What did I do here?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

What did I do here?
Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:15 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So I started off trying to do a Byzantine sheet bracelet, weaving together just three lines in small rings for something a bit feminine.

But, after all was done, the 'wing rings' on either side were flopping about and were rather ugly. I removed them, then because that made the pattern a bit too loose, I put in some locking rings in their place. The end result is something fairly unByzantine-like... but quite attractive.

Does this pattern look familiar to anyone? I've browsed the Byz entries but haven't seen anything quite like this... Did I stumble upon something new, or just discover something I haven't seen yet?

Cheers!

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:49 am

Well that's a really fine one - just at the border of 'design' and 'weave'. There were times, when this would have been accepted 'hands-down' into the weave library as a successful weave modification/combo, but nowadays that's not more so easy. In fact there are many accepted weaves, that would not more be acceptable if submitted today - some of mine included. So maybe just submit it into gallery now, or wait for some further (especially admins') opinions before deciding if it's worth to submit as weave.

BTW: I made already some 'Dense Byzantine Sheet' bracelets, so the problem of floppy outer 'wing' rings is a well-known one for me. The usual solution for this is the choice of the right Aspect Ratio; I prefer using some smaller rings for these. Other maillers use small extra-connector rings for immobilizing the wings. But anyway: I like your solution.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 57

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 pm

looks like inside out camelot

*edit* went looking , and I was completely wrong sorry ingnore me

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:03 pm

oneringshortofafullcoil wrote:
looks like inside out camelot

I oddly enough did the double take as well. "Wait, no, thats not helm-style in the middle, thats byz."

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Someone had suggested Rondo as well, but it's a Helm base and the edges are different, too...

Well, if it is new, I dub it 'Prothean'. Probably getting ahead of myself, though Razz

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 am

It looks similar to Conundrum http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=358

or Bydand http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=935

but neither is an exact match.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 am

hunneysue wrote:
It looks similar to Conundrum http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=358

or Bydand http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=935

but neither is an exact match.

I think it looks more like conundrum with a chewy byzantine center.

Posted on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Irrespective what it is, structurally, or what its heritage is - it's imho a great design. Without doubt.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 pm

I agree, it is very beautiful. I was merely showing the existing weaves it reminded me of. I really like the way it looks.

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:58 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Irrespective what it is, structurally, or what its heritage is - it's imho a great design. Without doubt.

-ZiLi-

Agrees completely.

As ZiLi said, this is one of those pieces that is on the edge of design and weave and is really to close to call. Right now, I would ask that you wait on submitting it to the weave library until we can better fix its organization. It may be that when the weave library is re-organized that it can then be submitted as a modification.

Gorgeous work though!!

What you made is very closely related to Bastardized weave, Byzantine Ringmaille, and Dense Byzantine Sheet Weave.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Narrina: well, it's already known that the weave's heritage was Dense Byzantine sheet, as it was made originally as such.

But the replacement of edge 'wings' by this unusual connector is imho 'unique enough' to be submittable stuff, as I never saw that in any other weave/design. Maybe this should be condensed down to the narrowest possible two-cell wide basis chain before submitting, resulting in a really fine looking alternating pattern. Ant nothing speaks against submitting the thread's opening post example to gallery, and reference to it in the submission as example of possible widening dense byz sheet-like...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 97

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 pm

ZiLi wrote:
...Maybe this should be condensed down to the narrowest possible two-cell wide basis chain before submitting, resulting in a really fine looking alternating pattern. Ant nothing speaks against submitting the thread's opening post example to gallery, and reference to it in the submission as example of possible widening dense byz sheet-like...

If he can refine it some more then, yes, I think it can be submitted as the issue of it being on the border between weave and design will likely disappear.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 am

Hmmn, refine it how? I'll take suggestions. Razz

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:21 am

TheRatKing wrote:

As told above, the 'refinement' would be to narrow down the weave to the narrowest possible strip, that shows the edge modification - using a single ring size this would be just a Byz row less; two instead of three. And not to forget: Give your used ring data in the submission, and if possible explore AR limits, so maillers who want to reproduce it aren't in the dark and have to 'guesstimate'.

Based on a single Byz row something similar/comparable following that principle would become a simple 4in2 chain with captive rings added to every 2nd full cell, given the captive ring size would be adjusted to fit. I must try that 2nd one - but this would clearly not more be really DenseByzSheet based, AND not more have the typical, destinctive character of this fine weave modification you showed in the opening post...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm

TheRatKing wrote:

I don't understand what "refine" means in this case either...
This is Byzantine with some elegant Celtic Visions-flavored (classic "sandwiching" of rings) edging down the sides. I think it's a lovely design just the way it is, and personally I wouldn't change a thing. "Refining" it would simply reduce it to its component weaves.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1