Mead
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Quote:
Dinwar how does your wife make it? 2 days after bottling I start drinking, OK the same day, and it always tastes great.
Oh, that would hurt....I made the mistake of popping a bottle of her first batch of mead after it was in the bottle for one year, after fighting in a shield wall all day. I compare it unfavorably with being kicked by an emu (got empirical data on this--I was worse that night than the guy I know who was actually kicked by an emu). We let it set for another year, then served it at the wedding, and it was fantastic. I'm not sure why--I just know that that particular type of mead needed two years to age properly.

As for how to make it last, let me put it this way: I gave my wife a dagger once, because I know that if someone breaks in and she has a dagger, she's going to survive (I travel a lot, so it's not as paranoid as it sounds). When she says "Drink this and I stab you", I tend to take her pretty seriously. Coif LoL The other trick she uses is to bury it under a load of random stuff--we've got a box that holds one batch of mead in bottles, and once you throw some kitchen appliances on it and ignore it for a month, you tend to forget it's there.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:31 am

Dinwar wrote:
We let it set for another year, then served it at the wedding, and it was fantastic. I'm not sure why--I just know that that particular type of mead needed two years to age properly.

As for how to make it last, let me put it this way: I gave my wife a dagger once, because I know that if someone breaks in and she has a dagger, she's going to survive (I travel a lot, so it's not as paranoid as it sounds). When she says "Drink this and I stab you", I tend to take her pretty seriously. Coif LoL The other trick she uses is to bury it under a load of random stuff--we've got a box that holds one batch of mead in bottles, and once you throw some kitchen appliances on it and ignore it for a month, you tend to forget it's there.

Now that sounds like some good mead! I have a batch that I am just now finishing that is 2 years old and time has not improved, or diminished, it.

Your wife sounds like a talented person it would be fun to meet her some day.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:21 am

This reminds me does anyone have a good recipe for "pie" if you frequent fairre then you know what it is and how "powerfull" in the wrong hands it can be ^_^.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 am

Ah, mead. I've always wanted to take a crack at making my own, but I've always been terrified of doing something horribly wrong and poisoning myself blind, hehe.

_________

Being from the third world, BMR claims the right to speak in the third person.

Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 am

Started a batch of blackberry mead today

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 am

Quote:
I've always wanted to take a crack at making my own, but I've always been terrified of doing something horribly wrong and poisoning myself blind, hehe.
So long as you don't distill it you're okay. Far as I know, the issue with going blind/poisoning yourself is if you drink the first bit that comes out of a new batch in a still (I forget what it's called--foreshot, or something)--methanol has a lower boiling poin (65 C as opposed to ethanol's 70 C). So long as you don't boil the mead and drink the first bit that comes off it you're all right.

And if you DO boil your mead, I'm going to find you and hit you over the head with the bottle. Razz Mead doesn't need to be boiled and distilled.

Quote:
Now that sounds like some good mead! I have a batch that I am just now finishing that is 2 years old and time has not improved, or diminished, it.
We were at an SCA brewer's competition, and someone made the same mead my wife had. I tried some and said "You haven't let this sit long enough, have you?" A brewing laural came up, and was one of those laurals that people made room for--he's been doing this for decades and is one of the brewing gods in the kingdom. He took a sip and said "It's a little green. In a year, it'll be great." It's always nice to know that you have a clue what you're doing. Very Happy

How do you store your mead? We store it at room temperature, and don't filter it (just let the sediment drift to the bottom). We also bottle it after a year. Not sure if that's right, wrong, or indifferent, but that may affect how it ages--we leave the yeast in, so it still works.

mead
Posted on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm

I make my own mead too.
Im kinda a purist though, i dont really flavor the mead when i brew it, but crushed berries in the bottom of a mead glass is really good. I just have better luck with it if i use only water, honey, and a little yeast.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 am

if anyone can piont me in a direction, i'd love to start making it. been a long time since i had any. be nice to try my own, ya know? my brother father-in-law makes moonshine the old coot..lol had a shot of that the other night. way over powerd for me, was really good thou, he flavores it tasted like cherys (he used jolly ranchers to flaver it.. the cheater!)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Look around and see if you can find a bottle shop in your area. The one here sells kits that make things easier.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2