King's dragonscale
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

King's dragonscale
Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:55 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Does anyone have any ideas or tutorials for making king's dragonscale.

Here is a link to the page:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=280

It is combination between dragonscale and king's mail

I have some ideas about how it might be constructed, but would be grateful for other views or ideas

Thanks and please reply soon!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:40 pm

It looks like it's just dragonscale, but the large rings have been replaced with a pair of a larger and a smaller ring that fit inside each other like in King's Scale

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Well, King's Dragonscale can be woven like Dragonscale is - just the AR selection is different. For tutorial, I'd prefer the Dragonscale (CGI; Preclose Small Rings) one, adjusted to the additional large 'princeing' rings.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 582

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't agree with the name of this weave.

What changes King's Maille (European 8 in 2) into King's Scale is: "two different sized rings that produces a very nice scaled effect".

The scale effect was applied to what is referred to as King's Dragonscale, however it is only done with one of the two ring sets. Therefore its name should be 1/2 King's Dragonscale Scale, as funny as that sounds, and there would be two versions of this weave.

King's Dragonscale should, by definition, refer to Dragonscale with every ring instance doubled.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 pm

<grin> You should maybe refer to Poor King's Scale - so the better name would be 'Poor King's Dragonscale' - and that name would be even compliant to Poor Queen's Scale's nomenclature. Very Happy

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 582

Posted on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:51 am

..Or even 1/2 King's Dragon Scale, which has a nicer ring to it.. Regardless, it's a nice weave and you should try it out.

To make up for hijacking this thread, I made a tutorial for this weave.

The weave requires three ring sizes. Each successive ring must be large enough to completely surround its predecessor.

Rings used:

metal | mandrel | ID / WD = AR
stainless | 27/128" (5.35mm) | .237" (6.02mm) / .048" (1.22mm) = 4.9
stainless | 19/64" (7.54mm) | .334" (8.48mm) / .048" (1.22mm) = 7.0
stainless | 3/8" (9.525mm) | .435" (11.05mm) / .048" (1.22mm) = 9.1

The smallest ring's OD is .333", which is below the second ring's ID of .334". The OD of this ring is .430", which is below the ID of the largest ring, .435". Regarding AR, a minimum difference of 2.0 (two wire widths) must be realized between each successive ring size.

This selection of ring sizes makes a nice King's Dragonscale. It is fairly flexible from side to side, but not very from top to bottom. I would place this combination at the top end of my recommended "sculpture use AR". Of course, 9.1 is a mighty hefty AR, which would be very weak in a lot of smaller wire sizes and softer metals, so one probably wouldn't go with sizes much larger. Utilizing different wire sizes for this weave is, of course, a possibility too, which would change the AR rules.

Rings shall hence forth be referred to as small, medium and large for this tutorial.

This weave goes together much like Dragonscale. Create two chains like so:

Set one on top of the other, allowing the smaller rings to sit inside the larger ones from the opposite chain.

Add a medium ring through two small rings from the previous row. This will connect the two separate chains together.

Close this ring.

Add a large ring surrounding the medium ring just added, making sure also to only go through the two small rings from the previous row.

Close this ring.

Add a medium ring through two rings from the previous row, passing through one of the ones passed through in the last step.

Close this ring and add another large ring, as you did two steps ago.

Close this ring and then add two sets of medium and large rings on the outside edges.

Unfortunately I switched the orientation of the weave at this step, which can be done by turning the weave upside down. Here we start adding a row of small rings along the back. Each small ring will pass through two medium and large rings each. Be careful to make sure the ring doesn't go through any other rings.

Add thee more small rings in the same fashion as the one added in the previous step. The picture shows the two on the left closed and the two on the right open.

All rings closed.

Actually, you will find it easier to add sets of small rings first, contrary to the first few steps in this tutorial, and also contrary to what some of the tutorials for Dragonscale demonstrate. Add three small rings along the back row.

Close each ring.

Now proceed to add a medium ring through the small rings added two steps ago.

And a large ring.

Two more of each to complete the row.

Another set of small rings.

Closing them, of course.

And so on, until you end up with a nice sample, or make it into something.

Expanding to the side should be fairly simple. It's probably easier to start with a row of the small rings before adding the large ones, as I seem to remember it being with regular Dragonscale.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1