Strictly Spanish weaves?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Strictly Spanish weaves?
Posted on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was wondering if there were any weaves that came specifically from Spain. My fiance' has a roll in the Renn Fair this year and is playing a spaniard. I was going to make some full persian chains for her, but if there were any spanish ones it'd work better, ya know? Thanks in advance!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Stictly Spanish in origin? No, not really. The closest you will probably get to an historical, geographical origin is Europe.

There is historical evidence that the weave now commonly known as European 4-in-1 was used in the making of armor by Europeans. There is also historical evidence that what we now refer to as Japanese 4-in-1 was used in the making of armor by the Japanese. As far as I know, there is no historical connection between the weaves we now refer to as Persian, and the geographical area of Persia (Iran). The majority of weaves are modern-day discoveries, and "family" names such as European, Japanese, and Persian are used as a system of classification, not as a literal reference to a geographical origin.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 57

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 am

Strictly spanish no, they would have been very familiar with the "Euro" family
thought to be of Celtic origin, was adopted and widely used by the Romans, and in turn pillaged by Carthaginians as spoils of war, they likely would have been wearing Euro X-1 when they occupied major spanish cities such as Barcelona.

as Lorraine mentioned I would tend to stay away from the Persian as a whole ,IF period correctness is going to be a BIG deal, if not rock out.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:07 am

And to make it worse... Maille wasn't really used to make jewellry, that is a modern thing, too. The only exception I know of is a bracelet out of e4-2 from the celtic, found in britain, if I remember correctly (at least, it is the only finding that I know of).

Had to bring the sam news to my girlfriend after she thought some of the chains and bag would be great for medival markets...

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:20 am

i don't remember where i saw this but isn't there a style called spainish chain that squishes and folds single links to make a roundish chain? anyone know if thats a modern name? id imagine it would be a trick to make though needing to fuse the link closed and all.

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 am

@djgm
Don't know which weave you mean, but afaik the only historical weaves are; e4-1, e4-2, japanese 4-1

don' really know about e6-1 and I'm no expert on japanese weaves, but for europe, it is only those 2-3 weaves.
There is also a weave called "turkish round" which doens't come from turkey either... those are, like lorraine said, just names without any implication of geographical origin.

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:27 pm || Last edited by stry on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

I think I remember some one showing pictures of Helms replica he had seen in a museum in Ireland about year ago on TRL. I can remember how old he said the original had been, but if it was old enough to be early Celtic/Gaelic there is a small chance that it could have been use in the Gealic parts of Spain.

djgm wrote:
i don't remember where i saw this but isn't there a style called spainish chain that squishes and folds single links to make a roundish chain? anyone know if thats a modern name? id imagine it would be a trick to make though needing to fuse the link closed and all.

Foxtail

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:41 pm

stry wrote:
djgm wrote:

Foxtail

See also: http://theringlord.org/derakoninstructions/foxtail.html

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:48 pm

stry wrote:
I think I remember some one showing pictures of Helms replica he had seen in a museum in Ireland about year ago on TRL. I can remember how old he said the original had been, but if it was old enough to be early Celtic/Gaelic there is a small chance that it could have been use in the Gealic parts of Spain.

That would be awesome to see. If this would be true, I would really love to see the pictures. I want to be a celtic-reenactor, so if this would fell into my time-frame... ^^

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm not familiar with any historical examples of Helm/Parallel. That would be very interesting to see.

This page:
http://www.modaruniversity.org/Blackmaille10.htm
refers to existing historical examples of HP 4-1 (examples of the weave, not the name HP 4-1) "chains-of-state". If anyone knows where they are, I would be very interested in that too.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:06 am

What era of Renn Fair spain does the character come form... costuming changes a bunch between 1650 and 1350. Usualy generic spaniard is more Inigo montoya from the princess bride then anything else.

There are a number of jewlery chains that that can be documented.
Such as hearingbone and some of the more common curb chains.

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 am

I found the old forum posting, but the picture did not appear to survive the migration of when TRL switched forum engines.

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7783-some-results-of-new-research/page__p__60437&#entry60437

Found this post too it might help.

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/Index.php?/topic/8337-historical-chainmaille-jewlery/

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 am

would anyone know what pattern the norse and the danes would have used im thinlin e4-1 but i want to be positive

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:27 am

Chances are it is E 4in1, Just about every thing else is modern.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:39 am

k thx

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1