Hot chains, vapors and glass question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Hot chains, vapors and glass question
Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:44 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So my brother works for a glass company and they are now making laminate glass and he got the job making it, hes been asking me if I can make a sheet of euro 4 into 1 to laminate between some glass (some one laminated coffee beans to make into a coffee table and I guess it looks cool), I mainly use galvanized steel which I know isn’t safe to heat up so I was thinking titanium or steel.

My brother says the oven/machine they use to laminate glass gets to 250 degrees and the room has climate control (so that the proses goes smoothly). I don’t know the melting (or vapor making) temperature of any of these metals or aloes …

So if I do this, can I use my normal galvanized steel(since people won’t be near the fumes), or should I use something else like aluminum, titanium, stainless steel or something else?

Thanks in advance to any one that knows anything Smile (ah, theres no heart smiley)

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 am

I'd say, if you're going to go through the trouble to embed maille in glass, you might as well use something prettier than galvy. Now as for the temperature, do you mean 250 degrees or 2500 degrees? If only 250, then you would be well below the melting point of whatever metal you choose, unless you choose something like mercury or sodium.

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Right, glass melts at temperatures closer to 2,500 degrees, but is that temperature necessary for the laminating process?

Usually there is a layer of PVB (Polyvinyl butyral) between the layers of glass, processed at 158 degrees F (70 degrees C), well-below the melting point of metals suitable for chainmaille.

Submissions: 18

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

The OP also, will want to keep in mind that both Stainless Steel and Titanium can and will change colour with the application of heat...

I am not sure if 250 degrees will change it much, or what it will change it too, but the possibility exists...

I guess it also depends if your talkin about Celcius or Fahrenheit..

You might want to check out the following article:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=9110

Or maybe some of these will be useful:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/subcat.cgi?key=13

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Right, glass melts at temperatures closer to 2,500 degrees, but is that temperature necessary for the laminating process?

Usually there is a layer of PVB (Polyvinyl butyral) between the layers of glass, processed at 158 degrees F (70 degrees C), well-below the melting point of metals suitable for chainmaille.

i might of misunderstood him, i'll double check the temperature he said, i thought he said two hundred and fifty, it might have been twenty five hundred though (talk about blond moment lol)

Shadowknight wrote:
The OP also, will want to keep in mind that both Stainless Steel and Titanium can and will change colour with the application of heat...

I am not sure if 250 degrees will change it much, or what it will change it too, but the possibility exists...

I guess it also depends if your talkin about Celcius or Fahrenheit..

Fahrenheit, i should have clarified that...
ive only started looking into how they can be colored, so far i think steel might not color because it need oxygen. thanks for the links

thank you drahcus, rognvald and shadowknight

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1