Crotalus
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

right, spin that top image 180degrees, you end up with the same weave and lean, and it still fits into what I said

I finally add some semblance of a signature. And It's all because of the...

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Submissions: 97

Posted on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Except you are ignoring two rows of rings on either side of Cobra Hinge. These rings are not 'fluff'. They stabilize the rings so that the weave won't taper, and so are not decorative but are actually functional and thus make it act and appear differently.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 337

Posted on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:54 pm

I have looked into this very carefully and so far I'm not convinced they are the same. The differences are minimal but still enough to make them separate weaves/variations. I can totally see why it's being questioned but after making both the construction is different.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:59 pm

ok, 'fluff' is the wrong term I guess. My point is that if you had an infinitely large sheet of both of these weaves, they are the same thing, the connections pass exactly through their respective rings. The band that makes up the 'repeating' pattern is wider than a single row which means if you removed one of those rows, you are technically looking at a slightly different section.

elephantelephantelephant is the same as

antelephantelephanteleph.

Those 'support' rings you mention from the 'cobra' weave, I could add 2 more rows of rings to the top of them and they would be exactly the same as Crotalus, just like I could add 'eleph' to the front of that second string of letters to get the same thing. Sheet weaves are meant to be able to expand in all directions, they're not 'finite' at the edges.

p.s. I realize in the last couple posts I sound a bit 'heated' I do not intend to be attacking you if I've come across that way, and I am sorry if I do.

<a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=20641">My Maille Code</a> V1.0: T6.1 R5.3 Fhelm MAl.a W$s C$eb G1.6/.9 I9.5/4.8 Pd Ddjas S05 CCi

Submissions: 97

Posted on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Gnomeofdoom wrote:

p.s. I realize in the last couple posts I sound a bit 'heated' I do not intend to be attacking you if I've come across that way, and I am sorry if I do.

And I am also sorry if I sounded like I was getting defensive and responding in kind.

Perhaps then we should agree to respectfully disagree and let the discussion end with that. It really would be rather silly for either of us to get 'heated' over what is essentially a pile of rings Smile

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:22 pm

very well, and in my mind, I like the sound of 'crotalus' better and that is what I set out to weave in the first place :]

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3