Gallery Items Size Limit Increase
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 20

Gallery Items Size Limit Increase
Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 pm || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

(EDIT: Post discussion, this is now an open Poll for members to readily VOTE on: http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16185)

Hey Folks,

So the Weave DB is in perpetual Beta, but almost to the point where I'm finished with it... I find myself turning my attention to the Gallery.

As it stands, members are allowed an unlimited number of 100kb images. I'd like to increase this limit, to allow users to upload higher quality/larger images.
With this comes webspace concerns, naturally... So what I am proposing is thus:

Setting aside 5-10Mb for a members Gallery Items... The exact number will depend on my math later on, but it will be between those two numbers.
This does impose a finite number of the amount of images a user can upload, but allows MUCH greater flexability.
(Existing members with Galleries greater than this limit would be grandfathered in, with a >100% data usage.)

5Mb would allow, for example (all averages based on >0 Gallery Count Members):
50 x 100Kb Images (Far less than the current member average.)
10 x 500Kb Images (Still less than the average, and MUCH higher quality.)
5 x 1Mb Images (Oddly, STILL less than the average, and we're talking desktop wallpaper quality here.)

10Mb would allow double the above, at the cost of possible future storage issues.

Thoughts?

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:18 pm

I think the idea is really good.... 100k is fairly enaugh for a lot of pics, but sometimes you need bigger pictures (especially with armor-pieces).

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm

I think not requiring people to resize their images will give complaints like "Why can't I post more than two images in my gallery?", i.e. people that don't know anything about file size, uploading images straight out of their camera.

My thoughts: I think it's a good idea to increase, but maybe not a good idea to remove the individual file size limit. Also, I'm not sure if I like the idea that there's a maximum amount of images that members can contribute. Maybe a combination could work, for instance where each member can post a maximum of ±4Mb of <1Mb (large) image files, on top of the current infinite number of <100Kb (small) images?

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

xzorby wrote:
My thoughts: I think it's a good idea to increase, but maybe not a good idea to remove the individual file size limit. Also, I'm not sure if I like the idea that there's a maximum amount of images that members can contribute. Maybe a combination could work, for instance where each member can post a maximum of ±4Mb of <1Mb (large) image files, on top of the current infinite number of <100Kb (small) images?

I second that idea. I have yet to post anything on the gallery but if, in the future, I do want to post, having a limit of smaller pictures would be kind of a drag. I'd much rather post lots of little/compressed images than 10 or 15 huge ones.

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 pm

If possible, the idea to make a limit for big pictures and none for small ones is really good.

@xzorby
of course, you are right, but my first thought was; Is that really that different to the threads where people are complaining about file-size limits and/or asking how to resize a picture? ^^

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 pm

DL, is raw storage or bandwidth more of the concern here?

For the image size, I'd say that a total amount is a valid idea, but do we want people to have to start removing their earliest work just to be able to upload more? The number of images per person varies so much that it doesn't seem like a consistent solution.
I'd be more of a fan of keeping the "unlimited" and upgrading the max size to maybe 200kB, but with a script on the server side that will resize/reencode the image for the user if they upload one larger that the max, with big red notices that it is happening to alert the people who would like more control over the size themselves. We've all learned how to remotely link our files to the gallery forum, and the majority of "fullviews" are when an image is new, so I don't see a problem with keeping it that way and having the user provide a higher quality image at another site of their choosing if they so desire - this would also allow MAIL to keep the gallery watermark-free (at least user watermarks), while allowing the users to add one to the full quality images if they desire.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 am

CShake wrote:
DL, is raw storage or bandwidth more of the concern here?

Yes.
It's a bit of both, to be honest. We use 2/3rds of our bandwidth monthly.

We currently use 2/10ths of our storage space, but increasing the size of user uploadable images has the potential to kill that in a hurry.

In the interest of future-proofing the site, it really is a matter (in my mind at least) of either:
A size limit on files near, or at the current limit.
OR
A size limit on total Gallery upload space.

Realistically, the amount of users with submissions even close to the maximum is fractional, and this would encourage people to submit their best work to the gallery...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 am

5Mb seems reasonable....my question would be a members ability to edit, resize and delete submissions....have control over their gallery "album" so to speak? DL, is there an app for that? sorry...

Kodiak-

"Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, find opportunity."
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 28

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:31 am

I don't think pictures should need to be larger than 500KB unless you are printing it or use it for a desktop. Heck, even 300KB seems a bit large for use in a website. Most of the images I end up saving for my own archives end up being only around 120KB, with the largest up around 200KB.

If done correctly, it is fairly easy to keep images well under 200KB for viewing on a website.

If it does come to having a limit on total uploads for the gallery, I would be more than in favor of still having a restricted single file size of around 400KB.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 153

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:31 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

Realistically, the amount of users with submissions even close to the maximum is fractional, and this would encourage people to submit their best work to the gallery...

Do you have any reason to believe that any members are not submitting to the gallery because of currents size limits? I'm not arguing that in any way only wonder as it never really crossed my mind personally when considering submitting something. Not that I have used the gallery here as of yet. I do use the same functions on a number of sites with similar restrictions and find it so common to respect a file size it doesn't even factor into my choice. A limit on number on the other hand would severely limit what I would want to share, or as mentioned it would force me to delete content in time.

Forgive me if the limits on size are different for articles and tutorials. The few I added I think the size limits were similar. I can certainly understand wanting the ability to upgrade the images in those submissions as they serve a purpose where a more quality image might make it more effective. Allowing larger images in those cases(even if a limit on how many images per submission were imposed) could be beneficial.

In the end if I had to choose size over number the numbers win every time.

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Derailed wrote:
Do you have any reason to believe that any members are not submitting to the gallery because of currents size limits?

Nope, just trying to offer options.

Derailed wrote:
In the end if I had to choose size over number the numbers win every time.

Let me answer that non-question with an illustration:

Number of users with total number of submissions (Articles, Weaves and Gallery Items) greater than 50: 29
Number of those users active in the past year: 19
Number of users active in the past year with more than 50 GALLERY items: 6
Number of users active in the past year with more than 50 gallery items who are on the MAIL B.O.D.: 4

It's true, numbers do win every time... And playing the percentages, I'm sure you can tell what percentage of users we're talking about here that have hit their (theoretical) 5Mb quota.
4 BOD... 3 of them have been around since MAIL began, one has been around a fairly long time as well. Two regular members... 1 has been around for a few years, uploading a fair amount of stuff. 1 is a newer member who is a prolific uploader.
6 of 12616 (total membership)
Or to be more fair:
6 of 3919 (total number of users who have posted or uploaded something.)

You increase the quota to 10Mb... And nobody, in the history of MAIL, has hit it. Even people that have been here from day 1.

I understand the generic fear of having an unlimited something taken away, to be replaced with a limited something... But in this case, I honestly believe the limited something is a superior product...
If the membership disagrees, so be it, I have no problem maintaining the status quo, I merely wanted to introduce an option.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 pm

You have a good point that people just don't upload that much, and that an upload limit would encourage people to only submit their best stuff.

I'm all for increasing the file size limit. If it means a limit on the total size of all images, then I'd still prefer that over the current situation. And I agree with TrenchCoatGuy that the individual file size limit doesn't have to be increased by much (<500Kb is fine, <200Kb is great too).

Would it be possible to allow members that contribute a lot of useful stuff to the site, to be granted a higher total limit? Of course this wouldn't be done automatically (or else the idea of a 'limit' would be pointless), but for instance by decision of an admin after appealing for a higher limit? It would allow the current members with a lot of images to keep contributing new stuff, while still encouraging people to keep their images small and/or only submit their best work.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 pm

i would be in favor of the upload limit, if we are going to commit to revisiting it when the limit is reached by someone.

if a member has 5 1mb images, they probably don't need more storage. if they have 5mb worth of 150k images, maybe it is worth looking at raising the bar..

alternately.. would it be possible to have different storage space quantities for different people?

if someone is a prolific uploader, and is using small image sizes as well as uploading quality content.. i feel we need to support and encourage that.

set a default for everyone of 5mb. if a specific member reaches that, we can assess their gallery and see if they really do need more space. according to the numbers this is rare enough that it wouldn't be a hassle to review the account of a member who uploads that much content.

is this a coding nightmare? i don't want a difficult solution.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 am

I'm not a fan of waiting for something to become a problem before acting on it. This sounds like a proactive, reasonable thing to do. I am also not a fan of making "special cases" for people. If a reasonable limit is applied, it should apply to everyone.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 am

Just popping in from lurking through some recent amazing pics to say I would support a gallery limit increase. The quality of the gallery images is something that has always kinda bugged me when looking for inspiration, or showing off the gallery as a what can be done type thing. 100k doesn't really allow the true beauty of some of the work in there to be shown.

While I can understand Bandwith / Storage issues, might I also point out there are hosts that don't limit these, such as Hostmonster and Hostgator and possibly others I don't know about.

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086"> Maille Code</a> V2.0 T4.7 R4.1 Ep~f Fds MNb.a&Ag.a Wh Capw G1.6/0.6 I6.4/2.0 N28.26 Pj Djs S08
<a href="http://chubbs-99.deviantart.com">Deviant Art</a>

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next