Functional mail
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 7

Functional mail
Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

At first: I apologize that I didnt check the search for relating topics, but this is just a short specific question and besides the common running discussion in the net, the opinion of the members of this forum are the most trustful imho:

Sumone asked me to do sum functional mail for him and i think to realize that, European 6:1 and an AR as small as possible is a good point (having first exp with coiling using 1,6mm-wire is a good base for a try i think).

So what do you think? Got better ideas, tips, hints to manufacture a mail with a possible max of protection?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 pm

This might answer your question.

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9390-61-chainmail/page__view__findpost__p__70734

Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R4.4 Ef Fe4.1 MRb W$ C$ G0.8-1.6 I2.4-13 N9.6 Pc Dcjs Xg12 S10

Happy to add a MAIL badge if someone wants to make it.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:26 pm

It would be really helpful if you gave us your definition of "functional". I'm assuming you mean as protection from weapons. But what weapons? Sharp pointy things, foam bats, 2x4's? Also keep in mind that chainmaille can't and shouldn't be used as your only source of protection from weapons.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 pm || Last edited by Luziviech on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

um, i guess the guy wants go into streetfight one day, so dunno what kinda weapons exactly. But as i'm thinkin bout it, i guess such a samurai plated armor might be easier build and probably more effective as protection. So maybe better close this thread...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 pm

i like chainmail lamp shades

-42-the meaning of life, the universe, and everything

Submissions: 26

Re: Functional mail
Posted on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Luziviech wrote:
At first: I apologize that I didnt check the search for relating topics, but this is just a short specific question and besides the common running discussion in the net, the opinion of the members of this forum are the most trustful imho:

Sumone asked me to do sum functional mail for him and i think to realize that, European 6:1 and an AR as small as possible is a good point (having first exp with coiling using 1,6mm-wire is a good base for a try i think).

So what do you think? Got better ideas, tips, hints to manufacture a mail with a possible max of protection?

If what you looking for in "functional" mail is protection from live steel then first do not consider using butted rings........

The best for this use would be welded, riveted or split rings. Be prepared to invest a lot of money and Time. Stay with a fairly low AR 4-1 and you will be fine.

For the hauberks of the Dwarves were so fashioned that they rusted not but shone ever as if they were new-burnished. The Silmarillion

Posted on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 am

well, i think, in the end i'll use those plates that i've seen on the "kusari" samurai armors and i got a ton of key rings left here. But the guy who wanted me to do it, isn't sure rite anymore, if it wouldn't be better/easier to buy sum convenient armor.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

Dont mean to Crap on anyones birthday cake, But i have a Kevlar vest that i bought for a Mere £30 .

That would offer good protection.
Easy to get those too.

ALthough maille is much easier to conceal though ....

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm

yr not crappin on my cake that way. Kevlar vests was or maybe rather still is a topic we think about, but i dunno anything bout vests and armor, if it's about real protection and i can't judge this feature. So if you think it's a good protection, i'm gonna tell my mate to look after those.
I just opened this thread cos makin mail for protective issues was our first idea and tho i'm not keen on building such a time-consuming project, as a semi-professional taylor i'm certainly curious bout making garments from mail.

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Well my shirt is 1.6mm Wire, 6mm ID.
Its galvanised steel.
Its butted rings , And its pretty strong, I have stabbed it and it took the force of a knife...
But i wouldnt Guarantee it
Then again i hear that Kevlar isnt that good protection either as the Fibres can part..

Cheaper Easier route is a Kevlar Ex army surplus Vest.
Oooh you live in Germany
Cant you get me a Genuine issue German Bundeswehr Kevlar Helmet? Laughing

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/flpfj1ua.html
^^^ You can get it off there, But im sure in germany somewhere you would get it much cheaper elseware...
It Provides Excellent Coverage, Far superiour to Brit stuff in my opinion.[/img]

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:53 pm || Last edited by Luziviech on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

darksidedsam wrote:
Cant you get me a Genuine issue German Bundeswehr Kevlar Helmet? Laughing
There are two options:
1. I can search german ebay for ya, ask bout international shipping and so on
2. I go to the local army shop and ask for the price, international shipping and give you the details and their address
Sure, there could be a third option: I could ask suim friends, if they could ask sum other friends who are soldiers (i myself dun have any friends in the army), but i doubt that they sell that stuff rite from the army, thou there might be a tiny chance for black market issues. So, the choice is yours, if you really want me to help you/didn't mean it rhetorically.

(Just in case you need sumthin else from our army - they got an online-site for business based on bid invitations, but they don't sell in tiny amounts, but mostly in kg/masses: https://www.vebeg.de/web/de/verkauf/browse.htm )

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 pm

I really badly want one..
But see im on a budget of like £40 posted max...
I got outbidded on one i nearly got one for £39 the other day

i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo lol

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1