth countries, so the paperwork gets processed at the same time as the parcel is travelling, so that it's all done by the time it gets here. Or gets done within a few hours, anyway. Sometimes I've seen - on the tracking info - that the parcel has arrived in Australia, but it's hanging around Sydney or Melbourne for half a day... that could be the customs processing. Or just normal stuff.

But never so much as a week.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next