In Need of a Mentor
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

In Need of a Mentor
Posted on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello all! I am currently a Junior in high school, at my school a requirement for graduation is a Senior Project. In this Senior Project the student chooses something that he/she wishes to do, gets a mentor and works on it semi-independently with occasional reports to the school and occasional meets with the mentor, who guides and helps the student along.

I am planning on attempting to make a full set of maille, currently a hauberk and a coif, but this can easily be added to, out of stainless steel. For this I would be winding and cutting my own rings, which is new to me, and studying a bit of background information on the history of chainmaille and it variations throughout the world and history.

I guess a little background info on my history of maille is appropriate here. I have been making chainmaille casually for about 5 years. I would get really into it, then get busy with school, friends or another hobby and it would phase from my life. Somehow, most likely due to my fascination with it, I have always come back to maille as my hobby of choice. I currently have only ordered rings online, liking the saw cut look, but as I said, I wish to wind and cut my own for this project. My experience is varied, I have fiddled with various weaves and made fairly simple bracelets, necklaces and such, the one thing I have made a lot of, are little dice bags that I used to sell at tournaments (Magic: The Gathering) to help support my casual little hobby, so far I have yet to make anything truly grand.

Back to mentoring, I currently live in Washington state, as North-West as you can get, about an hour and a half with ferry ride from Seattle. As I move a lot (my father is in the Navy) I have been unable to ever get involved in a local maille community, so I come now in the hopes of someone being in my general area. If anyone has the experience necessary to help me along with this as a mentor please email me at DMSHA4@yahoo.com for more info, I can give you a more full look at what would be needed from you, and how you would help me.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to any responses. Coif Smiley

Posted on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 am

Well, I can't really help you with the mentoring... I'm a Junior myself and 2-3 hours from Seattle, depending on the route I take... If I ended up moving to Seattle it might be a different story, but that'd be at least a few months up the road. However, I know there are at least a few maillers in the Knights of Seattle, so you could ask around there. Also, if you're familiar with the TRL forum, I know there are a few people around Seattle there too. In any case, good luck!

Posted on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 pm

You might try the local reinactment or role playing community just to cast a wider net.
Usualy there is atleast one peron in the local group with maille experiance.

I know the SCA has a lot going on in that area.
http://www.antir.sca.org/

Good luck finding a mentor.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

You've got this bookmarked, correct? 'Berk and coif, Section 4.

Its directions replicate a 15th-century German made shirt in the Wallace Collection. Shorter than a hauberk, but it is believed among the mail-study community that shirts were made that way all over Europe and all the time. This shirt is also a bit after the real heyday of mail armor, as plate harness had become the state of the art by then. But they were still wearing mail for keeps then.

Stainless wire is of course strictly modern and radically shiny. And suited to the humid environment you're in. Also four to five times as costly as galvanized steel wire.

For cutting stainless wire, use enough cutter: mini boltcutters or small bolties (c. 14" handles) are among the fastest of hand cutting tools. Slipjoint pliers will do the work of weaving this stout material together. You'll develop a strong grip, as SS wire is fairly stiff.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:52 am

losthelm wrote:
You might try the local reinactment or role playing community just to cast a wider net.
Usualy there is atleast one peron in the local group with maille experiance.

I know the SCA has a lot going on in that area.
http://www.antir.sca.org/

Good luck finding a mentor.

Thanks, I had been looking for this but had forgotten the name. I'll be sure to check it out for further help.

Konstantin the Red wrote:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

You've got this bookmarked, correct? 'Berk and coif, Section 4.

Its directions replicate a 15th-century German made shirt in the Wallace Collection. Shorter than a hauberk, but it is believed among the mail-study community that shirts were made that way all over Europe and all the time. This shirt is also a bit after the real heyday of mail armor, as plate harness had become the state of the art by then. But they were still wearing mail for keeps then.

Stainless wire is of course strictly modern and radically shiny. And suited to the humid environment you're in. Also four to five times as costly as galvanized steel wire.

For cutting stainless wire, use enough cutter: mini boltcutters or small bolties (c. 14" handles) are among the fastest of hand cutting tools. Slipjoint pliers will do the work of weaving this stout material together. You'll develop a strong grip, as SS wire is fairly stiff.

Thanks! This will help me a lot. Great site and thanks for the tips, i'll be sure to keep them in mind.

PeachieClean wrote:
Well, I can't really help you with the mentoring... I'm a Junior myself and 2-3 hours from Seattle, depending on the route I take... If I ended up moving to Seattle it might be a different story, but that'd be at least a few months up the road. However, I know there are at least a few maillers in the Knights of Seattle, so you could ask around there. Also, if you're familiar with the TRL forum, I know there are a few people around Seattle there too. In any case, good luck!

I had completely forgotten about TRL. I'll have to post there as well. I'll also look into this "Knights of Seattle", haven't heard of them before.

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:27 am

Oh noes!!!! It's spreading!! *grabs hauberk and hides in apocalypse bunker* I also have to do a Senior Project (or "Senior Experience" as they are now calling it here). However, we are allowed to talk to a mentor via e-mail or other means if in-person meetings are too inconveniet. If you can't find someone close enough, you may want to check with whomever is in charge if that is acceptaple.

Are you dead-set on stainless? Galvanized is cheaper, easier on the hands, and available at most hardware stores.

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:12 am

Konstantin the Red wrote:

You know, I've never thought of Washington as humid... I suppose we do see a lot of rain now that I think about it though. Now that I think about it though, I'm not sure if I have to do a Senior Project or not... Online school confusion! >.< I guess I'll just have to ask though. I really hope not...

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:12 am

fredfredburger wrote:

Are you dead-set on stainless? Galvanized is cheaper, easier on the hands, and available at most hardware stores.

ARG I cant understand anybody using galvanized steel for such a big project.

When you spend so much afford and work into something it should be worth the few extra bucks for a good metal.

Really galvi will look bad, espacially on armor the cover will rub off too fast.

If you want the medieval look use mild steel and live with the rustiness or use those rings diped in hot oil. ( hell i really dont know the right word in english )

If you don t care for authenticity i higly recommend stainless. With that you get a piece of mail which will last for a lifetime and will look just gorgeous.

Just my 2 cents but i get crazy about galvi for hauberks Wink

Posted on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am

I'm fairly set on stainless steel just because it's the most modern metal other than titanium that I could think of, but titanium is WAY expensive... I want to show a modern-er one and then tell about differences in older chainmaille. Plus I want to be able to hang onto them for a long time so I can see my first attempt at a Hauberk/coif, I don't know a thing about rust prevention other than that stainless you don't need to worry about.

I'll have to ask if I can just communicate with a mentor instead of physical meetings. I'm fairly certain that it has to be actual meet-ups though.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 am

Zerwas wrote:
ARG I can't understand anybody using galvanized steel for such a big project.

When you spend so much afford and work into something it should be worth the few extra bucks for a good metal.

Really galvi will look bad, espacially on armor the cover will rub off too fast.

[snipped]

Just my 2 cents but i get crazy about galvi for hauberks Wink

Well, I wouldn't, having a fair bit of experience of mail that gets beaten on with rattan. My experience says this: stainless is fine, but galvanized doesn't "rub off" in any manner to speak of over the likely life of the shirt, camail, or fauld -- ten to twelve years of regular stick fighting. For affordable metal coverage, galvanized performs plenty well at one quarter the cost per kilo of stainless. Repairs on butted mail are inevitable. Cost of repair materials should not be an obstacle to doing your maintenance when your shirt gets the "metal moths."

As for the use of non-galvanized wire, such as "black annealed rebar tie wire" or "baling wire," well, these very very soft wires are suited to making riveted links. They are too soft for butted links -- really hopeless.

Either wire is pretty humble looking stuff -- either a fairly dark gray like weathered galvy wire, or a tinge of rust with the tie-wire.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:02 pm

well there might be quality differences in galvanized but on all the work i have done with, it rubs off too fast for my understanding

( i have done a lot of japanese cubes and juggling balls / hacky sacks with galvi but to be true no tunic)

i have also seen a lot of mail done in galvanised on larps beeing quite uggly so i would stand the opinion that galvi is a bad choice

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Galvy is fine for armour.
Ive made 2 shirts out of now.

Its especially good if your at school and cant afford much! (I managed to buy in stuffs to make a shirt whilst at school)

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

DMSHA - did you ever find out about a non-face to face mentor. If you got stuck and can't find one, but can do a long distance I may be able to help you out. I have never done a hauberk and coif, but if you get in a bind...

As far as materials go I would listen to Konstantine he really knows what he is talking about.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Senior Project
Posted on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't know about Washington, but Oregon law states that all seniors (in public school) must do a senior project, so Online public schools here also require a senior project.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:47 pm

All schools in Oregon need to do a senior project now?? Whew! Glad I graduated in 1995. Coif LoL

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1