coloring rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 3

coloring rings
Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:30 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

hope this is in the right forum. i would love to know how to color rings, not with heat or anything like that. im talking about actually coloring them, for example: mild steel-red,blue,green, ect. thanks Smile

-42-the meaning of life, the universe, and everything

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:20 pm

You'd have to look into how to do it for the individual materials, but I'm guessing electroplating would be your best bet

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Orgizmo wrote:
You'd have to look into how to do it for the individual materials, but I'm guessing electroplating would be your best bet

dam i was hoping for a more cost effective method but i suppose i can look into electroplating.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:14 pm

There are a few chemcial options but many of them require some heat,
other materials have better options Ti and Ni both can be colored with just a bit of eletricity and some some salt water.
Anodized aluminum is almost the same process but uses specialy dyes,
I would lookup patinas for steel.

Posted on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 am

unfortunately losthelm has probably the best bit of advice here, look at different pitina shades, for steel. because unfortunately, steel is to hard to maintain any type of surface coating and be worked with by pliers. any coating is either going to chip off, or scratch off during the weaving process. as for electroplating steel, you have very limited options here as well and unfortunately will not achieve the results your looking for, you have nickle/chrome/copper/gold/silver plating, but nothing for colors.

but also, losthelm brought up another good suggestion as well. consider using a different material, titanium, nubiom and aluminum, can all be anodized in a rainbow of colors.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 am

im doing some experiments with painting steel. i had to clean it cause the coating is messy and a pia to get of the skin and so far i found that if you lightly sand to rough it up and then clean it after then use a spraypaint metal primer and then paint it with a spray color you like it works but you have to have the peice already or as said before itll flake of and itll take a few thick coats but to me its a heck of a lot easyer and cheaper than heat or chemicle coloring the rings but i dont know if you want to go through all that

Posted on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 am

LordVladekk wrote:
im doing some experiments with painting steel. i had to clean it cause the coating is messy and a pia to get of the skin and so far i found that if you lightly sand to rough it up and then clean it after then use a spraypaint metal primer and then paint it with a spray color you like it works but you have to have the peice already or as said before itll flake of and itll take a few thick coats but to me its a heck of a lot easyer and cheaper than heat or chemicle coloring the rings but i dont know if you want to go through all that

do you have any pictures? wouldn't that still wear off with little time?

Posted on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 pm

i dont have any pics now but i might soon but it shouldnt rub off as long as it has a surface to grip like the sanded metal and there is a primer to help it stay i will post some pics and a article when i have them.

Posted on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 am

i think the rub off he is referring to is from the rings moving and rubbing agents each other. thats the problem with mail is its not stationary like the hood of a car. as the sheet moves the individual links or rings begin to move as well rubbing agensts the ones there connected to. eventually its going to wear off the paint no matter what surface prep you do... its just the natuer of mail. ever the colored anodized aluminum color will eventually wear off due to movement and rubbing

Posted on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 pm

yeah i just found that out no matter how roughed up the wire is the paint rubs off looked cool though i guess u have to go with heat coloring sorry

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1