Searching
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 2

Searching
Posted on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:19 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

When it comes to finding local maillers, the "sort by location" option only goes by the location as a whole. Can we get a breakdown by state? Mostly the current breakdown is by city, which, for those of us in small places, isn't very helpful.

OK, so my first project was six-color armor, done without a pattern...What can I say? I'm a masochist.

Submissions: 20

Re: Searching
Posted on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:54 pm

MassageDave wrote:
When it comes to finding local maillers, the "sort by location" option only goes by the location as a whole. Can we get a breakdown by state? Mostly the current breakdown is by city, which, for those of us in small places, isn't very helpful.

This is a very tricky prospect, due to the way 'Location' is currently recorded. The sort is currently by 'First Letter' of 'Location' in alpha format.

In your MyMAIL, you will see a 'Location' box, for you to freely type in what you wish... For example:
I live in Mississauga, ON, CANADA
I can choose to type in all of that, or Mississauga, ON, or Ontario, or Canada, or Mississauga, or, or... The list goes on.

While I can regex match state abbreviations, etc, to refine the search... It will never be foolproof. But consider it on the list.

I should also note, that I see that you haven't actually filled out your Location in you own profile... Coif LoL

Submissions: 35

Posted on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Would this be easier using something like maps.google or does that get into some kind of grey/black area of "no"? Could have a reference id per member, plot all reference positions (nameless points on a map), then relay queries matching required parameters (display names for points when queried through MAIL).

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I would also be very appreciative of any possible way to locate maillers in my immediate area. Hope this feature is possible at some future date. Thank!

Submissions: 576

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Aberrant Artificer wrote:
Would this be easier using something like maps.google or does that get into some kind of grey/black area of "no"? Could have a reference id per member, plot all reference positions (nameless points on a map), then relay queries matching required parameters (display names for points when queried through MAIL).

At one point there was a m.a.i.l. member map. I wonder if it still exists.

I think there was a The Chainmaille Board member map too, or was it a TRL Forum one? hmm

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

At one point there was a m.a.i.l. member map. I wonder if it still exists.

I think there was a The Chainmaille Board member map too, or was it a TRL Forum one? hmm

Frappr went belly up. The map is looooong gone.

Re: Google Map, I did a quick attempt at using the Google Maps API to plot member data, but it chokes for some reason... And only loads a portion of the data fed to it.
It's still on my list of things to muck with.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm

MAIL stalking for the win! Very Happy

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am

Jax25 wrote:

MAIL stalking for the win! Very Happy

Heh, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking... I mean, I personally have no problem telling people where I live, and it's easy enough for people to find out if they really want to. But I know a lot of people are paranoid about that stuff.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:57 am

Well it has always been, and will continue to be so, that nobody was or is forced to disclose her/his location at all, or dictated to what degree of precision this has to be done, if it is disclosed. The possibility to GIVE a personal location is already given, the matter lacks only a standardized format to do this, to allow an effective search. So if the current database locations could be parsed into a useable and standardized format, and future entries could be given only database compatible, this were surely of advantage.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:34 am

Yep. A separate field for country, then state/province/etc., then city, but all of them being optional, of course.

I list my location in order of significance, which is contrary to the social convention. It just makes sense to me. I also like dates in order of significance too year/month/day for this reason.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 am

Oh, you just like to be contrary. Laughing

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

nope, he's logic - I seem to be as well, as my location info starts also with country, and finishes with city... Very Happy

-ZiLi-

Edit: Typo removed Coif Smiley

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:56 am

Jax25 wrote:
Oh, you just like to be contrary. Laughing

Sometimes I do for its own sake- I can be stubborn sometimes. But not in this case. It's a logic thing, like ZiLi suggested.

ZiLi: I noticed after posting that you do the same. I guess great minds think alike!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1