Recieved a question and needs advice on what answer to give.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 97

Recieved a question and needs advice on what answer to give.
Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:50 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I received an e-mail that was sent to one of this sites "contact us" e-mails. They were asking whether they were allowed to copy information from this site and use it for teaching chainmaille classes.

Now, my first instinct is to tell them to contact the individuals whose instructions they wish to copy/use and ask them directly for their permission to do so.

Opinions?

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Yes, they should contact the person who submitted what they want to use and obtain permission beforehand. All submissions have the submitter's name listed. They should click on that name and contact them through a PM or through any other contacts they have listed in their profile. I would also mention that copying and passing out material they find on the site, without the author's or photographer's permission is copyright infringement.

I'm fully aware people regularly copy and pass out things they find here and on other sites. But it's still infringement and we should politely educate people that it is.

Also, this is an excellent example of why the option of a CCC License is a good idea. The author could have the terms of copying their work right there in the submission. And all this contacting and getting permission would already be taken care of. Just sayin'. Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks, Lorraine! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I sent a response.

Edit: e-mailed her back.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1